Julia Dream... man, that's a weird song.

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
TheLazenby
Knife
Knife

Julia Dream... man, that's a weird song.

Post by TheLazenby »

I think "Julia Dream" probably ranks up there as one of Floyd's weirdest tracks... between Roger's weird lyrics about dying and the trippy ending, it's pretty out there.

The thing I never got, though, was why Roger goes "SSSSSSSSSSSSSYYYYYYYYYYYYYD!" at the end... I mean, I know there's some debate over what he says, but it seems awfully clear to me... Any explanation for this?
mosespa

Re: Julia Dream... man, that's a weird song.

Post by mosespa »

It IS a strange track...particularly for the time in which it came out. It really doesn't sound quite like anything on ASOS or even the song on the other side of the single, PMATS.

As to what Roger is whispering at the end (if it even IS Roger, there is still debate that Gilmour sings this song; I've given up trying to figure it out myself just so I can enjoy the song for what it is,) if it even IS Roger, he might have been trying out some of that weird screechy wind sound that he did a lot.

Who knows for sure?
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

I just looked it up on Wikipedia (and yes, I know it's not always accurate). It says Gilmour sings the song but like Mossy, I've never been able to figure out whether it's Roger or David. The lyrics are pretty weird - kinda like something Syd would have written. Perhaps it's because it was written in or around the time Syd left Pink Floyd.

The song is characterised by the slow tempo, the airy, ambient Mellotron sounds and the heavy muffling effect on the chorus vocals. The melody of this song is based on the British lullaby All The Pretty Little Horses. :?

Oddly, Syd's on the sleeve!

mosespa

Post by mosespa »

*mossy high-fives snifferdog for admitting that wikipedia isn't always reliable...and then posting what it says, anyway* :D :D

To me, it sounds more like Gilmour...but, to be honest, it also sometimes sounds a little like Ozzy. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

(Which, given that Ozzy IS known as being a good singer, lends more credence to the Gilmour theory, IMO.)
cRaB
Knife
Knife

Post by cRaB »

to me it's obviously Gilmour singing there.
Syd'sSexy
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Syd'sSexy »

I love Julia Dream. It's one of my favourite early Floyd songs. There has been some speculation about Roger's lyrics being one of his early attempts at writing "Syd-like" lyrics. Hell, they beat Corporate Clegg's and Take Up Thy Stethoscope and Walk's lyrics by a long shot! :)
kingfisher_flashing
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kingfisher_flashing »

I agree SS, I love the song. I think it is Gilmour singing it.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

mosespa wrote:It really doesn't sound quite like anything on ASOS or even the song on the other side of the single, PMATS.
You mean "It Would Be So Nice", right? :shock:

"Point Me At The Sky" was a single by itself, backed with "Careful With That Axe, Eugene".
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Really do like the song. That and Paintbox make the Relics album worth getting despite most of the tracks being available elsewhere

So what do you guys make of the old story that Roger is whispering 'Syd' at the end?
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Hudini wrote:
mosespa wrote:It really doesn't sound quite like anything on ASOS or even the song on the other side of the single, PMATS.
You mean "It Would Be So Nice", right? :shock:

"Point Me At The Sky" was a single by itself, backed with "Careful With That Axe, Eugene".
Right...good call, Hudini. :D
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

I think It Would Be So Nice is the wierder song
I could imagine Dave or Roger (less likely) adding Julia to their setlists even today
but never IWBSN
snifferdawg wrote:Oddly, Syd's on the sleeve!
I think at this point they were trying to obscure the fact their star was no longer in the band
check those Belgian videos from 1968
Daves sporting a haircut in Syds style and is mostly hiding his frace from the camera
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

mosespa wrote:
Hudini wrote: You mean "It Would Be So Nice", right? :shock:

Right...good call, Hudini. :D
:shock: History in the making!!!

Anyway, I love the song and believe it is David singing. I really don't care what he or who-ever says at the end...

I always thought the lyric writer may have read the book 1984 - but that is probably just me.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

J Ed wrote:I think It Would Be So Nice is the wierder song
I could imagine Dave or Roger (less likely) adding Julia to their setlists even today
but never IWBSN
"It Would Be So Nice" has always sounded to me like something straight out of The Beach Boys or The Kinks songwriting book: doobaloop doobaloop doobaloop daily standard! while Julia Dreams seem just like a regular pop-folk song, a nice depressive one.
bpmolder
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by bpmolder »

Interesting observation, danielcaux! When you said the Beach Boys, it brought to mind their song "Wouldn't It Be Nice" off of Pet Sounds. Maybe this song is an answer to that.....
lostplay
Judge!
Judge!

Post by lostplay »

it was the roger trying to write syd songs peridot

quite good

kinda not like anything ever done before
by anyone
anywhere
ever