Axe

Re: Why Pink Floyd - EMI Release Schedule Back catalogue Rel

Post by jmr »

Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Sounds better than the terrible bootleg I have of them! 8)
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

jmr wrote:http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005 ... B005NO0WPQ
Previews of the Wall demos are up!
Nice!
celafon
Embryo
Embryo

Post by celafon »

Has anyone reviewed the remastered versions in the terms of loudness? Can anyone comment on that? Are the remastered versions louder than original? Any clipping?

Thanks.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Yes, I was looking for some technical reviews of compression and clipping etc.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

The tech stuff is surfacing slowly. I can't remember where I read it, but the Final Cut that was remastered a few years ago with When the Tigers Broke Free on it, had some complaints about some minor issues of this sort. However, again, can't remember where I read it, but the 2011 Final Cut seems to not have any such issue...I want to say the Steve Hoffman site covers some of this...if, I recall correctly.

EDIT: I remember when the new Pink Floyd site launched it had a few features that disappeared very shortly afterward. They have been added again with a few extra pages...still, not entirely great in some ways. It will be nice if they add more.
Beowulf
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Beowulf »

Worth posting methinks:
http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/arts ... 109274351/
... if we can't laugh at ourselves then we shouldn't be surprised when others decide to mock!
swanning_it
Axe
Axe

Post by swanning_it »

Enish wrote:I'm glad I became a Pink Floyd fan when I did. I haven't even bought all their studio albums yet, so I'm going to suck it up and wait until the Discovery Box Set comes out. I can kill 14 birds with one stone that way.

When EMI does campaigns like these, they really know how to please the fans. Once September comes around (Good God, almost one more month!), things are going to get epic.
I'm in a similar boat except I have most of the albums, but due to a misspent youth, they're in various states of, um, disrepair 8-[

Am I the only one a little dissappointed this Discovery box set isn't also available in vinyl?
swanning_it
Axe
Axe

Post by swanning_it »

Flying pig437 wrote:I'm going to treat myself to the Dark side Immersion...but only if I'm not using the money to get married though. :D
DSOTM is for forever, though! [-X
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

celafon wrote:Has anyone reviewed the remastered versions in the terms of loudness? Can anyone comment on that? Are the remastered versions louder than original? Any clipping?

Thanks.
Investigating an MP3-copy, there is clipping. Levels go into red. I've seen 'Remember a day'.
I wonder why CDs go into red. It's a digital medium. Why don't they limit them at zero, so at least there's no red? Why that +0.01% sound level? I also saw red on The Beatles stereo remasters.

My experience is that at least Windows Media Player can give a clipping sound when CDs go into red.

I can compress sounds like hell, without any red.
I think the Barrett Introduction CD didn't have clipping. Unlike the Piper 3CD box.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I probably wouldn't draw conclusions about James Guthrie's work from an MP3! :shock: :-; :D
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

Keith Jordan wrote:I probably wouldn't draw conclusions about James Guthrie's work from an MP3! :shock: :-; :D
[-X For the sound level it doesn't matter if it's a WAV or an MP3.
I've seen the Piper 3CD in WAV. (Red) And also the Barrett Introduction in WAV. (Good)

And I find CDs going into red (which is at most only +0.01%) very clumsy. No matter how "good" they sound. It's very easy to keep them at a maximum of 0db.
Flying pig437
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Flying pig437 »

I won £10 on the lotto sat. night so treated myself to the last PF album I've not got or rather the last one barring the post Roger ones which I'm not bothered about. I'm gonna instal it on to a hard drive and then sell the c.d on ebay. I was just going to buy it from itunes till i realised I'd be better off doing it this way.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

Flying pig437 wrote:I won £10 on the lotto sat. night so treated myself to the last PF album I've not got or rather the last one barring the post Roger ones which I'm not bothered about. I'm gonna instal it on to a hard drive and then sell the c.d on ebay. I was just going to buy it from itunes till i realised I'd be better off doing it this way.
You know, I paid money for my Discovery Box and tDSotM box, but I already found all the new albums and tDSotM box for download within days of release as mp3s @ 320...so, everybody does have options if they are not audiophiles.
Flying pig437
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Flying pig437 »

Anyone else a bit surprised the Facebook WPF vote for the gig most people would go back in time to see was won by 04/04/69 Royal Festival Hall? Bacially it was Man and the Journey with Interstealla OD as an encore. I've never even heard of a few of the songs listed-Work? Teatime? Behold the temple of light? and surprised they were still doing Pow.R.Torch then too.