Which Album Would You Choose as Next Immersion Box Set?

General discussion about Pink Floyd.

Which box set would you like to see next?

1967 - Pink Floyd - Piper At The Gates of Dawn
13%
1968 - Pink Floyd - A Saucerful of Secrets
8%
1969 - Pink Floyd - Soundtrack from the Film More
No votes
1969 - Pink Floyd - Ummagumma
3%
1970 - Pink Floyd - Atom Heart Mother
6%
1971 - Pink Floyd - Meddle
18%
1971 - Pink Floyd - Relics
1%
1972 - Pink Floyd - Obscured by Clouds
1%
1977 - Pink Floyd - Animals
40%
1983 - Pink Floyd - The Final Cut
4%
1987 - Pink Floyd - A Momentary Lapse of Reason
2%
1994 - Pink Floyd - The Division Bell
4%

Total votes: 139

flippikat
Axe
Axe

Re: Which Album Would You Choose as Next Immersion Box Set?

Post by flippikat »

Chris Moise wrote:
flippikat wrote:Aside from Scream Thy Last Scream & Vegetable Man, there's also:

* The haywire series of rehearsals from late '67-early '68 (or whatever can be salvaged from them)
* Beechwoods & 'Instrumental' (much bootlegged, but would be nice to hear cleaned up)
* "The Committee" soundtrack work - supposedly the first studio work with David.. would be nice to hear without film dialogue over the top if possible.
Don't forget the 10/67 John Latham film recording -my top holy grail. Then there are unheard alternate takes and early versions of Vegetable Man, Jugband Blues and Paint Box. The Jugband multi-track could be an interesting listen 8)

I hope I'm wrong but I haven't seen any indication the Jan 68 rehearsals were recorded. Same for the Committee soundtrack but I can't say for sure. Small point but David started recording 2-3 months prior to the Committee sessions.
Ahh! The 'John Latham" tape.. yeah, might be something decent.. or might be rubbish - the good news is that there's always 'Instrumental' (Sunshine?) & 'Beechwoods' that have already circulated, but are likely to still exist in the EMI archives, so we could at least get a quality upgrade on those.

Yeah, on reflection, the late '67-early '68 rehearsals might be pushing it - I'm doubtful that much still exists from THAT particular shambles (The "Crazy Diamond" book only lists a couple of instrumental backing tracks from Jan 1968 as still existing) although I've heard an undated instrumental run-through of Vegetable Man on bootleg, and if it really is Syd-era Pink Floyd then the similarity to "White Light/White Heat"-era Velvet Underground is striking.. totally unhinged!

As far as the Committee stuff goes, even the tracks that have made it out on to bootleg (actor's voices included) are really interesting for embryonic versions of 'Saucerful of Secrets' sections. Selections from those sessions WITHOUT the film dialogue would be great, but like you said who knows if those tapes even exist anymore!

Still, as far as Saucerful-era goes, there's plenty of video, promo films etc. and sessions - I've heard a backing track to 'Remember a Day' on a bootleg so there must be some good session tapes still existing.
Chris Moise
Knife
Knife

Post by Chris Moise »

flippikat wrote:Ahh! The 'John Latham" tape.. yeah, might be something decent.. or might be rubbish.
I think at the least it will be interesting. The band thought enough of it to submit it to Latham for use in his film - they were fine with the track being aired in public under their name. Beechwoods was recorded at the session so it seems Syd was in reasonable fettle. Latham's rejection of it doesn't tell us much considering he passed on free jazz pioneer Joe Harriott's submission before electing to us an electric saw as the soundtrack. Latham said he rejected the Floyd track because it was "too musical"....make of that what you will.
flippikat wrote:I'm doubtful that much still exists from THAT particular shambles (The "Crazy Diamond" book only lists a couple of instrumental backing tracks from Jan 1968 as still existing).
Did you mean Random Precision? If so the 1/68 "Rhythm Tracks" reel is just takes of the Let There Be More Light intro.
flippikat wrote:I've heard an undated instrumental run-through of Vegetable Man and if it really is Syd-era..
It's Floyd, it's from the same essions that produced the VM take we all know and love. You'll be happy to know it exists in master tape quality along with additional (unheard) takes. Of course, no guarantee they will release it..
flippikat wrote:I've heard a backing track to 'Remember a Day'..
That's actually a clever forgery made from by manipulating the stereo mix using OOPS (out of phase stereo) and one channel 'mixes' in an effort to remove the vocals.
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

