Baritone Telecaster

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Es Vedra
Axe
Axe

Baritone Telecaster

Post by Es Vedra »

I see that David used a Fender Telecaster Baritone on The Endless River. As far as I know this is the first time a baritone guitar appears on a Pink Floyd album.

I have been trying to work out which track or tracks this guitar is on. Allons Y has a definite Tele sound, but does anybody know where the Tele Baritone was used.
mastaflatch
Knife
Knife

Re: Baritone Telecaster

Post by mastaflatch »

I'd put my money on Eyes to Pearls.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

https://www.christies.com/lotfinder/lot ... crumb=back

This guitar was custom-made for David Gilmour by Fender Custom Shop in 2010 and kept primarily for studio use. A baritone guitar incorporates a longer scale length than a normal guitar and is tuned either in a perfect 4th (B, E, A, D, F#, B) or perfect 5th lower (A, D, G, C, E, A) than a standard guitar tuning. This allows for deeper voicing than typically heard with guitar performance. Gilmour’s guitar technician Phil Taylor liaised with Fender to build a baritone on a shorter scale than his 1963 Fender Bass VI (lot 30). The resulting guitar has a 27-inch scale, placing it between an electric and bass guitar in terms of size. It was further modified with a Vibramate String Spoiler and custom baritone pickups, and the electronics replaced with Callaham Cryo electronics.
At the suggestion of album co-producer Youth, Gilmour used the baritone guitar during recording of Pink Floyd’s fifteenth studio album The Endless River, notably on the track It’s What We Do. Material from the 1993 recording sessions for The Division Bell was revisited and reworked with 21st Century digital technology and supplemented with new material recorded between 2013 and 2014 at Gilmour’s Astoria houseboat studio. Released in November 2014 as a tribute to keyboardist Richard Wright, who had passed away in 2008, the predominantly instrumental album debuted at number one in the UK, France, Germany, Portugal, Ireland, the Netherlands, Belgium, New Zealand, and Canada.
The guitar was subsequently enlisted for performances of Run Like Hell during Gilmour’s Rattle That Lock Tour from 12th September 2015, played by longtime Pink Floyd collaborator Jon Carin during the first three legs of the tour and thereafter by Chester Kamen for the final two legs through to 30th September 2016.
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc »

^^^
Excellent answer

Interesting to note, Price realised was USD 68,750, whereas the Estimate was USD 2,000 to USD 3,000

PS, congratulations on the 1,000-th post
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Thanks! Many of the items went for 20 to 50 times more than Christie's estimates. The real shocker was the Jedson lap steel - $300,000 (estimate was $1,000 to $2,000); as much as I love Gilmour's lap steel playing, those things are possibly the worst lap steels I've ever played. I've had a few, usually paying around $200 for them, and even if you replaced all of the hardware and electronics, they still wouldn't sound as good as a Fender Stringmaster (which he replaced that one with in 1994). It's interesting that he kept the red one (and didn't just get a double-neck Stringmaster).

The best part is the story that goes along with the cream Jedson:

During the mid 1980s Gilmour utilized the guitar for a very different purpose when he found himself locked in his guitar room late one night. The door handle broke, Gilmour recalled, and I was trapped in there. "This is long before there were mobile phones - there was no way of getting out, so I took the leg off that guitar and… had to hack my way through the door to get out. The evidence is still there on the leg of that Jedson." Although the leg was subsequently straightened out, it remains dented and slightly warped to tell the tale.
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

I remember reading that about it's what we do. anyone can chime in? from what I recall, it's all very high and bendy notes, so kind of missing the point to use a baritone guitar? any distinctive parts of the song that would not be possible with a regular guitar?
I guess I saw it live on tour as per those dates mentioned there... fun fact.