New Pink Floyd Album 'The Endless River'

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
FreeFour
Knife
Knife

Re: New Album 'The endless River'

Post by FreeFour »

Really looking forward to this....it's been a very long time since we've experienced "new pink floyd album".....enjoy the ride !
bonjanee
Axe
Axe

Post by bonjanee »

Fantastic news. As alluded to on another thread, I think they were on to something in terms of a new sound around this time. The Division Bell has some amazing instrumental moments and the interplay between Gilmour and Wright on it is fantastic. I always wondered why the didnt put this out after the tour as they spoke about it so openly in interviews.

Really looking forward to this.
Felix Atagong
Axe
Axe

Post by Felix Atagong »

Col Turner knew this for a while and only published the news after the Polly tweet. This was taken very seriously by the PF management and they threatened with 'legal' action, so Col took the news down again. Of course Polly's tweet (and the various confirmations) have been published on numerous other sites, so Col pulled down A Fleeting Glimpse out of protest. Please leave a message out of solidarity at their forum.

"SITE CLOSED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE"
http://www.pinkfloydz.com/
Isntthiswherewe
Blade
Blade

Post by Isntthiswherewe »

Well, they certainly did break the tradition of "album tour, album tour" Didn't they!
I cant see that, should they tour, they would have the choice of playing smaller venues. A lot of fans would be disappointed if they couldn't get tickets for a farewell tour. Even playing Arena's means more gigs. Better to play stadiums if you want to work less. They could easily top the last tour with todays modern technology. Look what Roger has just done and Genesis in 2007. Its not like Gilmour has to think it up himself. Clever people turn up with ideas and designs and they just pick something.
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

I'll reserve judgement until I hear it. Cynical old me wonders why it wasn't good enough to be released in the last 20 years :? It also feels a bit hollow. Roger had left by that time of course and Rick's gone. Did Nick have any recent input into this?
UsNotThem
Blade
Blade

Post by UsNotThem »

I think people are getting over-excited about this release, sparking rumours about tours. It's great to finally hear some new music from the Floyd, but that's all it is. It's not an entirely new album, it's just stuff left over from The Division Bell with some new vocals by David.

Don't get me wrong, I am so stoked for this, as I'd never thought I'd see another Pink Floyd album released in my life time, I wasn't even born when the last one was released. So I'm very excited for this! But I'm not expecting a tour at all. That will never happen, never in a million years. I'd love it if they did, but it's never gonna happen.

However, A NEW BLOODY FLOYD ALBUM. We should be just grateful for that.

Bloody hell, this post has been a bit bipolar.

:)
lurkingfear
Axe
Axe

Post by lurkingfear »

UsNotThem wrote:I think people are getting over-excited about this release, sparking rumours about tours. It's great to finally hear some new music from the Floyd, but that's all it is. It's not an entirely new album, it's just stuff left over from The Division Bell with some new vocals by David.
:)
Keep in mind that Animals was "stuff left over from Wish You Were Here" with mostly rewritten lyrics and some additional rearrangement.
In fact, "Us and Them" was recycled in the ecat same way from a track Richard wrote for Zabrisky point (IIRC).
It also could be lots of bits that got expanded on with new tracks and rearranged similar to how "Echoes" evolved from various stages of "nothing".
If it is as Polly says it is, this is classic Floyd recycling, which is how some of our most beloved Floyd compositions came to be.
cwta eugene
Hammer
Hammer

Re: New Pink Floyd Album 'The endless River'

Post by cwta eugene »

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited, but not expecting too much. I've come to expect minimal effort from anything PF has done in the last 20 years. There will be no tour, no Waters, and most likely only 2 or 3 songs with lyrics. The rest will be instrumentals intermixing big spliff/ barn jam stuff. Cool, but not exactly mind-blowing.
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

azza200 wrote:Andy Jackson:
“It is the extrapolation of the ‘Big Spliff,’” he explains, “a bunch of jams from ‘The Div(ision) Bell” sessions that have had new overdubs done in the last year or so.”
Overdubs of vocals and bass by Roger Waters. :lol:

I'd rather finally have a Barrett Immersion.
But maybe I've written that before, already? :)
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

I'm keeping my optimism cautious.

"On An Island" was a great album to take a nap to...that's about all I had to say about it eight years ago. Maybe I should give it another listen. *shrug*

Recording technology has advanced enough that anyone with a ten year old copy of Cakewalk and access to the vaults could construct new Richard Wright keyboard parts out of any takes that may be lying around. From there, it's just a question of organizing the various components into a song and figuring out what the other instruments should be doing to compliment the keyboard tracks.

This doesn't surprise me in the least. In fact...*ahem*...it makes perfect sense.
everton1690
Knife
Knife

Post by everton1690 »

if it wasn't good enough then , why is it good enough now

hmmmm were have we heard this before dave ??

my view,

dave has probably got a hold of some of the stuff rick was supposedly working on for a new solo effort before he died and is using these with all the leftovers from the division bell and knocking something up.

I for one will look forward to hearing any new offering, but I hope he and nick don't go out on tour under the name PF with 35 session musicians, cant see it anyway.

and I wish polly Samson would just stay off the whole PF scene, think she has a bit much involvement

IMO :lol:
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

Amazing news! I didn't believe it when I saw the email's title.
The Gunner's Dream
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by The Gunner's Dream »

Dave must be running short on spending money.

It will be (hopefully) interesting to hear unreleased sessions from the Division Bell period, but it is worrying that, with how dull parts of the Division Bell are, THIS wasn't good enough for that album. Hopefully they are doing some serious re-working while still keeping Wright's keyboard contributions intact. Without Rick's input I don't see it being any different than a Gilmour solo album with Nick guesting on drums.

Hopefully I'll be proven wrong, but it seems like a money grab to me. Too good to be true.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

everton1690 wrote:if it wasn't good enough then , why is it good enough now
Several people have asked this question...and of all the answers I've seen to that question, none of them have been the obvious answer:

Because Gilmour finally got around to seeing what could be done with it.

Remember, these "leftovers" from The Division Bell are probably little different from the pieces that began The Division Bell.

Read a Pink Floyd book, for fuck's sake...they didn't WRITE that album and then just toss this stuff aside; they jammed...and jammed...and jammed...and jammed...and they took the bits that they liked best (in the moment) and then made songs out of those.

Gilmour's probably doing the same thing, here. Taking the bits which seem most promising and turning them into songs.

It's not that they weren't "good enough" before...it's just that at the time, these bits were liked a little bit less than the bits which became TDB.

Time and perspective change things. Perhaps Gilmour started sifting through things and heard something and said "hey...that's better than I remember it being."
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

Being a worrying sort, I'll be concerned that we'll get formless songs over ambient backdrops. However, I often worry about new albums and then when it arrives, it's great.