Pink floyd holy grails

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Flying pig437
Hammer
Hammer

Pink floyd holy grails

Post by Flying pig437 »

What are the rarest tracks, pictures, memorabillia or w/e to do with Pink Floyd.

How about the rumoured pic of the group after Roger left floating in a glass of Martini? Has that emerged...did it even exist?
dgsyd1
Knife
Knife

Re: Pink floyd holy grails

Post by dgsyd1 »

Rarest track (that we know exists), would probably be "John Latham". Rarest pictures for me would be the ones of Syd that Bernard White was supposed to own, from the mid 70's, including one of Syd wearing a Yogi Bear tie.

I'm fairly sure the Gerald Scarfe martini picture has done the rounds at some point. IIRC it was supposed to be the cover to Amused To Death, when that album was originally conceived in the late 80's as a sort of sequel to Radio KAOS.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

dgsyd1 wrote:Rarest pictures for me would be the ones of Syd that Bernard White was supposed to own, from the mid 70's, including one of Syd wearing a Yogi Bear tie.
This one is obviously fake. <ii>

One of these "holy grails", though, is surely a song called "Peace Be With You", written by David Gilmour about Roger Waters' departure from the band. It was recorded during AMLOR sessions, but it wasn't included on the album to avoid further quarrel and possible lawsuits. It is said to be one of the best Pink Floyd songs recorded in the post-Waters era.
Flying pig437
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Flying pig437 »

dgsyd1 wrote:Rarest track (that we know exists), would probably be "John Latham". Rarest pictures for me would be the ones of Syd that Bernard White was supposed to own, from the mid 70's, including one of Syd wearing a Yogi Bear tie.

I'm fairly sure the Gerald Scarfe martini picture has done the rounds at some point. IIRC it was supposed to be the cover to Amused To Death, when that album was originally conceived in the late 80's as a sort of sequel to Radio KAOS.
Ah! I didn't know it was by G.Scarfe! That should make it a bit easier to find.
Enish
Knife
Knife

Post by Enish »

I think any of the band's early R&B covers would qualify.
Flying pig437
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Flying pig437 »

I can't find that Martini glass picture. Anyone know where it is? thanks.
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

my Holy Grail would be a soundboard of the 1967 Games For May performance
this was a theatre show, as opposed to their usual club gigs, and appears to be a unique setlist instead of their usual openended jams, with lots of songs from Piper performed live
and linked by various custom sound effects and theatrical stunts,
I think it would be a precursor to The Man and the Journey and their 70s concept albums

this was a very important gig to them and I cant believe they wouldnt have documented it, maybe one of their artschool friends even filmed it?
enish wrote:I think any of the band's early R&B covers would qualify.
you know about their 1965-ish demo recording of King Bee? if not you should seek it out
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

Am I right in saying only two tracks from era have surfaced -Lucy Leave and I'm A King Bee. No sign of Butterfly, Remember Me or Double O Bo.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

snifferdog wrote:Am I right in saying only two tracks from era have surfaced -Lucy Leave and I'm A King Bee.
You are right. Also, I have to agree that the Games for May is one of my holy grails, along with Peace Be With You...oh, and a 1977 soundboard.
Enish
Knife
Knife

Post by Enish »

J Ed wrote:
enish wrote:I think any of the band's early R&B covers would qualify.
you know about their 1965-ish demo recording of King Bee? if not you should seek it out
[/quote]

I've heard King Bee before, but I'm sure that there's more stuff out there that has yet to be unearthed.
Jack Wolf
Axe
Axe

Post by Jack Wolf »

Hudini wrote: One of these "holy grails", though, is surely a song called "Peace Be With You", written by David Gilmour about Roger Waters' departure from the band. It was recorded during AMLOR sessions, but it wasn't included on the album to avoid further quarrel and possible lawsuits. It is said to be one of the best Pink Floyd songs recorded in the post-Waters era.
You wouldn't happen to have a link for that song, would you? :)
Enish
Knife
Knife

Post by Enish »

Going through the "Unreleased Pink Floyd Material" section of Wikipedia, I happened to cross upon this:
2 tracks recorded at these sessions, "The Hard Way", and "Wine Glasses", are scheduled to be released on the upcoming Pink Floyd reissues in October and November 2011.
Let's just say that I got a little excited after reading this. \:D/ Have these tracks ever been bootlegged before?
Flying pig437
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Flying pig437 »

Jack Wolf wrote:
Hudini wrote: One of these "holy grails", though, is surely a song called "Peace Be With You", written by David Gilmour about Roger Waters' departure from the band. It was recorded during AMLOR sessions, but it wasn't included on the album to avoid further quarrel and possible lawsuits. It is said to be one of the best Pink Floyd songs recorded in the post-Waters era.
You wouldn't happen to have a link for that song, would you? :)
or just the lyrics.
wbeens
Axe
Axe

Post by wbeens »

Enish wrote:Going through the "Unreleased Pink Floyd Material" section of Wikipedia, I happened to cross upon this:
2 tracks recorded at these sessions, "The Hard Way", and "Wine Glasses", are scheduled to be released on the upcoming Pink Floyd reissues in October and November 2011.
Let's just say that I got a little excited after reading this. \:D/ Have these tracks ever been bootlegged before?
No, but you can hear the wineglasses being played at the start of Shine On You Crazy Diamond.
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

dgsyd1 wrote:Rarest track (that we know exists), would probably be "John Latham".
She Was a Millionaire, with vocals. (Only an instrumental solo recording remains, which unfortunately contains a crash of instruments.)
Beechwoods, with vocals.
dgsyd1 wrote:Rarest pictures for me would be the ones of Syd that Bernard White was supposed to own, from the mid 70's, including one of Syd wearing a Yogi Bear tie.
What happened with this material? I don't know the Bernard White story. I've heard something about lots of Barrett stuff being lost. But is it lost in the sense of destroyed material, or undocumented material that still has to be investigated?

Other grails:

- The famous lost box of tapes from Syd Barrett. Lost in the 1970s. Maybe, maybe the box contained demo's for Madcap, and also some early Floyd stuff? (Iggy remembers Barrett playing home recordings of solo songs.)
However, probably those tapes are wiped and reused by the person who found/stole them.

- Anything related to the unmade 1967 Pink Floyd film 'Percy the Ratcatcher'. Maybe there was some script, at least?

- Early films. Including one by Mick Rock that apparently shows Barrett and a mirror.

- 'Living Alone'. And 'Boon Tune', which is an early 'Here I Go'. (Songs written by Barrett.)

- Multitrack tapes for 'The Piper'.

- Barrett's mirrored Telecaster guitar.

- 'Shine On You Crazy Diamond', with overdubs of Barrett playing guitar and brushing his teeth. (The latter sound being a nice addition to the wineglasses of the Household Project.) \:D/
- Recordings of the five-man Pink Floyd.

And I could go on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on... :)