New Pink Floyd Album 'The Endless River'

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Bigmanpigman
Knife
Knife

Re: New Pink Floyd Album 'The Endless River'

Post by Bigmanpigman »

Flathead wrote:
kjek1 wrote: I believe it was in response to the pulsating erections some got at the sight of a negative review.
That's quite an image, lol. Do you write for Penthouse?
And with regards to that 'reviewer'. The fact he thinks it might have been less dull if it had included Roger's trusty G,C,D chord progression suggests to me he might not be all that clued up on the Floyd.

Hmmm....I'm pretty sure that Pink Floyd would indeed be better with its chief songwriter, live show pioneer, chief conceptualist, co-founder, and lyricist.

i don't know anyone who thinks otherwise.

You're missing something - Roger was never any kind of musician, which Dave and Rick were/are for sure.
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

That's an old wive's tale. Have you heard The Wall demos?

He basically showed up with most of the melodies for the album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIL9XBPoB10

I've always considered Roger and Dave equals. But with how TER is turning out, and the lukewarm responses to AMLOR and TDB , it's becoming clear that Waters was the brains and the heart of this band.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

Flathead wrote:
kjek1 wrote: I believe it was in response to the pulsating erections some got at the sight of a negative review.
That's quite an image, lol. Do you write for Penthouse?
And with regards to that 'reviewer'. The fact he thinks it might have been less dull if it had included Roger's trusty G,C,D chord progression suggests to me he might not be all that clued up on the Floyd.

Hmmm....I'm pretty sure that Pink Floyd would indeed be better with its chief songwriter, live show pioneer, chief conceptualist, co-founder, and lyricist.

i don't know anyone who thinks otherwise.
I don't think anyone would deny they were far better with him in the band. But the notion it's all about Roger is hilarious, amuses me to death actually. If that was the case his solo efforts wouldn't be dirge musically.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

Flathead wrote:That's an old wive's tale. Have you heard The Wall demos?

He basically showed up with most of the melodies for the album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIL9XBPoB10

I've always considered Roger and Dave equals. But with how TER is turning out, and the lukewarm responses to AMLOR and TDB , it's becoming clear that Waters was the brains and the heart of this band.
yet the albums most memorable moment is Comfortably Numb, music composed by Gilmour and most famous for his soaring guitar solos haha.

I don't get this poisonous attitude some have to anything post Waters, fanboy is actually an appropriate word for some folk. I have the deepest respect for all of them, but I hate the notion that Roger was the be all and end all when musically the best stuff was NOT composed by him.
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

For evidence, I'd like to present this piece. It's called [My Stomach] Is Turning. I believe the artist called it the tide is turning. Check out the chord progression. I-V-vi-IV (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOlDewpCfZQ&sns=em). The choir at the end. Pure genius. Clearly the most talented floyd member.

Sorry I couldn't help myself. We're at less than a week away and the Roger crap is back. Let's all get a grip and sing wish you were here while holding hands honestly.
bboynexus
Blade
Blade

Post by bboynexus »

Flathead wrote:This album is going to be hammered, hard by the critics.
So far it has been anything but. Indeed, virtually every review released so far has been fundamentally positive while being balanced and fair in its criticism.

Unlike yourself, Wyoming.
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

Flathead wrote: it's becoming clear that Waters was the brains and the heart of this band
Talking about this only makes sense within the context of the 1968-1985 era (post-Barrett, and before Waters left).

I would say that Waters was half of the equation there: his real strengths were on the conceptual size and as a lyricist, while David's and Rick's strengths were the music itself. The Dark Side of the Moon is the best Pink Floyd album exactly because these two parts are in perfect balance: there is a strong overall concept binding the whole album (and the concept is about general human condition - not personal Waters context and/or daily politics, like it would become later) and the lyrics of individual songs are great, while at the same time music on it is phenomenal. Wish You Were Here has the best sound imo, but it is conceptually weaker (as I stated previously on this thread, it is conceptually two half-albums - one about the loss of Syd, and another about the music industry) and that perfect balance is already gone. Later it goes out of whack with each new album.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

Hadrian wrote:
Flathead wrote: it's becoming clear that Waters was the brains and the heart of this band
Talking about this only makes sense within the context of the 1968-1985 era (post-Barrett, and before Waters left).

