Pink Floyd Legacy

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Which One Is Which
Embryo
Embryo

Pink Floyd Legacy

Post by Which One Is Which »

With the band now officially over,how does the Pink Floyd machine go forward?

What I mean by this is are there any bands that are of the same genre of Pink Floyd,who can grasp the musical baton and run with it with distinction?

My assumption is that if there had been anyone out there with any talent that came close to Floyd,although this is an impossibility,we certainly would have heard from them.

If there are some up and coming talents,please post them.And please,as long as it isn't anything along the lines of Tangerine Dream,don't make me nod off.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Re: Pink Floyd Legacy

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

There's probably a few new bands who worship and want to be Prog, but I can't see them getting anywhere near the coverage or success Pink Floyd had. I can't think of any off the top of my head however.
Or maybe Pink Floyd really were one in a million (bands).
Bigmanpigman
Knife
Knife

Post by Bigmanpigman »

I would say the reason Pink Floyd grabbed my attention in the first place was because there was something pretty unique about them, and a kind of aura surrounding them. For a while in those early years I used to search around for other bands that might just possess that kind of magic, and you know what? There weren't any, and as far as I can tell that position hasn't changed. Pink Floyd were a complete one-off.
jtull
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by jtull »

Pink Floyd is a pretty unique band, so it's going to be hard to find a similar band, with a similar musical output. There are, however, plenty of bands that have been influenced by the Pink Floyd sound and atmospherics, and may at times, sound similar in certain musical passages. Most bands that have this influence fall under the "Progressive Rock" category or genre. Some of these are Porcupine Tree, The Flaming Lips and Marillion. Also, Alan Parson Project comes pretty close. This isn't really surprising since Alan Parson was the sound engineer for The dark side of the moon.
Sentience
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Sentience »

^ I can second Porcupine Tree as a good Floydian band.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

I started a thread about them in General Music Thread, but I seriously think MGMT could be as great as Pink Floyd.
It doesn't help that MTV whenever they show them play always their first album. But I feel their albums "Congratulations" and "MGMT" are Floyd, but modernised. No Mellotron sounds.
Consider their second album song "It's Working". On top of sounding like it could of been written by any of Barrett's Beat Group contemporaries, there's a really gorgeous bit a couple of minutes in that elevates the song beyond imitators.
And best news is, on Twitter MGMT said they are back in the studio and to keep a level of excitement for a couple of months.

This might not be exactly what you had in mind for Pink Floyd successors, but they do for me!

https://youtu.be/JyaDTiXH3R4
MoreOrLess
Blade
Blade

Post by MoreOrLess »

It has actually always been surprising considering how successful Floyd's "glory" years in the mid 70's were that relatively few bands has followed them directly. Partly I spose because that era was just before punk and the new wave hit but also I'd say because revivalism of the era has tended to be more focused on symphonic prog(Yes, ELP, Genesis, etc) that Floyd never really were(well maybe a little but earlier in in their career).

The big legacy of the band for me in terms of influence was actually the mid period(well and the similar material from the Syd era) that I think had a massive influence on krautrock, probably the most Floyd like band there was Popul Vuh.

Popol Vuh - Einsjäger & Siebenjäger

Popul Vuh - Hosianna Mantra
jtull
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by jtull »

I just listened this album and it remainds me a lot of Mike Oldfield music. :? Specially Mike's albums Hergest Ridge and Incantations.
MoreOrLess
Blade
Blade

Post by MoreOrLess »

jtull wrote:
I just listened this album and it remainds me a lot of Mike Oldfield music. :? Specially Mike's albums Hergest Ridge and Incantations.
Florian Flinkle was a bit of a German Oldfield I'd agree in terms of religious/mysical influences although I think the band had more of a Floyd like edge to them as well, Morgengruß could have come off of Meddle or More very easily for example

One of there earlier tracks obviously inspired by Saucerful...

