New Pink Floyd Album 'The Endless River'

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Bigmanpigman
Knife
Knife

Re: New Pink Floyd Album 'The endless River'

Post by Bigmanpigman »

The Gunner's Dream wrote:Well, it says right there in the article Waters isn't involved...meh. I could have assumed that anyway with it being material re-worked from the Division Bell period.

I look forward to hearing Roger's opinions on Dave and Nick using the Pink Floyd title again :twisted:

It's an interesting situation, and a sure test of whether Roger has changed his point of view, as he says he has.
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

Annoying Twit wrote:That's a picture of two dudes in need of a personal trainer.
I think it can be quite difficult to pull a svelte figure at that age!

In Dave's defense, if he is as unlucky as me, playing guitar might have left a curve in his spine ala Lumbar Lordosis which gives you a pot belly.

As for this album... I'm not sure Waters' absence is that much of a loss. As more time passes, the Floyd brand is increasingly locked into that Gilmour guitar sound. He is, after all, the voice of Pink Floyd. Sure, his lyrics are not a patch on Waters', but that would be the only loss. Waters' voice is quite harsh these days, and his bass playing is hardly unique enough to be missed. I'm looking forward to hear what this album sounds like.
hazchem
Axe
Axe

Post by hazchem »

The Gunner's Dream wrote:Well, it says right there in the article Waters isn't involved...meh. I could have assumed that anyway with it being material re-worked from the Division Bell period.

I look forward to hearing Roger's opinions on Dave and Nick using the Pink Floyd title again :twisted:

Are you reading the same articles as me?

It isn't reworked material. It's not like a remix or a reworking of actual songs and if it was then you would have a point.

It is some ideas that are left over from the '94 sessions. 'The Final Cut' used ideas they had during 'The Wall' recordings, 'The Wall' used some ideas from 'Animals'. Nobody gave their tuppence worth then about how 'The Final Cut' was just a few ideas left over from 'The Wall'. I'm not saying that it was but the similarities in the musical style are obvious more so than any other album.

Why would Waters have anything debatable to say about a new PF album?
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

hazchem wrote:Why would Waters have anything debatable to say about a new PF album?
He might want to be more involved, if the hatchet is as buried as we are lead to believe it is? He is schlepping Pink Floyd material to captive audiences around the globe, after all.
The Gunner's Dream
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by The Gunner's Dream »

hazchem wrote:
1. Are you reading the same articles as me?

2. It isn't reworked material.

3. It is some ideas that are left over from the '94 sessions.

4. Why would Waters have anything debatable to say about a new PF album?
1. Yes.
2. Yes it is.
3. Precisely. Recycling left over ideas is a form of reworking old material.
4. His past hatred of Pink Floyd going on without him perhaps? He is well known for stating that the only decent song on AMLOR was "On the turning away". Not sure of his opinions on the Division Bell.
Isntthiswherewe
Blade
Blade

Post by Isntthiswherewe »

my breakfast. wrote:
hazchem wrote:Why would Waters have anything debatable to say about a new PF album?
He might want to be more involved, if the hatchet is as buried as we are lead to believe it is? He is schlepping Pink Floyd material to captive audiences around the globe, after all.

I'd be amazed if he were involved.
Thinking it through. If Gilmour made an album with Nick it would really be a solo Gilmour album with Nick on drums just called Pink Floyd. People would moan he was just cashing in.
He could make an Album with Roger and Nick but we know that is never gonna happen. Roger is too used to having complete control now.
So option three, "The Beatles option" Did out some old recordings by a deceased member and re-work them into new songs.
mastaflatch
Knife
Knife

Post by mastaflatch »

No sure if it's legit, i won't embed the image since it could contain spoilers - it's a tracklist w/ songwriting credits.
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-xsjQ ... +river.jpg
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

I have not read the actual article, but is this "new album" basically an archival release of the 1994 Division Bell embryonic jams with new overdubs on top of them (a la last Barrett anthology?) Or completely new recordings done by Gilmour and Mason based on those 20 year old "demos"?

If the first option is the case, then I wonder if they are going to be bold enough to use material from Wright's final recording sessions too... and work them into this "new" product...

Actually the fact that Polly said that the album "is Rick Wright's swan song" strongly hints at that, doncha think? Because otherwise, why would those Divison Bell jams be considered a "swan song" when you take into account that after that Rick went on working into Broken China in 1997 and his unfinished solo album before his death?

