Which Album Would You Choose as Next Immersion Box Set?

General discussion about Pink Floyd.

Which box set would you like to see next?

1967 - Pink Floyd - Piper At The Gates of Dawn
13%
1968 - Pink Floyd - A Saucerful of Secrets
8%
1969 - Pink Floyd - Soundtrack from the Film More
No votes
1969 - Pink Floyd - Ummagumma
3%
1970 - Pink Floyd - Atom Heart Mother
6%
1971 - Pink Floyd - Meddle
18%
1971 - Pink Floyd - Relics
1%
1972 - Pink Floyd - Obscured by Clouds
1%
1977 - Pink Floyd - Animals
40%
1983 - Pink Floyd - The Final Cut
4%
1987 - Pink Floyd - A Momentary Lapse of Reason
2%
1994 - Pink Floyd - The Division Bell
4%

Total votes: 139

J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Re: Which Album Would You Choose as Next Immersion Box Set?

Post by J Ed »

speaking of what could possibly go in an Animals Immersion set
according to articles at the time I seem to recall Roger wrote at least one song we know nothing else about called Flight to Fantasy
mebbe theres a demo?

and there was a teevee commercial they did sometime in the mid70s
did it have original music or did they recycle something theyd already released?
Freddie Mercury
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Freddie Mercury »

Oh yeah there is the pig film footage from the power station that was edited for the TV commercial, I think it just used "Pigs (3 Different Ones)" from the album. Did they actually show that film in the show at some point?
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

J Ed wrote:and there was a teevee commercial they did sometime in the mid70s
did it have original music or did they recycle something theyd already released?

Dole Commercial (GGitS): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLR0NBeAbs4

AND

Gini drink ads in France!!! (google it).

Which led to a so called "unreleased" song called: Bitter Love, about the bad experience Pink Floyd had after agreeing to appear in magazine advertisements for a bitter lemon drink called "Gini". Lyrically, the song describes Roger Waters selling his soul in the desert. The song is also known as "How Do You Feel?".

BUT, maybe this unreleased song is a myth. If it did not appear on the WYWH Immersion set, surely it would appear on an Animals Immersion set...or, it was never recorded...OR, my theory is that it turned out to be Have a Cigar quite possibly.
Chris Moise
Knife
Knife

Post by Chris Moise »

NUMBER61 wrote:i voted for the 'piper' but, so far these boxed sets have been expensive and seem to show that the floydian vaults contain little more than our own roio collections..
Without doubt there are plenty of top shelf uncirculated studio items from the Syd era.
zombywoof
Axe
Axe

Post by zombywoof »

Animals
flippikat
Axe
Axe

Post by flippikat »

Chris Moise wrote:
NUMBER61 wrote:i voted for the 'piper' but, so far these boxed sets have been expensive and seem to show that the floydian vaults contain little more than our own roio collections..
Without doubt there are plenty of top shelf uncirculated studio items from the Syd era.
Hmm.. not sure there's actually THAT much from the 'Piper'-era that hasn't already surfaced on bootleg.

I'm pretty sure only session tapes that survive are the 'Matilda Mother' sessions, and the recently discovered 'Arnold Lane' session tape (as aired in that BBC radio documentary).

I have a feeling that anything else would probably just be alt. mixes that may not be too different from what was released, right?

Of course there is the possibility that reasonable live tapes may be in the hands of collectors & not circulating. However the only reasonable one I've heard of is the recently unearthed Stockholm tape, and that still has the problem of very quiet vocals.

As far as studio work goes, you could argue that the 'Saucerful' era begins at the start of August 1967 with the first studio sessions for Scream Thy Last Scream & Set the Controls - and there seems to be a fair amount of tapes still existing from those months where Pink Floyd were working through the transition from Syd to David.

Aside from Scream Thy Last Scream & Vegetable Man, there's also:

* The haywire series of rehearsals from late '67-early '68 (or whatever can be salvaged from them)
* Beechwoods & 'Instrumental' (much bootlegged, but would be nice to hear cleaned up)
* "The Committee" soundtrack work - supposedly the first studio work with David.. would be nice to hear without film dialogue over the top if possible
* Any out-takes, backing tracks, Alt mixes from the Saucerful sessions themselves. (not sure how many session tapes survive, but who knows...?)

