Celebrity Floyd fans

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Hitch Hiker
Blade
Blade

Post by Hitch Hiker »

Jeremy Clarkson is a BIG (quite literally) Floyd fan.
Mr Tuck
Blade
Blade

Post by Mr Tuck »

Thats an interesting one. :o
whalaw
Embryo
Embryo

Post by whalaw »

Sarah Margaret Ferguson

Or, at least she listed both Pink Floyd and Roger Waters in the Top 5 of her iPOD play list, according to a recent article in the Atlanta Journal and Constitution.[/i]
emerald
Embryo
Embryo

Post by emerald »

'System Of A Down' and 'Anathema' and maybe 'KoRn' and some members of Metallica (!)
flosyd
Axe
Axe

Re: Celebrity Floyd fans

Post by flosyd »

Orlando Bloom (Actor) just went to see Roger Waters- The Wall tour-2011
http://justjared.buzznet.com/2010/11/30 ... anda-kerr/

Bryan Adams, he also played in The Wall-Berlin and also took autograph of David Gilmour in his guitar!

Brad Pitt, he bought a house where some songs of The Wall was recorded there! and also he named Pink Floyd in one of his favorite Wine!

Lisa Marie Presley's favorite album is The Wall , she used to listen during her highschool year! And I think she is a friend of India Waters!
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Johnny Depp is admittedly a big fan of Syd Barrett.
Flying pig437
Hammer
Hammer

Re:

Post by Flying pig437 »

moom wrote: Radiohead have said "Pink Floyd have a big influence upon us". Isn't it obvious...
R
When was that? Probaly in the early days or they said it sarcastically 'cause they've been known to get a bit techty about the PF comparison.
Flying pig437
Hammer
Hammer

Re:

Post by Flying pig437 »

Stephen wrote:
Mr Tuck wrote:

Using the term celebrity loosely, Loyd Grossman, TV presenter and chef, is also a fan and went up several notches in my appreciation when I heard that.
Grossman wrote the Rolling Stone review for Dark side when it first came out. Surprised you didn't know that.

Voila-
One of Britain's most successful and long lived avante-garde rock bands, Pink Floyd emerged relatively unsullied from the mire of mid-Sixties British psychedelic music as early experimenters with outer space concepts. Although that phase of the band's development was of short duration, Pink Floyd have from that time been the pop scene's preeminent techno-rockers: four musicians with a command of electronic instruments who wield an arsenal of sound effects with authority and finesse. While Pink Floyd's albums were hardly hot tickets in the shops, they began to attract an enormous following through their US tours. They have more recently developed a musical style capable of sustaining their dazzling and potentially overwhelming sonic wizzardry.

The Dark Side of the Moon is Pink Floyd's ninth album and is a single extended piece rather than a collection of songs. It seems to deal primarily with the fleetingness and depravity of human life, hardly the commonplace subject matter of rock. "Time" ("The time is gone the song is over"), "Money" ("Share it fairly but don't take a slice of my pie"), and "Us And Them" ("Forward he cried from the rear") might be viewed as keys to understanding the meaning (if indeed there is any definite meaning) of The Dark Side of the Moon.

Even though this is a concept album, a number of the cuts can stand on their own. "Time" is a fine country-tinged rocker with a powerful guitar solo by David Gilmour and "Money" is broadly and satirically played with appropriately raunchy sax playing by Dick Parry, who also contributes a wonderfully-sated, breathy solo to "Us And Them." The non-vocal "On The Run" is a standout with footsteps racing from side to side successfully eluding any number of odd malevolent rumbles and explosions only to be killed off by the clock's ticking that leads into "Time." Throughout the album the band lays down a solid framework which they embellish with synthesizers, sound effects and spoken voice tapes. The sound is lush and multi-layered while remaining clear and well-structured.

There are a few weak spots. David Gilmour's vocals are sometimes weak and lackluster and "The Great Gig in the Sky" (which closes the first side) probably could have been shortened or dispensed with, but these are really minor quibbles. The Dark Side of the Moon is a fine album with a textural and conceptual richness that not only invites, but demands involvement. There is a certain grandeur here that exceeds mere musical melodramatics and is rarely attempted in rock. The Dark Side of the Moon has flash -- the true flash that comes from the excellence of a superb performance.

- Loyd Grossman, Rolling Stone, 5-24-73.
princessDungan74D
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by princessDungan74D »

I didn't know Brad Pitt was a fan I guess that is another reason why he is so cool!

I think I hear Randy Jackson from American Idol is a fan!
Enish
Knife
Knife

Post by Enish »

David Bowie admits to being a fan of Pink Floyd, but mainly just the Syd Barrett era Floyd. When he was asked to perform at one of GIlmour's gigs he said he would do it if he could sing "Arnold Layne" that same night.

I hear that Simpsons creator Matt Groening is a bit of a fan, too.
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

Kirk out of Metallica is a fan, "The Black album is our Dark Side Of The Moon" which he says on the Classic Albums Black Album dooodve
czgibson
Blade
Blade

Post by czgibson »

Even John Lydon's changed his mind:

John Lydon: I don't hate Pink Floyd
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

azza200 wrote:Kirk out of Metallica is a fan, "The Black album is our Dark Side Of The Moon" which he says on the Classic Albums Black Album dooodve
They did do a rather iffy cover of One of these days

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efhm0HolD3M
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

I've always hated that version.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Re: Re:

Post by moom »

Flying pig437 wrote:
moom wrote: Radiohead have said "Pink Floyd have a big influence upon us". Isn't it obvious...
R
When was that? Probaly in the early days or they said it sarcastically 'cause they've been known to get a bit techty about the PF comparison.
Yes, it was early days. But to correct myself, I should have remembered what they said next, and that was basically that often PF influence came through other artists PF had inspired.
Still, after all, they did make a cover of WYWH...