The Wall 30th Anniversary November 2009 - ????

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
mosespa

Re: The Wall 30th Anniversary November 2009 - ????

Post by mosespa »

Tenniru wrote:That'd be John, actually.
According to my sources (one of which is the book written by Geoffery Emerick, who engineered many Beatles recording sessions,) it's Paul.

Makes sense since the expletive happens with a brief mistake on the piano...which Paul was playing.

But, it was John who told Geoff to leave it in. "Paul said a naughty. Leave it in." :lol:
Hogtown
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Hogtown »

Tenniru I don't know about a 20th Anniversary Wall in Berlin type thing, but I say Johnny Rotten as Pink.
Zack
Knife
Knife

Post by Zack »

mosespa wrote:
Tenniru wrote:That'd be John, actually.
According to my sources (one of which is the book written by Geoffery Emerick, who engineered many Beatles recording sessions,) it's Paul.

Makes sense since the expletive happens with a brief mistake on the piano...which Paul was playing.

But, it was John who told Geoff to leave it in. "Paul said a naughty. Leave it in." :lol:
According to Ian MacDonald's Revolution in the Head (great book), the curse at 2:58 was over a fluffed backing vocal, not piano, which would lead us to believe it was John.

I suspect old Geoff is a pretty good source too though I haven't read his book.

edit: I just listened on earphones at a volume that may cause lasting damage, and there is indeed a rogue "oh" in the background at 2:56 that precedes "f*cking hell" two seconds later. Everybody break out your Past Masters 2 or Blue album and opine. . .
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Sounds like Paul to me. *shrug*
kaotician
Axe
Axe

Post by kaotician »

Just found this on Play.com, better than nothing I suppose.....

http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/11307910 ... VD+%3E+MUS

Track-by-track commentary by Roger sounds interesting....
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Zack wrote:
According to Ian MacDonald's Revolution in the Head (great book), the curse at 2:58 was over a fluffed backing vocal, not piano, which would lead us to believe it was John.
I dunno...it seems to me that there's a fluffed piano chord just before the "fucking hell."

I don't think that the "OH!!" is part of the "fucking hell," personally.
Hogtown
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Hogtown »

kaotician wrote:Just found this on Play.com, better than nothing I suppose.....

http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/11307910 ... VD+%3E+MUS

Track-by-track commentary by Roger sounds interesting....
Don't buy it. You can find a track by track commentary by Roger on the internet.
kaotician
Axe
Axe

Post by kaotician »

I'm guessing this is one of those 'critical review' type products then. Still no news on anything special for the anniversary......
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Hogtown wrote:Don't buy it. You can find a track by track commentary by Roger on the internet.
I've got the track by track commentary that he did with Jim Ladd. Even if you can't find the audio on the internet, you can certainly find it transcribed...as well as the one that he did with Timothy White.

Here's the Jim Ladd one:

http://www.pink-floyd.org/artint/119.htm

I've seen the Timothy White interview transcribed somewhere...it's basically the same thing as this one.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

PublicImage wrote:I hope not.
So that we get more reasons to whine on lack of never-released PF material.

Thus, I actually would like to, of course.
walter5
Blade
Blade
Location: 13th Floor Elevator, Enron Hubbard Bldg. Houston Texxas

Post by walter5 »

kitkat wrote:He needs to mark the 30th anniversary with a huge live performance of The Wall like he did in Berlin..
The Wall: Live In Berlin was a travesty. The selections for much of the cast was misguided at best, and reads like a "VH1 Where Are They Now" list of forgotten B-talents of the 1980's.

The show itself was horrid! Plagued with delays and technical problems. Millions of us watched and listened around the world, it took them HOURS to get the problems straightened out, and the performances weren't that good. If Rog hadn't filmed the dress rehearsal from the night before, and kept some key players and his film crew working until dawn the following morning, otherwise, he wouldn't have had *any* sort of product to market from that abortion!

Were you perhaps too young to have seen and/or heard it when it aired in 1989? I remember the big party we threw for it; my air-tape runs 6 or 7 hours. It was a terrible disappointment. Just a complete travesty. I wouldn't buy the CD or Videotape. Or the DVD.

