Pink Floyd - "Oh By The Way" - 40th Anniversary Box Set

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: Pink Floyd - "Oh By The Way" - 40th Anniversary Box Set

Post by nosaj »

omnicron wrote:
nosaj wrote: I threw the coasters away, and threw the box away.
Cheers!
why even buy it then?
To support EMI and Storm of course...oh, and Obscured by Clouds cover is niffty.
Kojima-naked
Blade
Blade

Post by Kojima-naked »

nosaj wrote:
omnicron wrote: why even buy it then?
To support EMI and Storm of course...oh, and Obscured by Clouds cover is niffty.
I would have taken the box T_T and the coasters.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

Maybe they are not coasters. Maybe they are mousepads. I mean, who has a vessel that big?

Actually, the coasters are such an odd thing to include. What could it mean? Maybe the are for rolling spliffs on. No, that can't be it, the members of Pink Floyd never did drugs, and we can trust them. Why two coasters? Four members (maybe five?), usually you buy coasters in fours and sixes and 9 (you know)...two fish swimming in a fish bowl?

I shall devote my weekend to the mystery of the coasters. Maybe moom has a theory. Afterall, he is connected to the universe in mysterious ways.

Expect my report on my findings as to the meaning of these coasters. At this point, I think it is too easy to suggest that they were a quick replacement for the supposed dvd. To simple.
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Damn!t »

Dood, you need to see a doctor. A head doctor.
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

I agree

Fling your arms madly old lady with a daughter
Flack chap chau fauses, mouses, houses
Flittin and hittin and fittin quack quack
dougbrown93
Embryo
Embryo

Post by dougbrown93 »

Hi
I just wanted to add my tuppence about the box set after hearing lots of negative comments.
Ive been a collector of the Japanese Mini replica sleeve cds (not the dodgy russian ones) and have a full set of Led Zep, Queen, Kiss and Sex Pistols...oh and the Virgin Rolling Stones albums.
Unfortunately i only managed to get 3 of the Floyd ones tPatGoD, More and Obscured By Clouds. My choice was to spend loads of time and money on trying to get the other discs (Getting DSOTM is near impossible!!!) OR sell what i had and get the complete box. The box won the day so have sold tPatGoD on ebay and am selling the remainder of my discs.
However, I must say the Japanese cds are of a higher quality pressing and packaging...but its not by much.
The new box set is very well put together and having a replica of the posters and cards is really neat....and not something the jap issues offered (as far as i know).

Cheers
Doug
johnjohnstone
Knife
Knife

Post by johnjohnstone »

I was lucky - the only Japanese mini LP CD that I ever got was Relics - which fits quite nicely in the box set! And I was even luckier to get Nick Mason to sign it at a book signing session, and it's his artwork on the sleeve ...
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

They seem to be coasters hastely added in place of the promised dvd.
Freddie Mercury
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Freddie Mercury »

That's probably what the DVD would have ended up being anyway.
Duckboy
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Duckboy »

Freddie Mercury wrote:That's probably what the DVD would have ended up being anyway.
:lol:
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

Duckboy wrote:
Freddie Mercury wrote:That's probably what the DVD would have ended up being anyway.
:lol:
So, in fact there is a funny meaning in this afterall.
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

What DVD?
bpmolder
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by bpmolder »

dougbrown93 wrote:The new box set is very well put together and having a replica of the posters and cards is really neat....and not something the jap issues offered (as far as i know).
The only thing this set has that the Japanese issues offered was misspelling of track information. :lol:

The more important thing that the Japanese issues had was a level of mastering that didn't include dynamic compression. Sound quality wise, they will be superior to any remaster that you will see lately because they more closely resemble the original mixes.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

Here is what I have done. I have removed the poster and the two coasters, and inserted all the booklets from the individual cd's covered by this box...they fit perfectly!!!!!!

Now, I have kept the outer green Ummagumma package with its poster, and inserted the Early Singles from the first boxset and the 1966 album (Interstellar & Nick's Boogie).

The poster from the boxset and coasters are just lying around.

This has freed up some much needed space...and all those individual cd's without covers? Friends are recieving must have albums from moi. 8)
Rasher
Axe
Axe

Post by Rasher »

If your friends don't want them you could always try hanging them from the shrubs in your garden to scare the cats. Aloof little tarts hate CDs and DVD's apparently... probably, coz they're so much more advanced than us they're into solid state and mechanical stuff scares them. And they'd be right too, CDs and DVDs are already soooo obsololete. In the true spirit of the seventies and the late great Syd, I reckon their next "special" release should be edible and/or smokable as well as audible! What about a mixed box of quality wafer thin choccy CDs made from quality South American cocoa beans, or better still SACD CDs pressed from the finest Moroccan hashish! (anyone notice how dilated Waters looks on cover of The Word? His pupils I mean).