And yeah it wouldn't hurt them to ask Waters to do a voice over or something atmospheric, a little political lyric here and there... he hehe
ultimatefloydian
Axe
Axe

Post by ultimatefloydian »

You know, for those of you saying "if this material was considered to not be good enough to be on TDB (or another album for that matter), why would it be any better 20 years later?" . Considering David's animosity to not be apart of any Floyd related project or be associated with such, it must be pretty good stuff or stuff that has the potential to be great to get him to change his mind. Because to me, David seems like a rather stubborn man, and one could only imagine age would make a man even more stubborn :lol: . I realized I paraphrased a tad with the initial quote, but I believe it can still be understood all the same. Past that, I don't think it has anything to do with "running out of spending money"--the man is obviously quite wealthy, and would most likely remain relatively wealthy for the remainder of his life. In my honest opinion, I think he might be realizing his own mortality and to the fact he might not have a lot longer to go. So why not give Floyd a formal closure? Because TDB wasn't exactly a clear cut closure. The Endless River..it sounds like a title that could represent that closure..a title of a possible concept of a path that lasts forever..something that will end, but will always continue in the hearts and minds of all of us fans. It sounds like an iconic closing title for an iconic band. All this in my own opinion of course.
The Gunner's Dream
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by The Gunner's Dream »

ultimatefloydian wrote:, I don't think it has anything to do with "running out of spending money"--the man is obviously quite wealthy, and would most likely remain relatively wealthy for the remainder of his life.
That was sarcasm on my part, of course. Even with expensive habits like yachts and race-cars, the amount Dave, Roger and Nick must earn from royalties alone must be staggering. At this juncture money just doesn't make much sense as motivation from guys who are so rich anyway. Still, tinkering with the Floyd legacy 20 years after everyone thought it had all ended is a big risk. If its great then that would be wonderful. If it sucks then it makes their past accomplishments seem less significant and cements their reputation as "dinosaur rock" along with the likes of the Rolling Stones.

We'll remain hopeful though. I'm only speculating as to possible outcomes. I'll happily eat my words if the boys have something special up their sleeve.
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

There seems to be an assumption by some people that this material was considered 'not good enough' for TDB. It could easily be that this material is as good or better than that on TDB, but didn't fit the style of that album. That would explain why even from 'The Big Spliff' beginning that they were keen that the material would see the light of day at some point. I agree with the comment that it may be that Dave & Nick are feeling their mortality, and want to get this material finished and released in case it becomes too late. I don't think they'd feel such an urgency if the material is poor. BTW: Calling this a 'swansong' might make some kind of sense even if it's not the last material that Rick worked on, if it's the last material of his that is released. Hence I don't think Polly's comment can be taken to mean that the album will contain material from Rick's unfinished solo album.

Oh, and comments by Roger fans about the album may also be amusing :) Edit: Someone's being deliberately provocative: http://www.roger-waters.com/forum/index ... s-river/p1 Edit: I've had a look through the few posts on that forum, and there are some people there whom IMHO are need of professional help. And I post that as a sad comment, I'm not poking fun at them.
mastaflatch wrote:No sure if it's legit, i won't embed the image since it could contain spoilers - it's a tracklist w/ songwriting credits.
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-xsjQ ... +river.jpg
I doubt that this is legit. Because IMHO Dave & Rick usually come up with better song titles than these.
ultimatefloydian
Axe
Axe

Post by ultimatefloydian »

The Gunner's Dream wrote:That was sarcasm on my part, of course. Even with expensive habits like yachts and race-cars, the amount Dave, Roger and Nick must earn from royalties alone must be staggering.
Of course. I kind of figured. Thought I'd just throw that out there for the hell of it though :lol: . Must be nice to have that kind of money though, huh?
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

I would guess that with the music industry supposedly shrinking, and with royalties from downloads appearing to disappear into 'the system', the amount that Dave, Nick, and Roger earn will probably have gone down considerably. Even if that's still a very large amount, people always notice a reduction in income if they have become used to being richer.

Not that I think that £££££ is the motivation behind this release, I'm just commenting on the possibility of financial motivation. I think the 'awareness of mortality' explanation is most likely to be the biggest factor.
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Damn!t »

AFG missed the chance to be THE FIRST! OMG!!!

Ahahahahahahaaaa....
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

But AFG has the chance to be the first to announce that all the members of One Direction will be guesting on the new album.

Edit: The comments on The Guardian's site are more argumentative than what we have here:

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/j ... less-river
So Roger Waters isn't involved, then?

Anuranonanist Monkeybus
07 July 2014 2:30pm

Recommend
It seems not, but I bet he's wearing one of those things gum-shields that they give to people who grind their teeth hard enough to damage them, as he sits in his self-made dungeon making sculptures out of bile...