And that's not to mention the BBC sessions of 1968, and various TV appearances for promo films at the time - including some live performances captured for TV.

It's a very mysterious time of PF history, and one well worth shedding some light on!
Chris Moise
Knife
Knife

Post by Chris Moise »

flippikat wrote:Hmm..not sure there's actually THAT much from the 'Piper'-era that hasn't already surfaced on bootleg. I'm pretty sure only session tapes that survive are the 'Matilda Mother' sessions, and the recently discovered 'Arnold Lane' session tape (as aired in that BBC radio documentary).

I have a feeling that anything else would probably just be alt. mixes that may not be too different from what was released, right?
When I wrote "Syd era" I was thinking 1965-1967, not just the Piper sessions. You're right about session tapes but there are a few substantially different alternate mixes. For example, an early mix of Bike has an alternate vocal track with some different lyrics. Also of note is the stripped down early mix of Lucifer Sam that pre-dates many of the overdubs heard on the LP.
Chris Moise
Knife
Knife

Post by Chris Moise »

flippikat wrote:However the only reasonable one I've heard of is the recently unearthed Stockholm tape, and that still has the problem of very quiet vocals.
True but that only applies to ~13 of the 50 minute tape. With 30 minutes of the set comprised of instrumentals and the vocals loud & clear on all 7:00 of "Set the Controls" the quiet vocals on affects 1/4 of the tape. Toss "Matilda", "Scream" and "Emily" and there is much to savor. Especially considering the circulating version is an aud recording of the tape played back in a noisy room that doesn't begin to hint at the quality of the stereo master. At the least "Pow R Toc H", "Interstellar" and the unheard 8:00 opening track (likely "Reaction in G") demand release.
flippikat
Axe
Axe

Post by flippikat »

Chris Moise wrote:
flippikat wrote:Hmm..not sure there's actually THAT much from the 'Piper'-era that hasn't already surfaced on bootleg. I'm pretty sure only session tapes that survive are the 'Matilda Mother' sessions, and the recently discovered 'Arnold Lane' session tape (as aired in that BBC radio documentary).

When I wrote "Syd era" I was thinking 1965-1967, not just the Piper sessions. You're right about session tapes but there are a few substantially different alternate mixes. For example, an early mix of Bike has an alternate vocal track with some different lyrics. Also of note is the stripped down early mix of Lucifer Sam that pre-dates many of the overdubs heard on the LP.
True true - I never thought about pre-1967 recordings, but there's the Joe Boyd stuff, and Lucy Leave/King Bee, and goodness knows what else from BEFORE Pink Floyd signed to EMI.

As for when a 'Piper' Immersion set would stop, I suppose it all depends where one draws the line.

It can be argued that studio work recorded after August 1967 qualifies as the beginning as the "Saucerful" era, and rightfully belongs there - they were certainly working up new material for the next album or single. However at the same time, Pink Floyd were touring in support of 'Piper' and live performances & BBC sessions reflect that - although we see more and more of the new songs appear in recordings the closer we get to the end of the year.

Any ideas how EMI should divide the late 1967-early 1968 recordings (live, BBC, studio outtakes..) between a Piper set & a Saucerful set?

The difficulties of doing that suggest to me that maybe the best option is to have a "Pink Floyd - The Syd Barrett Years" set that covers everything right up until Feb 1968, and start a 'Saucerful' set with the first recordings with David Gilmour.

Even though one Syd song made it through to the 2nd album, and he plays on 'Set the Controls', a "Barrett Years" box set seems to be the easiest way to divide things, and it creates an all in one package for Barrett-era fans to buy.
flippikat
Axe
Axe

Post by flippikat »

Chris Moise wrote:
flippikat wrote:However the only reasonable one I've heard of is the recently unearthed Stockholm tape, and that still has the problem of very quiet vocals.
True but that only applies to ~13 of the 50 minute tape. With 30 minutes of the set comprised of instrumentals and the vocals loud & clear on all 7:00 of "Set the Controls" the quiet vocals on affects 1/4 of the tape. Toss "Matilda", "Scream" and "Emily" and there is much to savor. Especially considering the circulating version is an aud recording of the tape played back in a noisy room that doesn't begin to hint at the quality of the stereo master. At the least "Pow R Toc H", "Interstellar" and the unheard 8:00 opening track (likely "Reaction in G") demand release.