I really like the idea of a Syd era box set (of course one that doesnt cost $125- etc etc) as opposed to yet another Piper reissue
I think tying the release of archival material to a rigid format of official album reissues is inefficient and misrepresentative of what they were doing or trying to do between albums
if the remaining period between Piper and Dark Side were to be similarly divided up into thematic sets instead of by album, how should that be done? thats almost 5 years and we all know there was loads of soundtracks, radio broadcasts, tv appearances, and unreleased improvisations durint that time
flippikat
Axe
Axe

Post by flippikat »

Chris Moise wrote:
flippikat wrote:I'm doubtful that much still exists from THAT particular shambles (The "Crazy Diamond" book only lists a couple of instrumental backing tracks from Jan 1968 as still existing).
Did you mean Random Precision? If so the 1/68 "Rhythm Tracks" reel is just takes of the Let There Be More Light intro.
flippikat wrote:I've heard an undated instrumental run-through of Vegetable Man and if it really is Syd-era..
It's Floyd, it's from the same sessions that produced the VM take we all know and love. You'll be happy to know it exists in master tape quality along with additional (unheard) takes. Of course, no guarantee they will release it..
That's actually a clever forgery made from by manipulating the stereo mix using OOPS (out of phase stereo) and one channel 'mixes' in an effort to remove the vocals.
Cheers for putting me right on a few points there.. and checking back in Random Precision, yeah I was just a little disappointed to see the Jan 1968 tape is just Let There Be More Light sessions.

Still - while it would've been cool if it was some rehearsal of an unknown tune, I suppose it's a sign that much more was kept from the Saucerful sessions than the Piper sessions. (Regardless of the 'Remember a Day' instrumental being an OOPS-generated outfake, it's a nice thing to listen to - and if the policy regarding preserving tapes changed after Piper, there's latitude for much more to be released.. :)

Oh, and that instrumental of VM HAS to be in any box set, it's just dynamite!
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

J Ed wrote: if the remaining period between Piper and Dark Side were to be similarly divided up into thematic sets instead of by album, how should that be done? thats almost 5 years and we all know there was loads of soundtracks, radio broadcasts, tv appearances, and unreleased improvisations durint that time
On this point I seem to be alone in wanting a rarities only Relics box covering 1966-1970. It could be music only or include video too. If music only, another release could be a video anthology as a stand alone dvd.
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

Chris Moise wrote:
Could the intro be an independent bit, later joined with 'Let There Be More Light'? Maybe the intro is from a recording that lasts longer? Maybe there's a version of Barrett and Gilmour together?
Chris Moise wrote:
Are you sure? I've heard that Wright was the source for this backing track, used in the movie of the same name.
nosaj wrote:On this point I seem to be alone in wanting a rarities only Relics box covering 1966-1970. It could be music only or include video too. If music only, another release could be a video anthology as a stand alone dvd.
You're not alone. I would want such a set if the Barrett years are fully covered. It's the Barrett years that mean the most to me.
flippikat
Axe
Axe

Post by flippikat »

Hmm.. maybe a "Relics" set could work - cover 1965-1970, with two versions

- An 2-disc "Deluxe edition" Relics with the original album, plus ALL the remaining singles & B-sides, and a smattering of unreleased tracks.
They could either re-jig the running order to make it chronological, or append the extra tracks on the end of the original Relics tracklist.
(This could be titled the 'Experience Edition' of Relics, as per the Dark Side/WYWH/Wall Experience editions.)

- A larger Relics Immersion set (say 6 to 8 discs) - covering everything from Lucy Leave right through to either the More or Ummagumma sessions.

If THAT was the way to go, I'd be tempted to draw the line just after Ummagumma, which would make the next two albums (Atom Heart Mother & Meddle) ready for sets of their own.

