Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tommy »

I hate the new machines, but its ok, because i like AMLOR
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Feeling Very Pink »

Ailbhe wrote:Anyone like"Marooned" here? At least it doesn't have any lyrics. :wink:
Heh heh. Yeah, it's a good track. I like the use of the open hi-hats at about 3:50. I just find it really effective. (For the Eric Clapton fans among you, Phil Collins' open hi-hats near the end of 'Behind The Mask' is another great moment.)

Won a Grammy in '95, for Best Rock Instrumental Thingie. :)
Last edited by Feeling Very Pink on Thu Feb 06, 2003 1:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

David Smith wrote:Forget all the people who say High Hopes.
Respek!
dgsyd1
Knife
Knife

Post by dgsyd1 »

Never been a fan of "A New Machine", but I have to say that "Terminal Frost" is one of my favourite Pink Floyd instrumentals.
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

I've been waiting for someone to say that since 2001. :wink:
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

dgsyd1 wrote:Never been a fan of "A New Machine", but I have to say that "Terminal Frost" is one of my favourite Pink Floyd instrumentals.
I love the sax solo in terminal frost. Very chilling. Great piece of music in my opinion. :)
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

Actually, I'd go as far as saying it's the best thing on the album. In fact, I will! It's the most musically vibrant thing there, surely. :o

While we're on the Mom Lap Rea topic - I was browsing the reviews section of q4music.com, and some guy there said that 'The Dogs Of War' was the best track on the album! Hmm. I disagree. :roll:
decampos
Hammer
Hammer

Post by decampos »

Those two tracks make me wish I were dead. Although, strangely, they're not as suicide inducing as the whole of 'the division bell'.

Also, It's hard to believe that 'the dogs of war' is actually better than something.
Prkl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Prkl »

Dogs of War is just a very, VERY poor song. I wouldn't even classify A New Machine(s) as a song...
SomeGhostsStepOut
Hammer
Hammer

Post by SomeGhostsStepOut »

I don't mind these songs at all. I don't think they are that BAD of songs.
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Readin over my first message on this thread i have to say i must have been an ignorant prat and a half when i began this forum. Hmm, maybe a bit to harsh.

It's fair to say that they ARE indeed bad songs, but they create good intervals and divisions between the album and it's conclusion. The whole section of A New Machine part 1, Terminal Frost and A New Machine part 2 acts as a ncie intermission before the albums grand finale. As Gilmour's voice leaves us and his guitar kicks in it just seems to right and well thought out.

However, both songs are still crap.
decampos
Hammer
Hammer

Post by decampos »

David Smith wrote:
It's fair to say that they ARE indeed bad songs, but they create good intervals and divisions between the album and it's conclusion. The whole section of A New Machine part 1, Terminal Frost and A New Machine part 2 acts as a ncie intermission before the albums grand finale. As Gilmour's voice leaves us and his guitar kicks in it just seems to right and well thought out.
I think the songs are total fillers. Really boneheaded words. I think Gilmour was trying to be 'deep' but it's clear to me he was over-reaching.
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Yeah, but they fit the album in the same way that on the run fits dsotm.

In saying that they have the word crap all over them.
decampos
Hammer
Hammer

Post by decampos »

David Smith wrote:Yeah, but they fit the album...
*Sharp intake of breath!* you're saying they fit the album because the whole thing is crap??!
Richter_M.
Knife
Knife

Post by Richter_M. »

Wow, i can't believe I'm the only one here who likes A New Machine. I think that, together with Terminal Frost, they make a really sad story. The impression I get from the medley is that Pt.1 is the old machine, weary and depressed after a lifetime of monotonous work, and about to be replaced, Terminal Frost is the death and replacement process, and Pt.2 is the brand new machine looking forward to a long dreary life of...nothingness. Once Pt.2 starts up, it makes you realize that maybe the first machine shoulda been happy that its life was nearly over, b/c the dreariness was about to draw to a close. Kinda like "the grass is always greener," perhaps?

And Marooned is a beautiful instrumental, absolutely loaded with emotion. Didn't Gilmour win a grammy for it in '94 for Best Rock Instrumental, or did I just imagine reading that someplace?