The dead rat in movie version of C.Numb-was it real?

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
AsydWaters
Hammer
Hammer

The dead rat in movie version of C.Numb-was it real?

Post by AsydWaters »

I was just watching the C.Numb in the Wall movie and this rat scene caught me.Was this scene based on a true incident;maybe Waters did had a Rat who died like in the song ? or was it just imagination?
DBlaze
Knife
Knife

Post by DBlaze »

did Gerald escape from Syd's mom's house again? :lol: :lol:
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Roger has addressed this issue a time or two.

Yes, it's based on a real incident from his life...no, his mother didn't respond in such a cliched fashion.

This is reportedly one of the particular points of the movie that made it a more or less unpleasant experience for him.
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

This is like a NPF parody or something. A question asked about a dead rat in one scene of a movie?!?! Honestly. Then Mosespa analyses said dead rat in so much depth that no further comment is necessary on the subject! :D :D :D Brilliant!
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Alan, I appreciate your appreciation, but you're overlooking the fact that that one scene in the movie is VERY pivotal.

His father has died...his wife will leave him, even his groupie will run away...to top it all off, the fecking rat DIES on him.

Everything Pink touches goes wrong.

No wonder he builds a wall.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

Everything Pink touches :shock:?So HE is to blame :shock:?
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

moom wrote:Everything Pink touches :shock:?So HE is to blame :shock:?
Yes, moom. Haven't you ever listened to "The Trial?"
Zack
Knife
Knife

Post by Zack »

I don't give a rat's ass.
Syd'sSexy
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Syd'sSexy »

Zack wrote:I don't give a rat's ass.
:lol: :lol:

Me neither. What an inane discussion of a totally trivial subject. Next thread, please! :P
AsydWaters
Hammer
Hammer

Post by AsydWaters »

mosespa wrote:Alan, I appreciate your appreciation, but you're overlooking the fact that that one scene in the movie is VERY pivotal.

His father has died...his wife will leave him, even his groupie will run away...to top it all off, the fecking rat DIES on him.

Everything Pink touches goes wrong.

No wonder he builds a wall.
Agree.When holding the rat in the cusp of his hand,young pink sees soldiers marching by and one of them breaks from the rank and wals up to pink ; then He dangles the a dead rat holding it by its tail in front of Pink's face;the expression on Pink's face turns to "Shock and I-Cant Believe-It-That-They-Can-Be-So-Insensitive".
If anyone thinks "The Dead Rat" scene in Wall is "trash" then the scenes where he shaves off his eyebrows;morphes into a wormish pink In the Flesh, throws TV outta windows is just plain stupidity.
dale74
Axe
Axe

Re: The dead rat in movie version of C.Numb-was it real?

Post by dale74 »

Yes I had a brief cameo in the film, but I am alive and well and my royalties have allowed me to live quite comfortably on delicious and rare cheese and remain out of the spotlight.
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

Before I opened the thread, I thought the OP was asking was the actual dead rat real? #-o
dale74
Axe
Axe

Post by dale74 »

Honestly I can't be real with an answer like that!
AsydWaters
Hammer
Hammer

Post by AsydWaters »

See...thats the point either you can mock it off or talk about it.
I can't help it if I've got amazing powers of observation to see this "dead rat sequence" in the movie of the Wall.Its a very "delicate" thing if you are serious about the movie.
edsonbsb
Embryo
Embryo

Post by edsonbsb »

One of the keys to understanding Confortably Numb's lyrics is in the movie “The Wall” with a script written by Waters himself. Throughout the first half of the movie we see small cuts from the scene that only happens entirely during the song, at the height of Pink's depression, who is secluded in the hotel room before the show. The scene with the doctor trying to revive him is added to childhood memories when Pink takes care of a sick animal he found in the field and took it home. It turns out that the animal is a wild rat and when he appears with fever his mother thinks he contracted with the rat. So she keeps Pink bedridden for a few days, enough time for the rat to die, which crushes him. This marks the end of the boy's naivete, faith, and purity of dreams. As a fan, I dare say the rat refers to Syd Barret, his mental illness and his departure from the band, a striking fact and constantly mentioned in Waters lyrics. In the midst of Syd's madness (he has a solo song called Rats), Waters and Gilmour tried to help him by producing him, but to no avail. The band and record company already imposed an agenda that set them apart from the friend and simplicity of Pink Floyd's early days. We can see the rat episode as symbology for this period of young Waters's life, his hallucinogenic experiences, the guilt for the loss of his friend, and the end of innocence. In the movie, the song alludes to a metamorphosis from the dreamy musician to the dictatorial professionalism of business and the insensitivity of industry and fans.