2. Animals
1. Obscured by Clouds

:?
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: Top 5 Underrated Pink Floyd Albums / Article & Podcast

Post by Hudini »

If anything, 'Meddle' is overrated. Two and a half great songs don't make a great album, even if one of those is 24 minutes long.
MC Krispy E
Embryo
Embryo

Post by MC Krispy E »

IMO, only Seamus isn't great. I love the rest, including and especially San Tropez , even though it's not typical Floyd. Great music, lyrics, and melody.
jambo
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by jambo »

Definitely agree that Animals and OBC are underrated, but not sure about Meddle.

Maybe with mainstream or non-super fans, but most Floydians adore Meddle.

Having said that, Animals is also a big hit amongst the hardcore fans.
flippikat
Axe
Axe

Post by flippikat »

Saucerful is certainly under-rated - and that chaotic late 1967 through to late 1968 era deserves a reappraisal.

If you set-aside the title track (which frankly is far better live - especially the last section), there's some great psychedelic pop there.

Then, consider the other recordings from those sessions - Apples & Oranges, Paintbox, Julia Dream etc - and the two infamous unreleased Syd songs.. the snippets I've heard from the Committee soundtrack are cool too.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

Sorry for the fans of "More" but I just can't get into it. There's a good few tracks on it. But some of the instrumentals are a bit ropey.
:oops:
MoreOrLess
Blade
Blade

Post by MoreOrLess »

Jimi Dean Barrett wrote:Sorry for the fans of "More" but I just can't get into it. There's a good few tracks on it. But some of the instrumentals are a bit ropey.
:oops:
I would definitely agree that More is rather uneven, the best material like Cirrus Minor, Green is the Colour, Cymbeline and the two Themes from More is excellent but a lot of the rest is passable but not nearly so memorable. I would guess that's down to the nature of the album, it was recorded very quickly and the better material was mostly stuff the band likely already had worked out(some of it from the Man/Journey shows) whilst the less effective stuff was produced on the fly.

Its certainly the least known Floyd album though so might well deserve the title of most underrated for the parts that are excellent.
brell
Blade
Blade

Post by brell »

twcc wrote:An interesting list -

5. A Saucerful of Secrets
4. More
3. Meddle
2. Animals
1. Obscured by Clouds

:?
Here are some reasons I have heard or read about why these albums are underrated:

The die-hard Barrett fans simply didn't get ASoS. I met one in London many years ago and he said he more or less quit listening to PF after Barrett left the group. Another Barrett fan said that the only song on ASoS that was worth listening to was Jugband Blues.

More was not a mainstream PF record if I may put it that way, and neither was ObC. The latter also fell into the shadows of the next years hit record, which some people say that also happened to Meddle.

Animals is very different from the records before it. The music is rawer and clearly Waters is taking the band over which was not accepted by many fans.
Follix
Knife
Knife

Post by Follix »

I don't know about the 4 other ones but outside of the prog and Pink Floyd fans world, Animals has to be #1 on this list.