Wish You Were Here - 5.1 SACD On The Way

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
DrDark
Embryo
Embryo
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2003 7:57 am
Location: NY

Re: Wish You Were Here - 5.1 SACD On The Way

Post by DrDark » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:19 pm

Got it last week along with the Immersion set. The SACD sounds HUGE....FUCKING HUGE!!!! Haven't stopped listening to it.

DrDark
Embryo
Embryo
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2003 7:57 am
Location: NY

Re: Wish You Were Here - 5.1 SACD On The Way

Post by DrDark » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:31 am

So I went to compare the DVD 5.1 Mix to the SACD 5.1 only to find the DVD is NOT A DVD-A??? WTF??? You mean to hear the Hi DEF 96/24 version I have to buy a BLU-Ray player??? Weak, very fucking weak...The DVD AUDIO only disc is in shitty Lossey DOLBY.

Why didn't they put a DOLBY format and a 96/24 format mix on the DVD-AUDIO only disc??? Every band that's put out a Hi Def DVD Audio has followed this format... I own numerous Hi Def DVD Audio only discs and they ALL have a Dolby mix for those rockin a standard DVD player and a DVD-A at 96/24 for those with higher end systems that can play the HD format.

I was EXPECTING 96/24 on the DVD AUDIO only disc..and I bet a lot of folks out there without Blu-Ray players but with DVD-A players were expecting the same thing. What a fucking let down....looks like I'll be returning the Immersion sets..what a gyp.

Isntthiswherewe
Blade
Blade
Posts: 155
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:24 pm
Location: The SGC

Re: Wish You Were Here - 5.1 SACD On The Way

Post by Isntthiswherewe » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:55 pm

DrDark wrote:So I went to compare the DVD 5.1 Mix to the SACD 5.1 only to find the DVD is NOT A DVD-A??? WTF??? You mean to hear the Hi DEF 96/24 version I have to buy a BLU-Ray player??? Weak, very fucking weak...The DVD AUDIO only disc is in shitty Lossey DOLBY.

Why didn't they put a DOLBY format and a 96/24 format mix on the DVD-AUDIO only disc??? Every band that's put out a Hi Def DVD Audio has followed this format... I own numerous Hi Def DVD Audio only discs and they ALL have a Dolby mix for those rockin a standard DVD player and a DVD-A at 96/24 for those with higher end systems that can play the HD format.

I was EXPECTING 96/24 on the DVD AUDIO only disc..and I bet a lot of folks out there without Blu-Ray players but with DVD-A players were expecting the same thing. What a fucking let down....looks like I'll be returning the Immersion sets..what a gyp.
I dont think you can by a DVD-A player in the UK anymore so I wasn't expecting that. Can see its anoying if you were though.
EMI have no interest in SACD anymore and I dont think DVD-A ever came on the radar for them did it?
I dont fully understand why there are two different quality versions on the regular dvd to be honest.

whackystrings
Axe
Axe
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:05 am
Location: Vancouver

Re: Wish You Were Here - 5.1 SACD On The Way

Post by whackystrings » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:58 pm

And here's the rub...even if you get a Blu-Ray player as I just did you may have a challenge to get anything more than just L-R stereo out of it ](*,)
There have been other posts here that offer suggestions but none have worked for me. So, it is frustrating to resort to the DVD @ 640kbps rather than uncompressed Blu-Ray which is now as useful as a drink coaster or mini-Frisbee. Sigh. Not sure if it is a limitation of my receiver/amp or what...silly that other Blu-Ray movies (non-Floyd) automatically go to 5.1 yet the Floyd stuff, including the TDSOTM 2003 SACD (my Blu-Ray player is SACD-capable, so it says on the tin...), only play in stereo. WTF indeed.
Gotta say, though, that the Quad version of the WYWH album @640kbps still sounds fookin' fantastic!
I have been listening to the Quad and the 5.1 versions back-to-back and I have been loving it.

towg
Embryo
Embryo
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:34 pm

Re: Wish You Were Here - 5.1 SACD On The Way

Post by towg » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:27 pm

What do I need to listen to 5.1?

