The New Machine

General discussion about Pink Floyd.

Does anyone here like The New Machine?

Yes
9
47%
No
10
53%
 
Total votes: 19

User avatar
Tommy
Hammer
Hammer
Posts: 913
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2003 10:55 pm
Location: Austin

Post by Tommy »

I hate the new machines, but its ok, because i like AMLOR
User avatar
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer
Posts: 1083
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2002 4:52 pm

Post by Feeling Very Pink »

Ailbhe wrote:Anyone like"Marooned" here? At least it doesn't have any lyrics. :wink:
Heh heh. Yeah, it's a good track. I like the use of the open hi-hats at about 3:50. I just find it really effective. (For the Eric Clapton fans among you, Phil Collins' open hi-hats near the end of 'Behind The Mask' is another great moment.)

Won a Grammy in '95, for Best Rock Instrumental Thingie. :)
Last edited by Feeling Very Pink on Thu Feb 06, 2003 1:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer
Posts: 1083
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2002 4:52 pm

Post by Feeling Very Pink »

David Smith wrote:Forget all the people who say High Hopes.
Respek!
User avatar
dgsyd1
Knife
Knife
Posts: 345
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2002 1:52 am
Location: Michigan, US

Post by dgsyd1 »

Never been a fan of "A New Machine", but I have to say that "Terminal Frost" is one of my favourite Pink Floyd instrumentals.
User avatar
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer
Posts: 1083
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2002 4:52 pm

Post by Feeling Very Pink »

I've been waiting for someone to say that since 2001. :wink:
User avatar
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 16678
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2002 6:54 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Cheshire, England

Post by Keith Jordan »

dgsyd1 wrote:Never been a fan of "A New Machine", but I have to say that "Terminal Frost" is one of my favourite Pink Floyd instrumentals.
I love the sax solo in terminal frost. Very chilling. Great piece of music in my opinion. :)
User avatar
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer
Posts: 1083
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2002 4:52 pm

Post by Feeling Very Pink »

Actually, I'd go as far as saying it's the best thing on the album. In fact, I will! It's the most musically vibrant thing there, surely. :o

While we're on the Mom Lap Rea topic - I was browsing the reviews section of q4music.com, and some guy there said that 'The Dogs Of War' was the best track on the album! Hmm. I disagree. :roll:
User avatar
decampos
Hammer
Hammer
Posts: 525
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2003 1:24 pm
Location: London

Post by decampos »

Those two tracks make me wish I were dead. Although, strangely, they're not as suicide inducing as the whole of 'the division bell'.

Also, It's hard to believe that 'the dogs of war' is actually better than something.
User avatar
Prkl
Hammer
Hammer
Posts: 739
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2002 8:26 pm
Location: Finland

Post by Prkl »

Dogs of War is just a very, VERY poor song. I wouldn't even classify A New Machine(s) as a song...
User avatar
SomeGhostsStepOut
Hammer
Hammer
Posts: 1267
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2002 6:30 am
Location: Cuckooland

Post by SomeGhostsStepOut »

I don't mind these songs at all. I don't think they are that BAD of songs.
User avatar
David Smith
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 7074
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2002 12:54 pm
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Readin over my first message on this thread i have to say i must have been an ignorant prat and a half when i began this forum. Hmm, maybe a bit to harsh.

It's fair to say that they ARE indeed bad songs, but they create good intervals and divisions between the album and it's conclusion. The whole section of A New Machine part 1, Terminal Frost and A New Machine part 2 acts as a ncie intermission before the albums grand finale. As Gilmour's voice leaves us and his guitar kicks in it just seems to right and well thought out.

However, both songs are still crap.
User avatar
decampos
Hammer
Hammer
Posts: 525
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2003 1:24 pm
Location: London

Post by decampos »

David Smith wrote:
It's fair to say that they ARE indeed bad songs, but they create good intervals and divisions between the album and it's conclusion. The whole section of A New Machine part 1, Terminal Frost and A New Machine part 2 acts as a ncie intermission before the albums grand finale. As Gilmour's voice leaves us and his guitar kicks in it just seems to right and well thought out.
I think the songs are total fillers. Really boneheaded words. I think Gilmour was trying to be 'deep' but it's clear to me he was over-reaching.
User avatar
David Smith
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 7074
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2002 12:54 pm
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Yeah, but they fit the album in the same way that on the run fits dsotm.

In saying that they have the word crap all over them.
User avatar
decampos
Hammer
Hammer
Posts: 525
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2003 1:24 pm
Location: London

Post by decampos »

David Smith wrote:Yeah, but they fit the album...
*Sharp intake of breath!* you're saying they fit the album because the whole thing is crap??!
Richter_M.
Knife
Knife
Posts: 252
Joined: Tue Feb 11, 2003 4:19 pm
Location: WI/MI, US of A

Post by Richter_M. »

Wow, i can't believe I'm the only one here who likes A New Machine. I think that, together with Terminal Frost, they make a really sad story. The impression I get from the medley is that Pt.1 is the old machine, weary and depressed after a lifetime of monotonous work, and about to be replaced, Terminal Frost is the death and replacement process, and Pt.2 is the brand new machine looking forward to a long dreary life of...nothingness. Once Pt.2 starts up, it makes you realize that maybe the first machine shoulda been happy that its life was nearly over, b/c the dreariness was about to draw to a close. Kinda like "the grass is always greener," perhaps?

And Marooned is a beautiful instrumental, absolutely loaded with emotion. Didn't Gilmour win a grammy for it in '94 for Best Rock Instrumental, or did I just imagine reading that someplace?