Pink Floyd '1965' double 7" Black Friday 2015

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Pink Floyd '1965' double 7" Black Friday 2015

Post by Hadrian »

Personally I don't care too much about the band name variants, but lineups are important. For me, it is not really Pink Floyd yet until Syd, Roger, Rick and Nick become a stable quartet. That only happens in the autumn of 1965.
brell
Blade
Blade

Post by brell »

Please note that Gilmour, Waters and Wright all read through Mason's manuscript of "Inside Out". I find it hard to believe that both Waters and Wright failed to comment on Mason's memory if it was indeed incorrect that those songs were recorded in December 1964.

The date of 12. October 1965 is interesting because it means that the name change from Tea Set to The Pink Floyd Sound was earlier that autumn. Does anybody know the date when they played as Tea Set at the gig in Northolt and had to change name because there was another band with the same name? Also, at the Countdown club gig in 12. October, was the name The Pink Floyd Sound or just Pink Floyd?

Regarding lineups: Of course the first PF lineup was only after Bob Klose had left the band but all songs recorded between December 1964 and autumn 1965 are still considered PF songs.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

brell wrote:Also, at the Countdown club gig in 12. October, was the name The Pink Floyd Sound or just Pink Floyd?
Did they not drop "The" later sometime in '66?
mastaflatch
Knife
Knife

Post by mastaflatch »

IIRC, Music From the Film More is credited to The Pink Floyd.
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

October 12, 1965 was the date of the very first concert they gave as a four piece (Syd, Roger, Rick and Nick), that is its significance. I could not find a reference to the exact band name they were billed under, unfortunately. It would be fantastic to get a set list from that concert (were they playing numbers from this release?).
grandegi
Embryo
Embryo

Post by grandegi »

Hadrian wrote:October 12, 1965 was the date of the very first concert they gave as a four piece (Syd, Roger, Rick and Nick), that is its significance. I could not find a reference to the exact band name they were billed under, unfortunately. It would be fantastic to get a set list from that concert (were they playing numbers from this release?).
As far as http://floydweb.co.uk is a reliable website, the band name was Tea Set. In late 1965, after their first appearance as a four piece, "the group was booked for a gig with another band with the same name, Tea Set. To avoid confusion, Syd Barrett came up with a new name for the band, The Pink Floyd Sound"
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

The latest Neptune Pink Floyd Newsletter (02-12-2015) doesn't mention this release at all.
These are the only two items:
- David Gilmour - 5 new tours dates added!
- An Inexpensive and Great Value Christmas Present for Pink Floyd and Genesis Fans

Also, no information on the Neptune news page:
http://www.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk/categ ... ews-latest

Why is the release of 'Pink Floyd 1965' ignored this way, as if it doesn't exist?
Are Gilmour's tour and (again) advertisting for a Knebworth set, really more important? :shock:
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Even the official band website took several days to publish the news.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I had missed this completely, time to post a news story. 8)
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

News coverage is now appearing regarding this release, here is the Rolling Stone article.
mastaflatch
Knife
Knife

Post by mastaflatch »

This is totally awesome. Gotta say that I love this kind of music to begin with but to have it bettered by Syd is fantastic and unexpected. Although I knew about Lucy Leave and King Bee for a while, the 4 "new" songs bring new scope to the band's blooming talent. Butterfly might well be my favorite of the bunch by there's honestly no clunker here. Roger Waters was also better than I thought at songwriting then. He said numerous time in interviews that he had to become a songwriter when Syd left but he obviously didn't start from scratch in 1968. A really nice batch of new/old music to have indeed!
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Shame there is only a thousand of them to preserve copyright over the recordings! I hope it goes into full scale production. 8)
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Hadrian wrote:The interior of the gatefold sleeve is spectacular.
henno

Post by henno »

ive had "lucy leave" and "im a king bee" on a bootleg cassette from years ago...
looking for ward to hearing them all new and polished up, with those others.

im sure they will appear somewhere