Thoughts?
Chris Moise
Knife
Knife

Post by Chris Moise »

Wolfpack wrote:Could the intro be an independent bit, later joined with 'Let There Be More Light'? Maybe the intro is from a recording that lasts longer? Maybe there's a version of Barrett and Gilmour together?
Well, the intro was recorded as a separate item that was joined with LTBML but Syd was almost certainly not involved. Session documents show 4 musicians on hand [bass, lead guitar, organ, drums] - since the LTBML basic track, guitar and vocal overdubs were recorded at this session we know DG the lead guitarist and Roger, Rick, and Nick played the usual instruments.
Wolfpack wrote:Are you sure? I've heard that Wright was the source for this backing track, used in the movie of the same name.
I'm sure.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

flippikat wrote:Hmm.. maybe a "Relics" set could work - cover 1965-1970, with two versions

- An 2-disc "Deluxe edition" Relics with the original album, plus ALL the remaining singles & B-sides, and a smattering of unreleased tracks.
They could either re-jig the running order to make it chronological, or append the extra tracks on the end of the original Relics tracklist.
(This could be titled the 'Experience Edition' of Relics, as per the Dark Side/WYWH/Wall Experience editions.)

- A larger Relics Immersion set (say 6 to 8 discs) - covering everything from Lucy Leave right through to either the More or Ummagumma sessions.

If THAT was the way to go, I'd be tempted to draw the line just after Ummagumma, which would make the next two albums (Atom Heart Mother & Meddle) ready for sets of their own.

Thoughts?
Obviously, I like it!!!
RonToon
Blade
Blade

Post by RonToon »

flippikat wrote:Hmm.. maybe a "Relics" set could work - cover 1965-1970, with two versions

Thoughts?
As much as I love this idea it is unlikely that there will be any new Immersions sets any time soon...
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

RonToon wrote:As much as I love this idea it is unlikely that there will be any new Immersions sets any time soon...
Have plans been changed? Mason was talking about more sets, wasn't he?
Didn't the sets sell good enough?
Or will there be unreleased material under a different title?

Oh well, it seems that once again, the unreleased material of 1967-1968 is kept in the vault.
And again, no 'Seabirds'. (1969)

But I guess the immersion scarfs can be used to dry our tears? :cry:
RonToon
Blade
Blade

Post by RonToon »

Wolfpack wrote:
RonToon wrote:As much as I love this idea it is unlikely that there will be any new Immersions sets any time soon...
Have plans been changed? Mason was talking about more sets, wasn't he?
Didn't the sets sell good enough?
Or will there be unreleased material under a different title?
Mason can talk/wish all he wants. He has just about ZERO say in any of these projects. The Why Pink Floyd? campaign is over and done with. No plans for any more Immersion sets regardless of current sales and that's why I wrote that it is highly unlikely that there will be any new Immersions sets any time soon.
walter5
Blade
Blade
Location: 13th Floor Elevator, Enron Hubbard Bldg. Houston Texxas

Post by walter5 »

A 67-70 Radio Show set would be a natural. All the BBC appearances, French radio, Netherlands Radio, etc. Several watchable DVDs could be compiled too.

Yes, I'd like to see individual Immersion sets from the 60's-- One for "Piper" (although technically the 40th Anniversary Box probably counts for this entry), one for "SFOS" (hopefully with some previously unreleased studio *or* live material with Rog & Syd), maybe one dedicated to the various movie soundtracks... a lot of less fanatical fans have never heard songs like "Seabirds" or some of the Zabriskie Point outtakes.
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

walter5 wrote:a lot of less fanatical fans have never heard songs like "Seabirds"
'Seabirds' isn't in circulation. (Not counting it being partly used on the distant background of 'More', and not counting the sheet music.)
walter5
Blade
Blade
Location: 13th Floor Elevator, Enron Hubbard Bldg. Houston Texxas

Post by walter5 »

Wolfpack wrote:
walter5 wrote:a lot of less fanatical fans have never heard songs like "Seabirds"
'Seabirds' isn't in circulation. (Not counting it being partly used on the distant background of 'More', and not counting the sheet music.)
Oh, I was definitely counting the "Seabirds" film audio from "More" that was on "A Tree Full Of Secrets" over a decade ago... but I thought I'd heard in passing discussion that the complete recording with a couple of other "More" outtakes were around in rarified trading circles.