Pink Floyd The Wall Live 1980 DVD?

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
ZepHead
Axe
Axe
Posts: 43
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:06 pm

Re: Pink Floyd The Wall Live 1980 DVD?

Post by ZepHead »

Freddie Mercury wrote:I'm thinking I heard Alan Parker filmed several nights actually, but they turned out too dark and Roger called it a "missed opportunity." Maybe it doesn't look as bad today as they thought it did (?).
Alan Parker himself said: '[the filming of the shows were] five blown opportunities'

But I still don't understand why they thought footage was dark. It's bright enough.
RonToon
Blade
Blade
Posts: 248
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:47 pm
Gender: Male

Re: Pink Floyd The Wall Live 1980 DVD?

Post by RonToon »

ZepHead wrote:
Freddie Mercury wrote:I'm thinking I heard Alan Parker filmed several nights actually, but they turned out too dark and Roger called it a "missed opportunity." Maybe it doesn't look as bad today as they thought it did (?).
Alan Parker himself said: '[the filming of the shows were] five blown opportunities'

But I still don't understand why they thought footage was dark. It's bright enough.
The difference could be between screening untimed dailies and seeing the details that a new high resolution digital transfer can bring out.
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer
Posts: 869
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:15 pm

Re: Pink Floyd The Wall Live 1980 DVD?

Post by Wolfpack »

Freddie Mercury wrote:(BTW if you want to see a rehearsal one showed up on YouTube a few years ago: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvcZ3vPQyRk
This is very dark.

Judging from a copy on Youtube, I think Immersion's 'THe Happiest Days of Our Lives' is rather dark. If this is tweaked material, who knows how dark it is without any tweaking. There's a lot of backlight, darkening the faces of Gilmour and Waters.
However, stopping right before 'Another Brick Part 2' looks like a teaser to me.

I doubt that the footage will be very watchable - other than for an interest in history. I think I'd rather see the recent Waters tour, when it comes to picture quality.

People might say that most known footage is made of bad copies. But in the past I've seen a terrible copy of Pathé's 'Scarecrow', and that was still bright enough to see almost everything.
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer
Posts: 869
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:15 pm

Re: Pink Floyd The Wall Live 1980 DVD?

Post by Wolfpack »

I think this bad copy (below) looks better, brighter, more tweakable than the footage on Immersion, when it comes to seeing the faces of Waters and Gilmour.

Pink Floyd - The Happiest Days Of Our Lives / Another Brick In The Wall (Live At Earls Court 1980)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWx1RdLRdaQ

But still, the rest is very dark.
User avatar
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!
Posts: 2546
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:25 am
Location: Abya Yala

Re: Pink Floyd The Wall Live 1980 DVD?

Post by danielcaux »

Wolfpack wrote:I think this bad copy (below) looks better, brighter, more tweakable than the footage on Immersion, when it comes to seeing the faces of Waters and Gilmour.
I respectfuly disagree. That old video footage is nowhere near the visual quality of the new one from the immersion box. There may be more light on their faces but everything else looks really bad. It doesn't have the magic of film, rather looks like a grainy and bad lit home video of a concert show, while the immersion clip looks more like a movie: the colours, the movement, the resolution, the textures of the clothes, the lights, the fog... Film renders a more interesting image to watch, even if essentially is the same thing that you are watching.

Ironically the only shots that I really like in the 1980 video are the darker ones, like that one with Waters silhouette against the teacher puppett. The bright ones look rather mundane.
User avatar
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Posts: 10918
Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 8:17 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Edinburgh - Scotland

Re: Pink Floyd The Wall Live 1980 DVD?

Post by my breakfast. »

Art Bell mentioned this once on his show years ago. He got to go to a private screening of Wall footage and said it was full of blatant satanic zionist imagery. They are probably trying to airbrush it all out just like they faked the moon landing.
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer
Posts: 869
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:15 pm

Re: Pink Floyd The Wall Live 1980 DVD?

Post by Wolfpack »

danielcaux wrote:That old video footage is nowhere near the visual quality of the new one from the immersion box. There may be more light on their faces but everything else looks really bad. It doesn't have the magic of film, rather looks like a grainy and bad lit home video of a concert show, while the immersion clip looks more like a movie: the colours, the movement, the resolution, the textures of the clothes, the lights, the fog... Film renders a more interesting image to watch, even if essentially is the same thing that you are watching.
Maybe they will make a "best of the best" from all shows? That is, if videotape and real film go together at all.