User avatar
Meandthem
Blade
Blade
Posts: 242
Joined: Sat May 21, 2011 1:06 pm
Gender: Male
Location: In the shadow with a cold beer

Re: Wish You Were Here - 5.1 SACD On The Way

Post by Meandthem » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:16 pm

towg wrote:What do I need to listen to 5.1?
A surround sound amplifier and a cd-player or blu-ray that supports 5.1 - and one front center-speaker, left and right frontspeakers, two rear left/right speakers gives the five.
The .1 is the subwoofer that gives this rumbling feeling in your groin (and every other loose-hanging object in your home!)...
:lol:

DrDark
Embryo
Embryo
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2003 7:57 am
Location: NY

Re: Wish You Were Here - 5.1 SACD On The Way

Post by DrDark » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:56 pm

Yeah..I know the SACD format sorta bit the dust. Its real damn unfortunate in my book. I've compared albums such as Becks Sea Change, which was one of the firsts to do both formats, and the SACD always sounds much warmer and fuller.

But, I can live with 96/24 DVD-A. Hell it's the spec's I use to record bands to. I don't think it's dead, there's still a lot coming out in that format.

Hell, I would have been happy if they still cheesed out, but did in DTS instead of Dolby. Even those sound better.

To be honest, the only reason I got the boxset was to have a remastered version of the Quad mix. I've had the vinyl for years and also a down loaded fan produced DTS mix of it off a Quad Reel To Reel. And also for the original Brian Humphries mix...Not that the new Guthrie one isn't huge. Pretty much the same reason I picked up the Dark Side one as well, which I haven't looked at yet as I was jones-in for WYWH. Now I'm not sure I want to bother.

Isntthiswherewe
Blade
Blade
Posts: 155
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:24 pm
Location: The SGC

Re: Wish You Were Here - 5.1 SACD On The Way

Post by Isntthiswherewe » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:00 pm

whackystrings wrote:And here's the rub...even if you get a Blu-Ray player as I just did you may have a challenge to get anything more than just L-R stereo out of it ](*,)
There have been other posts here that offer suggestions but none have worked for me. So, it is frustrating to resort to the DVD @ 640kbps rather than uncompressed Blu-Ray which is now as useful as a drink coaster or mini-Frisbee. Sigh. Not sure if it is a limitation of my receiver/amp or what...silly that other Blu-Ray movies (non-Floyd) automatically go to 5.1 yet the Floyd stuff, including the TDSOTM 2003 SACD (my Blu-Ray player is SACD-capable, so it says on the tin...), only play in stereo. WTF indeed.
Gotta say, though, that the Quad version of the WYWH album @640kbps still sounds fookin' fantastic!
I have been listening to the Quad and the 5.1 versions back-to-back and I have been loving it.
Dont know if this will help but I also have the same problem.
I have a Sony Blu-ray player and the reason I chose that one was because it plays SACD and I thought, when my dvd player which plays DVD/SACD/DVD-A eventually packs up I can still play the SACD on the Blue-ray.
However the discs only play in Stereo like you say and I think the reason is that that the DSD signal(which is what you want) is only output via the HDML cable. The idea now is that the cable first goes to your receiver and then from there to the TV. But my receiver has no HDML input so I have to use a single cable from the Blu-ray. This delivers the DOLBY 5.1 on movies but not the SACD signal. I didnt get hold of a copy of WYWH yet but it could be that the Blu-ray disc in the set again only outputs the multi channel via the HDML.

whackystrings
Axe
Axe
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:05 am
Location: Vancouver

Re: Wish You Were Here - 5.1 SACD On The Way

Post by whackystrings » Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:24 pm

Isntthiswherewe wrote: Dont know if this will help but I also have the same problem.
I have a Sony Blu-ray player and the reason I chose that one was because it plays SACD and I thought, when my dvd player which plays DVD/SACD/DVD-A eventually packs up I can still play the SACD on the Blue-ray.
However the discs only play in Stereo like you say and I think the reason is that that the DSD signal(which is what you want) is only output via the HDML cable. The idea now is that the cable first goes to your receiver and then from there to the TV. But my receiver has no HDML input so I have to use a single cable from the Blu-ray. This delivers the DOLBY 5.1 on movies but not the SACD signal. I didnt get hold of a copy of WYWH yet but it could be that the Blu-ray disc in the set again only outputs the multi channel via the HDML.
Thanks for the explanation which confirms a theory I had but cannot test because I have a :roll: non-HDMI receiver/amp. It has optical and SPDIF but no HDMI I/O. Argh!!

