The Valley (Obscured by Clouds) DVD/Blu Ray Released Soon

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Valley (Obscured by Clouds) DVD/Blu Ray Released Soon

Post by Keith Jordan »

http://www.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk/index ... pink-floyd

The striking second feature from Barbet Schroeder (Barfly, Reversal of Fortune, Single White Female), released by the BFI in a Dual Format Edition package, explores the limits of experience as it journeys into the great unknown accompanied by Pink Floyd's wondrous soundtrack, later released as the album Obscured By Clouds. It is published on 14th February 2011.

When Viviane (Bulle Ogier), a chic diplomat’s wife, meets an intriguing adventurer (Michael Gothard) and his hippy friends in the wilds of Papua New Guinea, different worlds collide. The group, led by enigmatic visionary Gaetan (Jean-Pierre Kalfon), convince Viviane to join their expedition in search of a mysterious uncharted Valley.

Previously unavailable in the UK, the film is a Dual Format Edition release (a Blu-ray and a DVD disc in one box) and has special features including three documentary shorts directed by Barbet Schroeder about aspects of the lives of the tribes of Papua New Guinea, and a new director-approved ‘optical effect’ digitally-restored optional ending.
Special features

* Director-approved High Definition transfer from the original negative
* Presented in both High Definition and Standard Definition
* Original and digitally-restored optional endings (Blu-ray only)
* Original un-restored ending (5 mins, DVD only)
* Three ethnographic documentary shorts directed by Barbet Schroeder: Le cochon aux patates douces (1971, 8 mins) about the Mapuga tribe’s feast of pigs with sweet potatoes; Maquillages (1971, 12 mins) which examines the different types of ceremonial make-up worn by the Mapuga tribe; Sing Sing (1971, 5 mins) on the ceremony of ‘Sing Sing’ practised by Papua New Guinea’s tribes
* Theatrical trailers for Schroeder’s The Valley, More (1969) and Maîtresse (1974)
* Illustrated 26-page booklet with rare on-set photographs, an essay, ‘Childhood’s End: Pink Floyd’s Music for The Valley (Obscured by Clouds)’ by Rob Young and an essay and new director interview by Emilie Bickerton, author of the recently published book A Short History of Cahiers du Cinéma
Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: The Valley (Obscured by Clouds) DVD/Blu Ray Released Soo

Post by Stephen »

I have this on DVD but in Region 1 format so I could only play it by changing the settings on the DVD player, I thought it was hardly worth the effort to be honest.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

I'm afraid this is just another attempt to rip off Floyd fans. I can hardly see a reason why anyone else would watch this film, especially because it's completely forgotten by wider audience.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

I guess you should remove my thread on the same topic posted two weeks ago: http://forum.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk/vie ... =1&t=22502

Also, I actually enjoy the film!! :smt019
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

Hudini wrote:I'm afraid this is just another attempt to rip off Floyd fans.
Well, is not a rip off if they get what they are actually paying for, right? I see it more as an oportunity for new or old Floyd fans that weren't able to watch the film in a theater or decent VHS copy to finally watch it. Of course, the labels are going to make a profit out of it too, they aren't doing it for charity; but it seems like a fair deal for both parts.

Although, depending on its price, I could see the obligatory "DVD/Blu-Ray combo only" release as a low trick and kind of a rip off!
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

Im pretty sure i read somewhere that some of the extra features are only available on the Blueray part of the disc
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

danielcaux wrote:Well, is not a rip off if they get what they are actually paying for, right?
A crappy outdated early-70's trend film worth almost only because of its soundtrack, which is widely available in numerous formats since the early 70's, in Blu-Ray with extra features?
Frankymole
Axe
Axe

Post by Frankymole »

Hudini wrote:
danielcaux wrote:Well, is not a rip off if they get what they are actually paying for, right?
A crappy outdated early-70's trend film worth almost only because of its soundtrack, which is widely available in numerous formats since the early 70's, in Blu-Ray with extra features?
One man's "crappy and outdated" is another's nostalgic or classic.