1969 - The Man and the Journey

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
DBlaze
Knife
Knife

Post by DBlaze »

you could always translate the french through google translator...

as far as lossless...cool! i might actually give that one a spin :D
Steelbreeze1971
Axe
Axe

Post by Steelbreeze1971 »

Give it a try. You will hear the difference on a decent sound system.
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

Steelbreeze1971 wrote:
Harpo wrote:I'd say the best is "Complete Concertgebouw" (17-9-69)
I agree.
http://www.megaupload.com/nl/?d=KGWGBQ8Z
This is in lossless btw.
I don't know why it always tells me my download limit is exceeded when I haven't even downloaded anything from this site.
Steelbreeze1971
Axe
Axe

Post by Steelbreeze1971 »

Massed Gadgets wrote:
Steelbreeze1971 wrote: I agree.
http://www.megaupload.com/nl/?d=KGWGBQ8Z
This is in lossless btw.
I don't know why it always tells me my download limit is exceeded when I haven't even downloaded anything from this site.
Try this :
If you use Firefox (the freeware Internet browser) just write "about:config" (without the quotes, of course) in the address bar. Press "Enter". Then look for the "general.useragent.extra.firefox" entry. Doubleclick on it and write "MEGAUPLOAD 1.0" (no quotes) after the browser version alredy reported in the string (for example: "Firefox/2.0 MEGAUPLOAD 1.0" if you're using Firefox 2.0).
Close the browser. Reopen it and be ready to download!
(You need to activate cookies as always, anyway)
Albert
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Albert »

What show was it they added the choir?
where when?
lovescene4
Hammer
Hammer

Post by lovescene4 »

J Ed wrote:Cymbaline was not part of the 1st show, so presumably they started performing tM&tJ before working on the More soundtrack
Recording for the 'More' album/soundtrack finished in March (it came out in June to coincide with the film's release). With regard to the 14th April debut of 'The Man and The Journey,' Waters said:

"A friend of mine who comes to see our normal stage act was very disappointed and felt cheated. He thought it was like paying fifteen bob to see us rehearsing. He was right in a way because we were rehearsing. The people were watching a happening" (Melody Maker, 3 May).

So it seems to have been more a theatrical concept than a potential album. Much of the material was previously released as you said (Careful..., Pow R Toc H, "Celestial Voices"), or slated for release in the near future (Cymbaline, Green Is the Colour).
Albert wrote:What show was it they added the choir?
where when?
'The Final Lunacy'
Royal Albert Hall, 26 June
Albert
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Albert »

:roll: thanks!
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

hmmm,
Ummagumma when finally released did include new versions of Saucerful and Eugene, so I dont see there being a genuine issue with old songs being recycled
even the More songs could have been included, as that was a somewhat obscure sideproject that many casual fans might have ignored, even in 1969

anyway imagine if it had been released as a studio album, what would it have looked like?
would it necesarilly have been a double album like The Wall?
I think by keeping the songs, and scaling down the instrumentals, it would have made a single LP, with each half to one side

I think The Man and The Journey was an experiment that eventually led to the concept albums for which they are now known
maybe best viewed as a sketching out of what shape such a concept album would have to take, after which they spent another four years fleshing out the content

The Man in particular is quite similar to side 1 of Dark Side, both in structure and in theme
(On the Run even sounds a bit like those crazy percussion jams)
theres a Roger quote I'll look for, where he says his inspiration came from some graffitti he spotted outside a traintunnel in London:
"wake up, commute to work, work, commute home, shower, sleep, repeat" or something like that
easy to imagine how dwelling on that thought would have led to "then one day you find ten years have got behind you"

in betwen they worked out AHM, with all its cinematic transitions, and Echoes with its more unified musical flow,
and bootleg collectors know theres all those unnamed improvisations from 1970, which seemed to retain the percussive jams and wierd floating bits from tM&tJ, as well as introducing early instrumental passages from DSotM!
lovescene4
Hammer
Hammer

Post by lovescene4 »

J Ed wrote:anyway imagine if it had been released as a studio album, what would it have looked like?
perhaps (as we understand it):

The Man and The Journey

Side One
Daybreak (Grantchester Meadows)
Work
Afternoon (Biding My Time)
Doing It!
Sleeping
Nightmare (Cymbaline)
Daybreak Part 2

Side Two
The Beginning (Green Is The Colour)
Beset By Creatures Of The Deep (Careful With That Axe, Eugene)
The Narrow Way Part 3
The Pink Jungle (Pow R Toc H)
Labyrinths Of Auximines
Behold The Temple Of Light
The End Of The Beginning (A Saucerful of Secrets - 'Celestial Voices')
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

Really underrated stuff - release it already, the overlap with U/G is over.
Tenniru
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tenniru »

But knowing certain members' perfectionism, it'd be difficult. The Concertgebouw performance is almost perfect, but for low-mixed vocals, a terrible vocal lead on The Narrow Way, and Rog forgetting the first line of Biding My Time. We can have La Carerra Panemecia, but we can't have that.

Then again, they might re-unite just to record that. 90% of the fans will be infuriated or scratching their heads, 2% will be annoying Syd-only partisans, and 8% (including me) will be celebrating.
And it'll top the charts regardless. The music video for "Teatime" will win some kind of award. (It'll be directed by Martha Stewart, of course.)

In all seriousness, don't expect a Man/Journey very soon unless they squeeze a show onto a disc in the Pink Floyd Mysterious Box Set 2007.
orange floyd
Judge!
Judge!

Post by orange floyd »

I've gone and downloaded it, and between Work and Afternoon, there's 'Teatime' and nothing happens in it, it's really random!

I'm finding this to be a bit of an odd compliation, but not a bad one!
orange floyd
Judge!
Judge!

Post by orange floyd »

Did the Labyrinths of Auximes eve become something else? it sounds familiar, but it might just be me.
lovescene4
Hammer
Hammer

Post by lovescene4 »

orange floyd wrote:Did the Labyrinths of Auximes eve become something else? it sounds familiar, but it might just be me.
The repeated bass part on the Concertgebouw performance appears in versions of "Interstellar Overdrive" from 1968.

Other "Labyrinths..." (14 April and 26 June) are quite different, from each other as well...
orange floyd
Judge!
Judge!

Post by orange floyd »

DBlaze wrote:you could always translate the french through google translator...

as far as lossless...cool! i might actually give that one a spin :D
you could ask me, if you really wanted to know! :P