Wish You Were Here - 5.1 SACD On The Way

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
vrooom
Embryo
Embryo

Re: Wish You Were Here - 5.1 SACD On The Way

Post by vrooom »

For anyone who is interested, I've posted a little video so you can see what this SACD looks like. It's quite a nice little set. More tasteful that the recent Discovery redesigns and the Immersion box sets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s40nCQbv4dU

Regards,

Darren

http://www.youtube.com/vrooomuk
TearDownTheWall
Embryo
Embryo

Post by TearDownTheWall »

I'm not sure how big of a difference in the sound there can be without fresh recordings. I'm sure they can do some stuff with it but it is much better to record with the idea of playing the music in this venue. Some studios are changing some recording practices to better utilize new acoustic setups like the 5.1 SACD. I hope we have some good artistry that can go along with the taking advantage of this new technology. I receintly purchased some new yamaha receivers to replace my classic early 1990's ones. I definitely can hear a significant difference so it seems technology is enhancing the listening experience.
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Damn!t »

Chech out this new video about the release:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNgs-F1KyWg
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Very good. Who would have thought Rick would have done that after the mixdown! :D
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

Twice!
zepboy2000
Embryo
Embryo

Post by zepboy2000 »

I bought the Immersion set and the 5.1 mix is good, but collective wisdom says the sacd is the best format. One day I will have a player capable of multichannel playback, but the disc itself is much more expensive and harder to find the the Dark Side release. I have not seen it in a physical store in Australia. Is there any word on a more basic re-release? No scarves or marbles required!
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

Are the DVD and SACD 5.1 mixes the same? Or did Guthrie do a different mix for the SACD? If both are the same mix, what would be the differences then? Only the mastering? Different resolutions?
RonToon
Blade
Blade

Post by RonToon »

danielcaux wrote:Are the DVD and SACD 5.1 mixes the same? Or did Guthrie do a different mix for the SACD? If both are the same mix, what would be the differences then? Only the mastering? Different resolutions?
The mixes are identical. Only the format is different. Quality will only vary with the system that their played back on. Some prefer the SACD as they claim that the sound is "warmer" and closer to analogue vinyl.

Also... I'm very excited that the Audio Arts and Acoustics Department at my school (Columbia College Chicago), is letting me present JG's hi-rez 5.1 mix in their premiere listening room next fall. The space is about the same size as the one in where it was first demoed in Colorado. The power and speaker system that will be used reportedly surpasses the IMAX system at Navy Pier. I've asked my friend in the dept. to supply me with the playback specs as I intend to pass this info on to James when I can officially announce the presentation. Of course he'll be invited as well.
Welcome2TheMachine
Axe
Axe

Post by Welcome2TheMachine »

Damn!t wrote:Chech out this new video about the release:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNgs-F1KyWg
That single ten-minute video was more exciting and educational then the whole hour long Making of Wish You Were Here! I'm honestly shocked and surprised that there is no mention of this in the whole documentary! Thanks for the find! [-D-]
qjamesfloyd
Hammer
Hammer

Post by qjamesfloyd »

You may know, I'm also a huge Mark Knopfler fan, and it's so cool to know that Rick recorded at Mark's British Grove studios before he died. :D
Lurking Fear
Axe
Axe

Post by Lurking Fear »

Nice!