Popul Vuh - Vuh

I could very much imagine Floyd playing this track by Neu...

Neu - Seeland
Phantom Turnip
Axe
Axe

Post by Phantom Turnip »

MoreOrLess wrote: One of there earlier tracks obviously inspired by Saucerful...

Popul Vuh - Vuh
I've never heard this song before, I love it! And while it does sound like it's pretty inspired by ASoS, does anyone else also hear the resemblance between the beginning of "Vuh" and the arrangement used on "Autumn '68"? \:D/
jtull
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by jtull »

Phantom Turnip wrote: does anyone else also hear the resemblance between the beginning of "Vuh" and the arrangement used on "Autumn '68"? \:D/
You are right, it's pretty similar to the "Autumn '68".
MoreOrLess
Blade
Blade

Post by MoreOrLess »

Even more similar to Saucerful is...

Tangerine Dream - Fly and Collision of Comas Sola

Again I would say that mid period pre Darkside Floyd actually had a much larger influence of modern music than the more successful late period, either directly or though krautrock. I think that link makes Floyds place in the evolution of rock make much more sense that trying to lump them in with Yes, Gensis, ELP, etc that were much more of an evolutionary dead end.
jtull
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by jtull »

Pre Darkside period was much more experimental and adventurous then post Darkside perod. Just listen to this and compare it with more "mainstream" songs such "Us And Them", "Wish You Were Here", "Another Brick in the Wall (Part II)" etc...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wOP6gDibvA

Interestingly, a members of the Pink Floyd often dismiss this period(Ummagumma, Atom Heart Mother..) as 'dreadful', although it had such a huge influence on the music.
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

Sentience wrote:^ I can second Porcupine Tree as a good Floydian band.
I think that Steven Wilson's recent solo albums are Floydian in some ways. Extended songs mixed with shorter songs. Melodic sections balanced by heavier sections. E.g. Hand Cannot Erase.

However for both PT and Steven Wilson, while there is influence there, both his voice and also Wilson's melodic sense are very different from PF songs. Hence, they come out sounding very different, and I don't think anyone could mistake Steven Wilson songs for any combination of Roger/Dave/Rick/Nick.

It's quality music alright, but there are other bands that sound even closer. I hear touches of Who, touches of Coldplay in places, Heavy Metal touches, and other influences including PF. But, overall, it has similarities to Floyd, but enough differences for it to sound quite different.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Annoying Twit wrote:I think that Steven Wilson's recent solo albums are Floydian in some ways. Extended songs mixed with shorter songs. Melodic sections balanced by heavier sections. E.g. Hand Cannot Erase.

However for both PT and Steven Wilson, while there is influence there, both his voice and also Wilson's melodic sense are very different from PF songs. Hence, they come out sounding very different, and I don't think anyone could mistake Steven Wilson songs for any combination of Roger/Dave/Rick/Nick.

It's quality music alright, but there are other bands that sound even closer. I hear touches of Who, touches of Coldplay in places, Heavy Metal touches, and other influences including PF. But, overall, it has similarities to Floyd, but enough differences for it to sound quite different.
I completely agree with this.

When it comes to Steven Wilson, it is obvious that he is a fan on numerous different genres and likes to show it in his own music, however you can hardly pinpoint a certain Steven Wilson/Porcupine Tree song and call it a ripoff. Even the infamous 'Time Flies' (which I remember a lot of people called "a carbon-copy" of Pink Floyd's 'Dogs' at the time of its release) is a deliberate tribute rather than plagiarism.

There's more tracks by both PT and Wilson solo that fans can identify as Floyd-influenced but would otherwise sound unrelated to a casual listener, per instance 'Regret #9' from 'Hand Cannot Erase' which (obviously for PF fans) borrows its structure from 'Any Colour You Like' but otherwise sounds completely different. Examples of "Floydian" atmosphere in PT songs which doesn't hint at any particular PF song are more common though.