Ahh.. I was not aware that the vocals problems didn't run through the entire tape - shame that 'Set the Controls' is the only song that features well-miked singing, as there's other live or radio session versions of that song from that era circulating.

Still, there's the faint chance that another tape could surface from another concert - some amazing finds seem to be surfacing all the time (eg the Velvet Underground at the Gymnasium 1967, or The 1971 live tapes of The Stooges playing half a dozen unreleased songs that popped up a couple years ago)
Isntthiswherewe
Blade
Blade

Post by Isntthiswherewe »

What about......Meddle and Animals in the same box <.8.>

Disc 1 CD stereo remaster of meddle
Disc 2 DVD 5.1 version plus rare material
Disc 3 CD strereo remaster of Animals
Disc4 DVD 5.1 version plus rare material audio and visual
Okay, plus a scarf and a frigging marble.
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

Chris Moise wrote:True but that only applies to ~13 of the 50 minute tape. With 30 minutes of the set comprised of instrumentals and the vocals loud & clear on all 7:00 of "Set the Controls" the quiet vocals on affects 1/4 of the tape. Toss "Matilda", "Scream" and "Emily" and there is much to savor. Especially considering the circulating version is an aud recording of the tape played back in a noisy room that doesn't begin to hint at the quality of the stereo master. At the least "Pow R Toc H", "Interstellar" and the unheard 8:00 opening track (likely "Reaction in G") demand release.
The musicianship is turgid, lumpy and unprofessional. Nick sounds like he is drumming with hammers, Roger's bass is an unattractive bellowing sound and the rest is just a sheet of noise. Even in pristine from-the-source stereo the actual musicality of the recording is poor, which has long been hinted from the more well known 1967 live tapes.
Chris Moise
Knife
Knife

Post by Chris Moise »

my breakfast. wrote:The musicianship is turgid, lumpy and unprofessional. Nick sounds like he is drumming with hammers, Roger's bass is an unattractive bellowing sound and the rest is just a sheet of noise..
So what you are saying is Roger and Nick sound like they usually do? I don't think rhythm section performance is substantially different than other shows of the era. I can't agree Syd and Rick, "the rest of it" as you put, it is a sheet of noise. The guitar and Farfisa lines are quite distinct even on the aud tape.
Chris Moise
Knife
Knife

Post by Chris Moise »

flippikat wrote:It can be argued that studio work recorded after August 1967 qualifies as the beginning as the "Saucerful" era, and rightfully belongs there - they were certainly working up new material for the next album or single. However at the same time, Pink Floyd were touring in support of 'Piper' and live performances & BBC sessions reflect that - although we see more and more of the new songs appear in recordings the closer we get to the end of the year.

Any ideas how EMI should divide the late 1967-early 1968 recordings (live, BBC, studio outtakes..) between a Piper set & a Saucerful set? The difficulties of doing that suggest to me that maybe the best option is to have a "Pink Floyd - The Syd Barrett Years" set that covers everything right up until Feb 1968, and start a 'Saucerful' set with the first recordings with David Gilmour.
I count Aug 67 as the start of the Saucerful sessions. I don't think there is a good argument otherwise considering three songs on the LP date from sessions held during August and October.

I like the idea of keeping all of the Syd era material under one umbrella. A 'Syd era' Immersion set would likely cannibalize a Saucerful Immersion set since outtakes of STC, Jugband, and Remember a Day wouldn't already be taken. My only fear is that a joint Piper-Saucer set would result in few rarities seeing release.
Chris Moise
Knife
Knife

Post by Chris Moise »

flippikat wrote:Aside from Scream Thy Last Scream & Vegetable Man, there's also:

* The haywire series of rehearsals from late '67-early '68 (or whatever can be salvaged from them)
* Beechwoods & 'Instrumental' (much bootlegged, but would be nice to hear cleaned up)
* "The Committee" soundtrack work - supposedly the first studio work with David.. would be nice to hear without film dialogue over the top if possible.
Don't forget the 10/67 John Latham film recording -my top holy grail. Then there are unheard alternate takes and early versions of Vegetable Man, Jugband Blues and Paint Box. The Jugband multi-track could be an interesting listen 8)

I hope I'm wrong but I haven't seen any indication the Jan 68 rehearsals were recorded. Same for the Committee soundtrack but I can't say for sure. Small point but David started recording 2-3 months prior to the Committee sessions.