I would say that Waters was half of the equation there: his real strengths were on the conceptual size and as a lyricist, while David's and Rick's strengths were the music itself. The Dark Side of the Moon is the best Pink Floyd album exactly because these two parts are in perfect balance: there is a strong overall concept binding the whole album (and the concept is about general human condition - not personal Waters context and/or daily politics, like it would become later) and the lyrics of individual songs are great, while at the same time music on it is phenomenal. Wish You Were Here has the best sound imo, but it is conceptually weaker (as I stated previously on this thread, it is conceptually two half-albums - one about the loss of Syd, and another about the music industry) and that perfect balance is already gone. Later it goes out of whack with each new album.
Very well put in my opinion. I was starting to think Roger had multiple log ins on here, but then I remembered even he isn't bitter any more.
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

kjek1 wrote: I don't get this poisonous attitude some have to anything post Waters, fanboy is actually an appropriate word for some folk.

This view is represented by the majority of music listeners. No post-Waters work makes the top 10,000 at Rate Your Music despite Floyd dominating the top 100.

As far as compositions, Waters was no worse than any of the other members. See Money, Brain Damage/Eclipse, Mother, Goodbye Blue Sky, etc. It's pretty obvious when you hear the wall demos that his compositional skills were extraordinary.
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

kjek1 wrote:

I don't think anyone would deny they were far better with him in the band. But the notion it's all about Roger is hilarious, amuses me to death actually. If that was the case his solo efforts wouldn't be dirge musically.
I agree with this. However, this clear and palpable reduction in skill applied across the board. it happened to all members of Pink Floyd, and IMHO was the result of the diverging parties surrounding themselves with good buddies and Yes-Men in the studio, avoiding any slight uncomfortable moments at any cost. I also blame Waters lack of keeping up to date with the latest mood/rock music. This is essential to keeping a vibrant, open mind in the arts, whether painting, music, or writing. This also applies to Mason, Gilmour, and Wright. They made it, made it big, and after The Wall, lived in bubbles and stopped challenging themselves.

I think music critics Greg Kott and Jim DeRogatis (huge Floyd fans) said it best when they panned OAI, saying "this is a guy who's idea of challenging himself musically is to play the sax".
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

Flathead wrote:
kjek1 wrote: I don't get this poisonous attitude some have to anything post Waters, fanboy is actually an appropriate word for some folk.

This view is represented by the majority of music listeners. No post-Waters work makes the top 10,000 at Rate Your Music despite Floyd dominating the top 100.

As far as compositions, Waters was no worse than any of the other members. See Money, Brain Damage/Eclipse, Mother, Goodbye Blue Sky, etc. It's pretty obvious when you hear the wall demos that his compositional skills were extraordinary.
That post Waters Floyd wasn't as good? You're right. That Water's was the be all and end all of Floyd? Complete nonsense. And nop,e you're talking rubbish. Neither of your mentioned songs there are anywhere near the gold standard of Floyds catalogue musically.

Give it up mate.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

Flathead wrote:
kjek1 wrote:

I agree with this. However, this clear and palpable reduction in skill applied across the board. it happened to all members of Pink Floyd, and IMHO was the result of the diverging parties surrounding themselves with good buddies and Yes-Men in the studio, avoiding any slight uncomfortable moments at any cost. I also blame Waters lack of keeping up to date with the latest mood/rock music. This is essential to keeping a vibrant, open mind in the arts, whether painting, music, or writing. This also applies to Mason, Gilmour, and Wright. They made it, made it big, and after The Wall, lived in bubbles and stopped challenging themselves.

I think music critics Greg Kott and Jim DeRogatis (huge Floyd fans) said it best when they panned OAI, saying "this is a guy who's idea of challenging himself musically is to play the sax".
I don't get the challenging themselves bit personally. I don't really want them to change their styles just to move with the times. I like Floyd for their own unique sound, if they wanted to keep spinning that forever then that suits me fine. I don't want them changing it just because some critic who may or may not even have any musical abilities or training himself thinks they should mix it up.
mastaflatch
Knife
Knife

Post by mastaflatch »

I'll quote the late great Syd Barrett for posterity: It's gettin' heavy, isn't it?
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

I sustain that the division bell is a great album with amazing music in it. If you don't like it, then you were listening for something in Pink Floyd that's hopefully satisfied by the repetitive stuff Waters is stuck in. But I am beginning to think I should thank him for doing all he did because it gave us an evolved PF in TDB and perhaps soon TER.
UsNotThem
Blade
Blade

Post by UsNotThem »

I have to say, even though I'm a massive Waters fan-boy, both AMLOR and TDB are so refreshing to the ears compared to the dark themes and recycled themes from Roger.

I love The Wall and The Final Cut, but going to listen to The Division Bell is like a breath of fresh air.

:)