Julia Dream... man, that's a weird song.

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Vlad The Impaler
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Julia Dream... man, that's a weird song.

Post by Vlad The Impaler »

Julia Dream is a cool song......

Info I've gleaned over the years is....

It was an attempt to do a Syd-like song and that likely explains the alleged Syyyyydddd at the end. I'm sure even then they were experiencing a bit of guilt over him.

I've always thought it was Roger singing but since I haven't heard it in awhile maybe another close listen is in order.

Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

Julia Dream's one of my very favourite Pink Floyd songs, and one of the first songs I ever learned to play on my guitar. The lyrics do sound somewhat Syd like, but I've also read that at the time, Roger was inspired by the writings of Grantchester poet Rupert Brooke, and the lyrics of Julia Dream were an attempt to create something similar to his style, and reading Brooke's early poetry, one can see some similarities.
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by 2066 »

Don't like Julia Dream much. It sounds to me like the kind of song one could write in their sleep. I like It Would Be So Nice much better. "And no-one knows what I did today. There can be no other way. And I would just like to say...". Plus it's sung by Rick. And there's some really good varied electric guitar in it. It doesn't sound to me like David singing on Julia Dream. It sounds like Roger (or David trying sound like Roger?) :lol:
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Officially, if we should trust "The Amazing Pudding" (and I don't see a reason why we shouldn't), it's the first song with Dave's lead vocal. So it's Dave.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

mosespa wrote:It IS a strange track...particularly for the time in which it came out. It really doesn't sound quite like anything on ASOS or even the song on the other side of the single, PMATS.

As to what Roger is whispering at the end (if it even IS Roger, there is still debate that Gilmour sings this song; I've given up trying to figure it out myself just so I can enjoy the song for what it is,) if it even IS Roger, he might have been trying out some of that weird screechy wind sound that he did a lot.

Who knows for sure?
Huh... I can barely hear Syd's name, so...

I don't think it is THAT far from the rest of ASOS. Think Syd of that era could have composed it (Jugband Blues looks like just an updated version or something).
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

Hudini wrote:Officially, if we should trust "The Amazing Pudding" (and I don't see a reason why we shouldn't), it's the first song with Dave's lead vocal. So it's Dave.
Always been clearly Dave to me.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Not to me. I first thought it was Roger. Then I realized it was Dave. So it's Dave.
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

Its Dave, but what accent is he singing in? A very middle-england accent, lots of ennunciation although he uses his more natural singing voice on the chorus.
stryder
Axe
Axe

Post by stryder »

I've just listened to this song for the first time and I quite like it. Its kinda like psychedelica meets folk.

I originally thought it was Roger singing but as the song goes along it becomes pretty clear that its David singing.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

stryder wrote:I've just listened to this song for the first time
QUE?!
stryder
Axe
Axe

Post by stryder »

Hudini wrote:
stryder wrote:I've just listened to this song for the first time
QUE?!
It isn't a too bizarre concept to contemplate; I wasn't aware this song existed, but after reading this thread I decided to have a listen to it.
Creek
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by Creek »

Call me crazy, but I've always thought that the lyrics where Syd's. With the timing of it and all. I just can't see Roger pulling this out of his hat.
princessDungan74D
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by princessDungan74D »

its a cool song
Syd'sSexy
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Syd'sSexy »

Creek wrote:Call me crazy, but I've always thought that the lyrics where Syd's. With the timing of it and all. I just can't see Roger pulling this out of his hat.
I would think so too. However, from what I read (and please correct me if I am wrong), Julia Dream was one of Roger's early attempts to emulate "Syd-type" lyrics during the transition.
Kojima-naked
Blade
Blade

Post by Kojima-naked »

Well first off a lot of the pre AHM songs had fucked up concept but theyre awesome songs. Like Arnold Layne and candy and a current bun are both extremely catchy and disturbing at the same time.