New Pink Floyd Album 'The Endless River'

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Re: New Pink Floyd Album 'The Endless River'

Post by kjek1 »

I just disagree with so much on here. The day Gilmour stop's sticking solo's in there because he's worried people might find him 'predictable' is the day my interest in his music will drop off a bit. I'm a guitar enthusiast but even if I wasn't I feel I'd have the same stance given how big a part of the Floyd legacy lead guitar is.

I'm a big believer in doing what you're good at and what feels right, not attempting to change to please others or to meet someone else's personal expectations.

And this thing about a reviewer singling out the 'sax' on OAI. What on Earth is that supposed to prove? Complete nonsense, for starts it's a solo album, secondly, one minute he's getting berated for including predictable guitar solo's, the next minute he's being criticized for including a different instrument?! make up your minds and at least try and be consistent. The way I see it, he took Sax lessons, he had a solo album, he decided he'd like to play the instrument on his own album, big deal.
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

lurkingfear wrote:
Bullshit; many artists only develop their own unique style or sound by purposefully turning away from seeing or hearing others.
You can't know what not to do if you don't hear what not to do. ;) Artists need to be stimulated by new experiences. The creative mind welcomes and absorbs fresh material, concepts, and technique. Otherwise, things go stale.

Until that point their work often is derivative of others.
So artists only find their own sound by not listening to music? Weird.

But also Pink Floyd doesn't need to be innovative.
They aren't, and haven't been for a long time, since The Wall. Luckily for educated music listeners, bands like Radiohead and The Flaming Lips haven't made the same mistake.

They made their fortune and have a healthy stream of royalties that will continue long after the final members death. Pining about being cutting edge is simply an excuse to bitch.

A a listener and consumer of the arts, their income has no relevance to me, and should have no effect on their music. And as a Pink Floyd fan, settling for mediocrity is odd to me.
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

raisemyrent wrote:Also agreed that no amount of extended solo can fix a bad song like a great day for freedom. I always call that an excuse for a guitar solo, and a boring one at that.

Yep. With Waters in the band, the solo always served the song. After Waters left, it seems the songs became excuses for a guitar solo. That's just poor songwriting

Reminds me of on an island kind of. Beautifully produced mediocre songs.

Agreed.
Photogaz
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Photogaz »

New here. Can't wait for the new album. I found a clip on YouTube, can anyone tell me if it really is from the new album or just some idiot trying to get ad clicks?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFE0wDxSLPs

To me it sounds related to Time? So thought maybe it was a dark side outtaker
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

Flathead wrote: Yep. With Waters in the band, the solo always served the song. After Waters left, it seems the songs became excuses for a guitar solo. That's just poor songwriting
What does that even mean? Sounds like preten......actually never mind. But it sounds like a complete lot of nonsense. I'll give you a chance to explain yourself but I get the feeling I'm going to roll my eyes are whatever the explanation is.

Poor songwriting though? We're talking about Pink Floyd, I think they know what makes a good song, after all they had a bit of success in their time.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

The thing that must Gilmour fans seem to forget about, or don't even realize, is that, during the golden age of the Floyd, Roger Waters didn't just write the lyrics, he also came with the fncking CHORDS for the songs! He was the SONGWRITER not just the lyricist as they like to think. Wish You Were Here was a SONG composed by Waters, that later got attached a lovely guitar intro composed by Gilmour. Bu that song you all love, the chords and the melody, was composed by Waters, not Gilmour as you like to believe, the same way as he composed Money, Brain Damage, Eclipse, Welcome To The Machine, POTW, PIGS, SHEEP, half of Dogs and 90% of The Wall!! So yeah when Waters was gone they lost A LOT more than just a mere lyricist, the lost structure and songcraft too.

Problem is, after The Wall Waters completely lost it too!
The only Pink Floyd albums/tunes that were the weakest were The Zabriskie Point soundtrack tracks and outtakes, sans Country Song and the rejected blues number...
And yet, I highly doubt that any of the Division Bell demos and jams that are going to be released in this new album will even remotely approach the level of beauty and emotion that you can find in this unreleased Rick Wright track from said soundtrack...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxC6kfrwBLs

If Endless River is about celebrating Rick Wright and listening to him one last time, and if it even includes an unreleased recording from 1969, then it makes you wonder why Gilmour didn't consider including this on the new album? It' so pretty and SO Wright! Maybe he isn't even aware of it?

