General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Big Pink Floyd Survey - Pt1 - Age, Gender and Location

Post by Keith Jordan »

http://www.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk/index ... d-location

Introduction

The Big Pink Floyd Survey 2009 was conducted in the middle of January 2009 to Early March 2009 to see who the typical Pink Floyd fan is, what they think of Pink Floyd and related solo albums and their opinions/attributes regarding other matters!

There were 2,130 surveys submitted and used to formulate the results on the following pages. Hence this is a pretty accurate representation of the typical Pink Floyd fan.

The survey results will be presented over several short articles grouping areas such as Age, Gender and Location of Pink Floyd fans, Album Ratings, Favourite Songs and more. Make sure you are subscribed to the NPF Newsletter to be notified when new articles presenting the results to the survey are presented here on the website.

Age, Gender and Location

Pink Floyd have been around for a good while. Hence many of their most loyal fans have been around for a good while too!

They released their first album in 1967 called Piper at the Gates of Dawn which went on to receive critical acclaim the world over and was probably Syd Barrett’s finest piece of coherent and commercial work.

Considering Piper was released in August 1967, this makes their first album just short of 42 years old (as of March 2009 when the survey was taken). This puts the age statistics into context.

The most represented age group is the 36-45 range with 30.4% of the survey respondents. The vast majority of these people were not even born when Piper was released. In fact, between 60-65% of fans were not born before Piper was released! This must go to show that the music of Pink Floyd is timeless no matter what anyone says!

As for the gender of Pink Floyd fans, it is of no surprise that the majority are male. It is perhaps surprising that only 11% are female. The word of the Floyd must be spread to more females!

It is no surprise that Pink Floyd have a large following in both the United Kingdom [24.5%] and the Unites States [30.3%] which makes up over half of their fans. The band also has a significant following in the likes of Canada, Germany, Sweden and France.

Without having completed the Pink Floyd Concert Database yet, I cannot say this with confidence, but this does seem to correspond to where they played most of their concerts!

You can download a PDF of all the countries in the survey split by male/female here.

brrrrr43
Embryo
Embryo

Re: Big Pink Floyd Survey - Pt1 - Age, Gender and Location

Post by brrrrr43 »

:lol: Well, I Don'T Know...I'Ve Been A Fan For About 40 Years Now, And Yes, I Am A Woman And Even More I'M 66 Years Young. :?: So Either I'M Weird Or A Lot Of People Didn'T Take The Survey...But I Am From The States, So That Part Is Right. All I Can Add Is I Love Pink Floyd'S Music...

They Early And The Later Stuff.
<ii>
PinkFloyd69
Axe
Axe

Post by PinkFloyd69 »

Didn't participate in the survey, but I feel compelled to represent the 0-18 age demographic (and I know several people who are Floyd fans of varying degrees, although none as fanatical as me)
Tbonetyler
Axe
Axe

Post by Tbonetyler »

Well at age 13 I'm in that 6.2 percent, and I'm male, and in the US. 8)
Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Stephen »

We need to recruit Japanese members.
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Damn!t »

Female Japanese members.
With their tight litlle ...dresses.

Looking at this survey I feel like an endemic form of life.
Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Stephen »

Damn!t wrote:Female Japanese members.
That crossed my mind too.
Damn!t wrote: Looking at this survey I feel like an endemic form of life.
Or a rare and beautiful orchid that needs nurturing ? :D
london1
Axe
Axe

Post by london1 »

Not sure about these stats. Perhaps it just represents the age range of people who participated in the survey. ie - 36 - 45 is the highest age range of the people who read this publication and participated in that survey. There must be a higher than 0.5% of 66 and over who classify themselves as PF fans, just that a lower % of this age range go online and check out fan websites.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I do not think it is 100% scientific as there is too much bias in it. Sort of like making a survey on where you buy food and standing outside a particular supermarket! However, it was not just people from NPF who participated. A large percentage of the people who took the survey were from other Floyd sites. I think it is safe to say it is representative of English speaking Pink Floyd fans on the Internet wherever they are from.

But yes, not completely without bias. Fun though, and that was/is the intention. 8)
Steph22
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Steph22 »

Wow :o
What's the deal with so few female Floyd fans? I am female and i've obsessed over PF for as long as I can remember.

Funny story: The other day I was in the car with one of my female friends who is not a Floyd fan persay. I had Atom Heart Mother in the cd player playing Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast(Rise and Shine). She says,"What are we listening to?" I said it was Pink Floyd. No lie; She says, "But it's so happy and bright!"

Not all PF is gloom and doom, as my mom says! :)
pffan1990

Post by pffan1990 »

Stephen wrote:
Damn!t wrote:Female Japanese members.
That crossed my mind too.
You know, the other day, I was walking through a local college campus and what did I see? A hot Asian chick wearing tight one-piece hip-huggin' skirt showing nice legs! I just about gasped out loud as it had been cool and damp all that week! :oops: I thought about doing the 'banana smilie' with her. <ii>

Back on topic: I'm 29.5, obviously male, and in the US... Kentucky to be exact. I'm single, nice, caring, charming, loves the ladies nice smooth legs and... oh never mind, thought I was on an NPF Singles Thread. :lol:
AtomHeartMomma
Knife
Knife

Post by AtomHeartMomma »

brrrrr43 wrote::lol: Well, I Don'T Know...I'Ve Been A Fan For About 40 Years Now, And Yes, I Am A Woman And Even More I'M 66 Years Young. :?: So Either I'M Weird Or A Lot Of People Didn'T Take The Survey...But I Am From The States, So That Part Is Right. All I Can Add Is I Love Pink Floyd'S Music...

They Early And The Later Stuff.
<ii>
WOW!! You and I could be twins.....except that I am a little younger. :D Welcome to NPF.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

On both first graphics I'm in the 11% section.

Oops, not in the second one damnit :lol:
moonrock62
Axe
Axe

Post by moonrock62 »

Fascinating information and sort of what I expected though I thought the UK and USA would be reversed. I'm one of the males in 46-55 age group from Australia. Its incredible when you hear Piper being described as 40 years plus- I love a lot of the early Floyd stuff and the whole psychedelic sound. The 'Live at Pompeii' DVD is one of my favourite views. I was introduced to Floyd fairly late in life by a mate at Uni in the early eighties and can remember a few interesting parties dominated by Floyd music :) . Oh to be young again hey.....shine on all and thanks keith for great site and the survey stuff.