New Pink Floyd Album 'The Endless River'

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Re: New Pink Floyd Album 'The Endless River'

Post by Wolfpack »

People who pre-ordered this "Pink Floyd" album haven't fully heard it, yet.
A high amount of pre-ordered albums just shows how popular and commercial the name "Pink Floyd" is.
Hadrian wrote:It is now Nick's turn with The Rolling Stone (http://www.rollingstone.com/music/featu ... r-20141031)
Are the vaults empty now? Are you guys done reissuing the old albums?
Oh no. [Laughs] I can assure you that our record company has no doubts at all that there's more box sets to be done. Recently, I've seen two videos. One on the Genesis story and one on Spandau Ballet, both of which were really good. I hope that at some point we might do something like that. I think there's no substitute for visuals to go with music. I hope at some point we do some sort of anthology of the band with video.
I think this is the most interesting news in months:
- The record company still has plans for box sets.
- Mason still hopes for a sort of anthology of the band with video.
How did this project ['The Endless River'] begin?
[...] I don't think we would have done anything with it had it not been for Andy Jackson, our engineer. He said, "Why don't you let me fiddle around with it and see what I can do?" He spent some time and worked quite hard on it. It was interesting, but it still felt like a collection of unfinished demos. He persevered and did some more, and eventually it go to the point where it felt like something. David and I were still unmoved, though, and David didn't want to spend much time on it. Then getting Phil Manzanera involved came up, and that moved it on. Eventually, Youth also got involved, but still at this point we hadn't made any real commitment to it to do very much with it.
[...]
How did [this project 'The Endless River'] start gaining momentum?
Once Youth had done some work on the thing, I went in to do some drum parts and then David came in and he picked up a guitar. I think that was the point at which he got involved and decided to really put some time in it.
Even after some time and quite hard work by Andy Jackson, Mason and Gilmour were "still unmoved".
Gilmour "didn't want to spend much time on it".
That's how good the unfinished 1990s material apparently is. :lol:

And then it took involvement from Phil Manzanera and Martin Glover (Youth),
and some new Mason drum parts, to get Gilmour involved in the project.

According to this interview, Gilmour at first wasn't enthousiastic about working on 'The Endless River'.
And, apparently, the 1990s material wasn't very memorable at all.

Maybe 'The Endless River' can be seen as some Nick Mason solo project.
Editing recordings and asking Gilmour to overdub some parts.
FransT
Axe
Axe

Post by FransT »

Well, well, well..
The New York Times review:

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/11/02/ar ... ?referrer=

'The results are almost entirely instrumental, structured as four “sides” or movements, an effort that Mr. Gilmour insists will be the final music released under the name Pink Floyd. Lovely passages alternate with segments that feel static and a bit dull'.

'It’s a fine concluding statement on the career of a revolutionary, fractious band, but it also reveals the limitations of Pink Floyd after Mr. Waters’s departure: Great sound can’t fully overcome flabby structure'.

Brutally honest review.
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

This album is going to be hammered, hard by the critics.
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

Wolfpack wrote: David and I were still unmoved, though, and David didn't want to spend much time on it. Then getting Phil Manzanera involved came up, and that moved it on. Eventually, Youth also got involved, but still at this point we hadn't made any real commitment to it to do very much with it.
[...]
How did [this project 'The Endless River'] start gaining momentum?
Once Youth had done some work on the thing, I went in to do some drum parts and then David came in and he picked up a guitar. I think that was the point at which he got involved and decided to really put some time in it.

How inspiring. Wow.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

It's sad that "fans" are practically hard and bursting out their trousers at the thought of it being panned. And that bit about Waters is complete nonsense anyway since he was never the best 'musically' in the band and his own work has suffered bad musically since leaving Pink Floyd.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

kjek1 wrote:It's sad that "fans" are practically hard and bursting out their trousers at the thought of it being panned. And that bit about Waters is complete nonsense anyway since he was never the best 'musically' in the band and his own work has suffered bad musically since leaving Pink Floyd.
My trousers are made of strong enough quality to not burst, thank you! :lol:
I'm not relishing the album getting panned, it's just that with people making You Tube videos of what they shat our their arses today then it's inevitable we'll be seeing "OMG! This is the worst Pink Floyd album ever!!" videos by people who were probably still in nappies when TDB got released!
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

regardless, people definitely can't hide their 'glee' no matter how hard they try.

Critical opinion isn't something that matters a great deal to me personally. The Division Bell takes a fair amount of slagging and I like it, at the end of the day I like what I like, I don't need some other guy with two working ears the same as mine telling me what's to like.
hypermikem
Axe
Axe

Post by hypermikem »

kjek1 wrote:regardless, people definitely can't hide their 'glee' no matter how hard they try.