... or maybe he is too busy right now shutting down the good folks of Harvested records so he can keep people in complete obscurity about what's on the vaults! Thanks Mr. Gilmour! I love your music but I hate your shitty attitude towards your fans. In that respect I gotta admit that over time Mr. "Dictator" Waters have proven to be a cooler human being than thou too. SHINE ON $♥CKER!

Sorry, I just recently found out about the whole harvested thing. IT SUCKS SO MUCH :(

I was seriously excited about The Endless River, and was sure about buying it regardless of the actual quality of the music. But now I think I'm going to protest with my wallet... in quiet desperation.
Last edited by danielcaux on Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

danielcaux wrote:The thing that must Gilmour fans seem to forget about, or don't even realize, is that, during the golden age of the Floyd, Roger Waters didn't just wrote the lyrics, he also came with the fncking CHORDS for the songs! He was the SONGWRITER not just the lyricist as they like to think. Wish You Were Here was a SONG composed by Waters, that later got attached a lovely guitar intro composed by Gilmour. Bu that song you all love, the chords and the melody, was composed by Waters, not Gilmour as you like to believe, the same way as he composed Money, Brain Damage, Eclipse, Welcome To The Machine, POTW, PIGS, SHEEP, half of Dogs and 90% of The Wall!! So yeah when Waters was gone they lost A LOT more than just a mere lyricist, the lost structure and songcraft too.

The only Pink Floyd albums/tunes that were the weakest were The Zabriskie Point soundtrack tracks and outtakes, sans Country Song and the rejected blues number...
And yet, I highly doubt that any of the Division Bell demos and jams that are going to be released in this new album will even remotely approach the level of beauty and emotion that you can find in this unreleased Rick Wright track from said soundtrack...

[YouTube]youtube.com/watch?v=xxC6kfrwBLs[/YouTube]

If Endless River is about celebrating Rick Wright and listening to him one last time, and if it even includes an unreleased recording from 1969, then it makes you wonder why Gilmour didn't consider including this on the new album? It' so pretty and SO Wright! Maybe he isn't even aware of it?

... or maybe he is too busy right now shutting down the good folks of Harvested records so he can keep people in complete obscurity about what's on the vaults! Thanks Mr. Gilmour! I love your music but I hate your shitty attitude towards your fans. In that respect I gotta admit that over time Mr. "Dictator" Waters have proven to be a cooler human being than thou too. SHINE ON $♥CKER!

Sorry, I just recently found out about the whole harvested thing. IT SUCKS SO MUCH :(

I was seriously excited about The Endless River, and was sure about buying it regardless of the actual quality of the music. But now I think I'm going to protest with my wallet... in quiet desperation.
Gilmour fans? And here i thought we were all Floyd fans.

And yeah after Wish You Were Here Water's becomes the main composer, which is where the quality of music noticeably drops. And from what I've heard and I'm sure Roger has said, the Wish You Were Here chord progression was done by both himself and Gilmour, though it would actually fit with one of Rogers tunes with the whole C,D.G.AM thing.

Ask most Floyd fans what their favourite songs are, you'll probably get Shine On, Echoes and Comfortably Numb. All 3 heavy on Gilmour, 2 heavy on Gilmour AND Wright. So let's not pretend Water's was the musical genius of Floyd too when he quite clearly wasn't. RogerWatersFanClub would be a more apt name for this forum at times.

Also musically the best tracks on Dark Side are "Time" and "Great Gig" and "Us and them" in my opinions, so I think Rick deserves enormous credit.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

danielcaux wrote:
I'm sure that'll hurt them. But I say good, means it's one less whinger we'll have to put up with when it's finally out.

Also, to have a go at Gilmour's attitude and continuously jump to elevate Roger? Christ, yeah RogerWatersFanClub.com
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

I'm not a Waters fan, in fact I pretty much hate his solo output. I'm just stating the facts about their actions. If that doesnt fit in your "Gilmour is awesome" narrative, then sorry, that's your own problem.

You are right, must Floyd fans also fail to realize that Waters was the main songcrafter during the 70s.

Musical genius he surely was not. Just the best songwriter and tunesmith of the bunch. For further prove take a listen to Gilmour and Wright's solo albums from the 70s, both are loaded with nice production and sounds, but dont have a single decent TUNE in them! They both suck at songcraft. And now Roger Waters sucks at that too.