User avatar
runningshoes_66
Embryo
Embryo
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:10 am

Re: Wish You Were Here - 5.1 SACD On The Way

Post by runningshoes_66 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:11 pm

Hi everyone.

This is my first post here. I will introduce myself when I have more time.

I just wanted to say I picked this up last week. I put it on and my jaw dropped to the floor. I'd never heard it sound so good. I'm going to get Dark Side tomorrow and I'm waiting anxiously for The Wall.

Isntthiswherewe
Blade
Blade
Posts: 155
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:24 pm
Location: The SGC

Re: Wish You Were Here - 5.1 SACD On The Way

Post by Isntthiswherewe » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:17 pm

runningshoes_66 wrote:Hi everyone.

This is my first post here. I will introduce myself when I have more time.

I just wanted to say I picked this up last week. I put it on and my jaw dropped to the floor. I'd never heard it sound so good. I'm going to get Dark Side tomorrow and I'm waiting anxiously for The Wall.
Welcome to the Forum runningshoes_66.
Unfortunately it looks like we wont be getting a 5.1 version of the The Wall in the box set. They dont want to spend any money on this project. Dark side and WYWH had already been made in 5.1. some years ago. Instead we will be getting 2 discs of old demos they found in a drawer.

User avatar
runningshoes_66
Embryo
Embryo
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:10 am

Re: Wish You Were Here - 5.1 SACD On The Way

Post by runningshoes_66 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:36 pm

Isntthiswherewe wrote:
runningshoes_66 wrote:Hi everyone.

This is my first post here. I will introduce myself when I have more time.

I just wanted to say I picked this up last week. I put it on and my jaw dropped to the floor. I'd never heard it sound so good. I'm going to get Dark Side tomorrow and I'm waiting anxiously for The Wall.
Welcome to the Forum runningshoes_66.
Unfortunately it looks like we wont be getting a 5.1 version of the The Wall in the box set. They dont want to spend any money on this project. Dark side and WYWH had already been made in 5.1. some years ago. Instead we will be getting 2 discs of old demos they found in a drawer.
Thanks for the welcome.

I gathered as much when I was looking through descriptions and didn't see the 5.1 listed. I'll still get it, though, being the completest idiot that I am. :lol:

User avatar
TheFloydian1
Blade
Blade
Posts: 200
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:17 am
Gender: Male
Location: US

Re: Wish You Were Here - 5.1 SACD On The Way

Post by TheFloydian1 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:58 am

runningshoes_66 wrote:I just wanted to say I picked this up last week.
I thought this was an online-exclusive thing only. Where did you pick your copy up at?

User avatar
runningshoes_66
Embryo
Embryo
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:10 am

Re: Wish You Were Here - 5.1 SACD On The Way

Post by runningshoes_66 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:23 pm

TheFloydian1 wrote:
runningshoes_66 wrote:I just wanted to say I picked this up last week.
I thought this was an online-exclusive thing only. Where did you pick your copy up at?
Sunrise Records. Picked up Dark Side there as well.

Runkeldunk
Embryo
Embryo
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:55 pm
Location: Djursland, Denmark

Re: Wish You Were Here - 5.1 SACD On The Way

Post by Runkeldunk » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:37 pm

!S

DSOTM sacd was the reason why I started with sacd, some 5 years ago. Back then it was rumoured that wywh also was otw, and now the wait is over I just bought this sacd. And it is absolutely stunningly amazing. So if you fell like getting it sacd players arent that expensive