And Waters today is just terrible. His voice cracks, his pipes are completely shot. He sounds like he gargles with battery acid. He should give it a rest. He's not as appealing an artist as he used to be, and he doesn't have Gilmore's warmth and performing personality.

kitkat wrote:
The Wall, or PF, wasnt as "cool" back then as it is now. Plus, back then, a lot of people didnt realize that Waters is Pink. Now, thanks to Live 8, more people know the truth..
*snort of derision* "Waters is Pink???" Please stop using your rectum as a head covering.
And I really don't know *what* to say about your supposition that "The Wall, or PF wasn't as 'cool' back then as it is now" other than 'you're kidding, right?' Pink Floyd was "cool" back in 1973. And 1974. And 1976. And 1980. And 1981 when "The Wall: The Film" came out. And when they re-formed for "Momentary Lapse Of Reason." In fact, between "Games For May" and "Live 8", Pink Floyd has had several high-points in their career, it's true, and Live 8 was the last of them, but with Rick and Syd both gone on to that Great Gig in the Sky, attention to the band is significantly waning. There's been no 40th Anniversary follow-ups for any of their LPs after "PATGOD", and while "Remember That Night" did pretty well, "Live In Gdansk" didn't equal its popularity, more's the pity. I'm afraid we'll have to look to bootleg CDs and DVDs for any previously unreleased music or film footage.

kitkat wrote:Plus, with the better technology of today, he could do a massive show...live before pay per view or something and get real "living legends" to be part of the show.

Sorry, Mr. Waters will not be getting another penny of my money for another ill-concieved project.

I think whoever guessed that we'll see a "Tommy"-like Broadway Musical of "The Wall" was pretty close to the mark. Maybe that *will* be a big thing-- look at what an association with Cirque De Soliel and a stationary show did for the Beatles?
kaotician
Axe
Axe

Post by kaotician »

Well, I'm depressed. I can't imagine that we're going to see any sort of remaseter/special edition for The Wall now. I mean, if anything were forthcoming, surely ads etc or news would be out there, it being just a couple of months away?
LarsO
Axe
Axe

Post by LarsO »

Just a warning for those who might want to buy the October edition of Guitar World expecting to see a new interview about the anniversary, it's a rip-off.
They don't mention it anywhere but this interview is 10 years old. It's carfully edited and they say it contains answers from late Richard Wright but they do their best to make you believe it's quite new. And on the front page it's written Waters, Gilmour and Mason on The Wall like Wright was not a part of it. Bad, bad, bad music journalists!! [-X

http://www.brain-damage.co.uk/latest/pi ... azine.html

If you're a Neil Young fan (like me) you will be rewarded with a great interview with him about the Archives, but I don't know if I would have bought it if I knew the PF interview was from 1999. It was wrapped in plastic so I couldn't check.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Yeah...Guitar World only has 2 or 3 Pink Floyd interviews that they keep recycling; one about DSOTM, one about Animals and one about The Wall. :lol:

Seriously, though...everytime I've seen them run a Pink Floyd interview, I get deja vu...then I read all the fine print and discover that I'm reading an article that I'd already read twenty years before. *shrug*
kitkat
Knife
Knife

Post by kitkat »

Walter5, I dont know what your problemo is but The Wall Live in Berlin is awesome.

You just dont get it.

It was tremendous.

Best version of Brick 1 and Brick 3. Awesome version of In The Flesh? by the Scorps.

Sinead kicked ass on Mother.

Hey You was very well done....about as good as the studio version.

And then to cap it off, The Genius did the greatest acceptance speech in the history of award giving when he won the award for media event of year and he walked up stage and did a great big F U to all the typical awards people and didnt say a damn word. He is way too cool and too much of a Genius to give all the dunderheads and the great unwashed words of wisdom. Plus, he had his cool aviators on and had the black t-shirt sports jacket look that David Samson WISHES he could fit into with breaking the seams. It was the greatest acceptance speech in the history of any award show and it was from The Genius.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuGNXytrJ88

And, yes, as I stated, now that the world knows that Roger is Pink, another big production of The Wall would rule. It would RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUULE!!!

So, yes, The Wall in Berlin rules. The award he received for it was well desrerved and his acceptance speech was the greatest of all time.

Anybody who cant deal with The Wall doesnt understand Floyd. If you cant deal with that, based on your post, you better stick to Polly's world and go back to On An Island.