That's why the only musical genius in Pink Floyd was Syd Barrett, even when he had lost all his marbles he could find his way around a melody, in a clever way.
Last edited by danielcaux on Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

kjek1 wrote:
Flathead wrote: Yep. With Waters in the band, the solo always served the song. After Waters left, it seems the songs became excuses for a guitar solo. That's just poor songwriting
What does that even mean? Sounds like preten......actually never mind. But it sounds like a complete lot of nonsense. I'll give you a chance to explain yourself but I get the feeling I'm going to roll my eyes are whatever the explanation is.
It's pretty obvious what I meant. Everything should serve the song. But in later years, the songs feel like merely vehicles for guitar solos.
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

danielcaux wrote:The thing that must Gilmour fans seem to forget about, or don't even realize, is that, during the golden age of the Floyd, Roger Waters didn't just write the lyrics, he also came with the fncking CHORDS for the songs! He was the SONGWRITER not just the lyricist as they like to think. Wish You Were Here was a SONG composed by Waters, that later got attached a lovely guitar intro composed by Gilmour. Bu that song you all love, the chords and the melody, was composed by Waters, not Gilmour as you like to believe, the same way as he composed Money, Brain Damage, Eclipse, Welcome To The Machine, POTW, PIGS, SHEEP, half of Dogs and 90% of The Wall!! So yeah when Waters was gone they lost A LOT more than just a mere lyricist, the lost structure and songcraft too.
Bingo. A massive, irreplaceable loss.

There's no denying this.
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

kjek1 wrote: And yeah after Wish You Were Here Water's becomes the main composer, which is where the quality of music noticeably drops.
Animals is ranked #31 all time at Rate your Music, and received a rare 10/10 from Pitchfork (an online hipster mag that dislikes Floyd). The Wall is ranked #110 at Rate Your Music.

There's no way the quality of the music decreased, it just changed, like Floyd was always changing. In fact, the only project associated with Pink Floyd to even make the top 10,000 at Rate Your Music (after The Wall) is Amused to Death.
Ask most Floyd fans what their favourite songs are, you'll probably get Shine On, Echoes and Comfortably Numb. All 3 heavy on Gilmour, 2 heavy on Gilmour AND Wright. So let's not pretend Water's was the musical genius of Floyd too when he quite clearly wasn't. RogerWatersFanClub would be a more apt name for this forum at times.
Waters was one of several musical geniuses in the band. But he seemed to bring passion and fire (as Gilmour said, he was very forceful in sound) My favorite album is Meddle, BTW, and, IMHO, this is the sound Waters and Gilmour needed to retreat to after The Wall. they did not, and instead surrounded themselves with yes-men and did everything possible to not be uncomfortable. It shows in the complacent, dull music.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

danielcaux wrote:I'm not a Waters fan, in fact I pretty much hate his solo output. I'm just stating the facts about their actions. If that doesnt fit in your "Gilmour is awesome" narrative, then sorry, that's your own problem.

You are right, must Floyd fans also fail to realize that Waters was the main songcrafter during the 70s.

Musical genius he surely was not. Just the best songwriter and tunesmith of the bunch. For further prove take a listen to Gilmour and Wright's solo albums from the 70s, both are loaded with nice production and sounds, but dont have a single decent TUNE in them! They both suck at songcraft. And now Roger Waters sucks at that too.

That's why the only musical genius in Pink Floyd was Syd Barrett, even when he had lost all his marbles he could find his way around a melody, in a clever way.
<--Mod edit. Tone your language and aggressiveness down or I will issue bans. You have been warned.
Regards. Snifferdog -->

I don't have a narrative, that's you mate. And Syd the only musical genius from Floyd? I won't even address that, it's not worth my time.

And The Wall is a big step back from Wish You Were Here an even Animals musically. I couldn't give two shits who ranked it what either to be honest, I think it's impressive for it's concept and lyrical content.
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

kjek1 wrote:
danielcaux wrote:I was seriously excited about The Endless River, and was sure about buying it regardless of the actual quality of the music. But now I think I'm going to protest [against shutting down Harvested records] with my wallet... in quiet desperation.
I'm sure that'll hurt them. But I say good, means it's one less whinger we'll have to put up with when it's finally out.
I'm sure he will find a free way to listen or even download the album. [-D-]

Why so agressive, using words like "whinger"?
You and others seem to be afraid of critics. Maybe because you know that they know better? :P

Even Mason and Gilmour were not impressed with the material they had to work with for 'The Endless River'.
Apparently, 'The Big Spliff' is a myth.
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

There is an extended version of the TER Electronic Press Kit interview with David and Nick on Astoria, posted on Amazon UK (see: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pink-Floyd/e/B0 ... 630&sr=8-1). It goes for 09:09, and there is more album music in the background.