Pink Floyd The Wall Live 1980 DVD?

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
User avatar
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!
Posts: 2546
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:25 am
Location: Abya Yala

Re: Pink Floyd The Wall Live 1980 DVD?

Post by danielcaux »

That looks like Pink, in spermatozoid form.
Isntthiswherewe
Blade
Blade
Posts: 155
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:24 pm
Location: The SGC

Re: Pink Floyd The Wall Live 1980 DVD?

Post by Isntthiswherewe »

RonToon wrote:
danielcaux wrote:Is there enough decent footage for a complete release or there is not?
Yes.
danielcaux wrote:Will Roger release it for all of us?
Yes.
danielcaux wrote:Will this be release as a documentary or as a full concert film?
A full concert film.
danielcaux wrote:Will he release it in this decade or will he wait for the 40th anniversary of the shows?
It will be released before the end of 2013.

Trust RonToon. I'll stake my rep on it.
When you say end of 2013 is this because Roger has agreed to tour Europe again in 2013!!!
User avatar
jambo
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Posts: 4959
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 9:33 am
Gender: Male
Location: Australia

Re: Pink Floyd The Wall Live 1980 DVD?

Post by jambo »

ZepHead wrote:By the way, have you noticed the camera/cameramen in the new footage? I've been searching for them -- unsuccessfully. And what is this thing?

Image
That's Pink
ZepHead
Axe
Axe
Posts: 43
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:06 pm

Re: Pink Floyd The Wall Live 1980 DVD?

Post by ZepHead »

jambo wrote:
ZepHead wrote:By the way, have you noticed the camera/cameramen in the new footage? I've been searching for them -- unsuccessfully. And what is this thing?

Image
That's Pink
Ok, but where are the cameras?
RonToon
Blade
Blade
Posts: 248
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:47 pm
Gender: Male

Re: Pink Floyd The Wall Live 1980 DVD?

Post by RonToon »

Several shows were shot and some w/o an audience (for pick-ups and close ups) so you won't always see the cameras.
ZepHead
Axe
Axe
Posts: 43
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:06 pm

Re: Pink Floyd The Wall Live 1980 DVD?

Post by ZepHead »

RonToon wrote:Several shows were shot and some w/o an audience (for pick-ups and close ups) so you won't always see the cameras.
Are you sure that some shows were shot without audience for close-ups? Source?
RonToon
Blade
Blade
Posts: 248
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:47 pm
Gender: Male

Re: Pink Floyd The Wall Live 1980 DVD?

Post by RonToon »

ZepHead wrote:
RonToon wrote:Several shows were shot and some w/o an audience (for pick-ups and close ups) so you won't always see the cameras.
Are you sure that some shows were shot without audience for close-ups? Source?
The source is my intimate knowledge and professional experience with filmmaking. They may not have shot entire performances but it would be naive/foolish to rely on just the live performances. If anything, to answer the original question, the cameras could have been positioned differently for each night offering varying perspectives and that's why you may not see any cameras close to the stage in any one of those given shots.
Djgilmour
Axe
Axe
Posts: 85
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:46 pm

Re: Pink Floyd The Wall Live 1980 DVD?

Post by Djgilmour »

jambo wrote:
ZepHead wrote:By the way, have you noticed the camera/cameramen in the new footage? I've been searching for them -- unsuccessfully. And what is this thing?

Image
That's Pink
Didn't he stay back at the hotel?
Angelic
Embryo
Embryo
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:18 pm

Re: Pink Floyd The Wall Live 1980 DVD?

Post by Angelic »

RonToon wrote:...the cameras could have been positioned differently for each night offering varying perspectives and that's why you may not see any cameras close to the stage in any one of those given shots.
Yeah, that makes sense when you realize that the 1981 shows were shot for the movie.
ZepHead
Axe
Axe
Posts: 43
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:06 pm

Re: Pink Floyd The Wall Live 1980 DVD?

Post by ZepHead »

So we are going with an assumption that all of the Earls Court shows (13-17 June 1981) were filmed on 35 mm, with each night featuring different camera setups? That seems to be valid, but I don't think they played without an audience for additional close-ups, as there was no necessity.
Angelic
Embryo
Embryo
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:18 pm

Re: Pink Floyd The Wall Live 1980 DVD?

Post by Angelic »

Floyd never played any wall show without audience. Listen to the bootlegs :)
User avatar
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Posts: 5133
Joined: Tue May 11, 2004 2:36 am
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Re: Pink Floyd The Wall Live 1980 DVD?

Post by J Ed »

?!!?
Im quite sure theres a full show circulating preceding the LA premiere where they play without an audience and we get to hear Roger berating the bricklayers to move faster and/or pace themselves better, as well as critiquing the jobs done by a few more of the crew
so theres at least one we know of precisely because of listening to the bootlegs, though I concede its not the 1981 run we're talking about

also by 1990 Roger had certainly learned to film full dress rehearsals in case something might go wrong with the actual show
I think for the purpose of a planned concert film a few more full dress rehearsals played to an empty house is easily imaginable
User avatar
Freddie Mercury
Hammer
Hammer
Posts: 924
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:24 pm
Gender: Male
Location: West Hollywood, CA

Re: Pink Floyd The Wall Live 1980 DVD?

Post by Freddie Mercury »

They may have planned on filming some dress rehearsals but might not have gotten around to it, because I think they planned on playing more Wall shows before realizing how much money they were losing. They probably thought they had plenty of time. Also it seemed to take awhile for the film to come back that they did shoot, so they probably weren't sure they needed to do more shooting until it was too late.

(BTW if you want to see a rehearsal one showed up on YouTube a few years ago: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvcZ3vPQyRk
Isntthiswherewe
Blade
Blade
Posts: 155
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:24 pm
Location: The SGC

Re: Pink Floyd The Wall Live 1980 DVD?

Post by Isntthiswherewe »

ZepHead wrote:So we are going with an assumption that all of the Earls Court shows (13-17 June 1981) were filmed on 35 mm, with each night featuring different camera setups? That seems to be valid, but I don't think they played without an audience for additional close-ups, as there was no necessity.
Its normal to record more than one show (if not all) in these cicumstances. Not just because of the filming but because of the music. A dvd is nearly always made up of several nights using the best versions of each song. Thats why they filmed the Dress rehersal in Berlin because they only had one go at it. It would be quite easy to film bits and pieces during the afternoon or even an entire show when the arena was empty if required. The only risk is that Roger might hose his voice for the evening so I doubt a whole show was ever filmed. But certainly close ups might have been done. We just dont know.
User avatar
Freddie Mercury
Hammer
Hammer
Posts: 924
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:24 pm
Gender: Male
Location: West Hollywood, CA

Re: Pink Floyd The Wall Live 1980 DVD?

Post by Freddie Mercury »

I'm thinking I heard Alan Parker filmed several nights actually, but they turned out too dark and Roger called it a "missed opportunity." Maybe it doesn't look as bad today as they thought it did (?).