Critical opinion isn't something that matters a great deal to me personally. The Division Bell takes a fair amount of slagging and I like it, at the end of the day I like what I like, I don't need some other guy with two working ears the same as mine telling me what's to like.
This. Most definitely. I highly doubt the negativity displayed on the internet is doing much to dissuade the fans as evidenced by the presales numbers. Also I never said that I absolutely love every album PF has ever done. PF is my favorite group of all time. So yeah I find the good in all the albums, an yes there is good material in each and every one of them. I too certainly don't need anyone telling me what to like or dislike based on their viewpoint. This album I trust will be no different. There will be parts that make my hair stand up and parts that just sail by hardly noticed. I am under no illusion that this album will be the pinnacle of PF. This seems to be a forum that is meant to celebrate all that is Pink Floyd and yes discuss differing opinions, but I can't help but to notice that it seems to be the aim of some to tear them down and shit on them at just about every turn. So then why be a fan posting on this forum? Lamenting what "used to be Pink Floyd"? Biased? Hell yeah I am biased. I plainly state that PF is my #1 band. That's not hard to deduce in light of that and I choose to celebrate this last work and absorb it for what it is. If I had a dime for everytime Siskel & Ebbert told me a movie sucked only to find that I absolutely loved it I'd be a rich rich man. So critics are merely people with an opinion. I would hope most people have the good sense to give the album a try and not let negative opinion keep them from making up their own mind with their own ears.
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

What do these platitudes have to do with The Endless River?

With all due respect, saying "I like what I like, regardless of critics" over and over isn't really saying anything at all.
tjrrockandrollmaster
Axe
Axe

Post by tjrrockandrollmaster »

hypermikem wrote:
kjek1 wrote:regardless, people definitely can't hide their 'glee' no matter how hard they try.

This. Most definitely. I highly doubt the negativity displayed on the internet is doing much to dissuade the fans as evidenced by the presales numbers. Also I never said that I absolutely love every album PF has ever done. PF is my favorite group of all time. So yeah I find the good in all the albums, an yes there is good material in each and every one of them. I too certainly don't need anyone telling me what to like or dislike based on their viewpoint. This album I trust will be no different. There will be parts that make my hair stand up and parts that just sail by hardly noticed. I am under no illusion that this album will be the pinnacle of PF. This seems to be a forum that is meant to celebrate all that is Pink Floyd and yes discuss differing opinions, but I can't help but to notice that it seems to be the aim of some to tear them down and shit on them at just about every turn. So then why be a fan posting on this forum? Lamenting what "used to be Pink Floyd"? Biased? Hell yeah I am biased. I plainly state that PF is my #1 band. That's not hard to deduce in light of that and I choose to celebrate this last work and absorb it for what it is. If I had a dime for everytime Siskel & Ebbert told me a movie sucked only to find that I absolutely loved it I'd be a rich rich man. So critics are merely people with an opinion. I would hope most people have the good sense to give the album a try and not let negative opinion keep them from making up their own mind with their own ears.
The only Pink Floyd albums/tunes that were the weakest were The Zabriskie Point soundtrack tracks and outtakes (sans Country Song and the rejected blues number) and The Final Cut musically I love BUT LYRICALLY is out dated. The Momentary Lapse and Animals albums I prefer them live (especially Animals as Rick got to play more solos especially on Pigs Live). To quote the late Freddie Mercury "I don't give a sh*t what some a**hole critic thinks". I've heard more than enough to know that this is a great album. I mean Led Zeppelin when they did Coda added 1982 vocals to "Walter's Walk" and Jimmy Page added 1982 era guitars to that and "We're Gonna Groove". Queen when they did Made in Heaven saw Brian May. Roger Taylor and John Deacon add new overdubs from 1980-89 recordings. When I did my video about the announcement of the album I defended The Endless River and what I have heard has ensured me to buy on ALL FORMATS! Hopefully hit #1 in the States if that stupid redneck Garth Brooks doesn't pull a hick job!
hypermikem
Axe
Axe

Post by hypermikem »

And that is all you got from those posts? That's what you chose to take away from them? :roll: Why doesn't that surprise me? The point is to let people make up their own mind. Critics be damned. Then if after hearing the entire concept album(which are meant to be heard from start to finish by the way) they decide that it was a waste of money, then at least they gave it a fair shot. That is respectable. I'm sure that's all the boys ask of their fans.
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

hypermikem wrote:Critics be damned. then if after hearing the entire concept album(which are meant to be hear start to finish by the way) they decide that it was a waste of money, then at least they gave it a fair shot. That is respectable. I'm sure that's all the boys ask of their fans.
Yes, all the "boys" ask from customers is to FIRST buy their album
and after that, decide if it was worth the money. :lol:

I'd rather save my money for the box sets,
if they ever will be released.
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

hypermikem wrote:And that is all you got from those posts? That's what you chose to take away from them? :roll: Why doesn't that surprise me? The point is to let people make up their own mind. Critics be damned.
You do realize that this says nothing, right? It's a platitude. People will always make up their own mind regarding art. But it says nothing about The Endless River, good or bad or even interesting.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

Flathead wrote:What do these platitudes have to do with The Endless River?

With all due respect, saying "I like what I like, regardless of critics" over and over isn't really saying anything at all.
I believe it was in response to the pulsating erections some got at the sight of a negative review.

And with regards to that 'reviewer'. The fact he thinks it might have been less dull if it had included Roger's trusty G,C,D chord progression suggests to me he might not be all that clued up on the Floyd.
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

kjek1 wrote: I believe it was in response to the pulsating erections some got at the sight of a negative review.
That's quite an image, lol. Do you write for Penthouse?
And with regards to that 'reviewer'. The fact he thinks it might have been less dull if it had included Roger's trusty G,C,D chord progression suggests to me he might not be all that clued up on the Floyd.

Hmmm....I'm pretty sure that Pink Floyd would indeed be better with its chief songwriter, live show pioneer, chief conceptualist, co-founder, and lyricist.

i don't know anyone who thinks otherwise.