However, I can understand the complaints about darkness. I see it in all footage I've seen so far, including the 'Immersion' version. I think any DVD will look best in when watched in darkness, so no light gets lost.
my breakfast. wrote:Art Bell mentioned this once on his show years ago. He got to go to a private screening of Wall footage and said it was full of blatant satanic zionist imagery. They are probably trying to airbrush it all out just like they faked the moon landing.
Why would they? All Pink Floyd fans worship the devil. What's more fun than ritually sacrificing a helpless young virgin while playing 'Dark Side of the Moon' as the soundtrack? :twisted:
User avatar
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!
Posts: 2546
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:25 am
Location: Abya Yala

Re: Pink Floyd The Wall Live 1980 DVD?

Post by danielcaux »

Doing it while playing Animals? :shock:


I just imagined the scene, with the pentagram, the virgin and the priest holding the knife up in the air while the soundwaves of the Psalm 23 part of "Sheep" float in the air... is actually kind of creepy.
ZepHead
Axe
Axe
Posts: 43
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:06 pm

Re: Pink Floyd The Wall Live 1980 DVD?

Post by ZepHead »

Do we know which of the shows were profesionally shot?
siderealxxx
Axe
Axe
Posts: 83
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:00 pm
Gender: Male

Re: Pink Floyd The Wall Live 1980 DVD?

Post by siderealxxx »

Does nobody here have any links to RW or PF management who can settle the score on this once and for all?!

The Wall Live is literally the Holy Grail of PF material, and with the endless speculation, you'd think they could give us an official line... even if it's just a carefully worded hint.

We deserve this at least...
Angelic
Embryo
Embryo
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:18 pm

Re: Pink Floyd The Wall Live 1980 DVD?

Post by Angelic »

All 5 in London in 1981 and 8th-9th August 1980. I'm sure only about these 7.
Isntthiswherewe
Blade
Blade
Posts: 155
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:24 pm
Location: The SGC

Re: Pink Floyd The Wall Live 1980 DVD?

Post by Isntthiswherewe »

my breakfast. wrote:Art Bell mentioned this once on his show years ago. He got to go to a private screening of Wall footage and said it was full of blatant satanic zionist imagery. They are probably trying to airbrush it all out just like they faked the moon landing.

I do actually think some of the photos are fakes!
If you look at the TV video footage you can see right to the horizon. Why wouldnt you be able to? Just because there is no armosphere and the sky is dark you can still see the horizon. Thats because it was shot on the moon. But some of the still photos the darkness comes just a few feet behind the LEM. Why would that be unless it was shot in a studio just a few feet wide.
But thats just me I guess
Isntthiswherewe
Blade
Blade
Posts: 155
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:24 pm
Location: The SGC

Re: Pink Floyd The Wall Live 1980 DVD?

Post by Isntthiswherewe »

siderealxxx wrote:Does nobody here have any links to RW or PF management who can settle the score on this once and for all?!

The Wall Live is literally the Holy Grail of PF material, and with the endless speculation, you'd think they could give us an official line... even if it's just a carefully worded hint.

We deserve this at least...
Well Roontune seems to think it will be available before the end of 2013. He seems to know something. Thats good enough for me.
ZepHead
Axe
Axe
Posts: 43
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:06 pm

Re: Pink Floyd The Wall Live 1980 DVD?

Post by ZepHead »

What is Roger going to do with the footage of the ongoing Wall tour? As far as I know, up to 5 performances were filmed. Any quotations that allude to its release?
RonToon
Blade
Blade
Posts: 248
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:47 pm
Gender: Male

Re: Pink Floyd The Wall Live 1980 DVD?

Post by RonToon »

siderealxxx wrote:Does nobody here have any links to RW or PF management who can settle the score on this once and for all?!
I do but I don't think that Mark Fenwick (Roger's manager) responds to e-mail from fans. He would probably say what we've all been told by Roger which is that he plans to release it in the near future but is busy with the current tour at this time.