Songs without Mason on drums

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Songs without Mason on drums

Post by raisemyrent »

So there's a few oddities out there. Songs where Mason didn't play drums, for some reason. Thought of starting a list. To my knowledge:
- Mother - time signatures too complicated - Jeff Porcaro
- Two Suns in the Sunset - time signatures - Jeff Porcaro
- On the Turning Away - busy with production - Jim Keltner?
- Sorrow - it was the 80s - drum machine

Also, did Mason play drums on the Mother re-record for the movie? If I had time I'd check it out; there's a telling use of the ride to determine if it's Porcaro, but I thought that since they redid it, he sat down and figured it out.
I think there are some more songs from AMLOR.
YetAnother
Axe
Axe

Re: Songs without Mason on drums

Post by YetAnother »

Dogs of War. I read somewhere that the drummer asked Mason, who was there, why he didn't do it himself. I don't think Mason did much drumming at all on a momentary lapse of reason.

On the momentary lapse tour, Gilmour said Mason did play all the songs in the end. Which means he didn't in the beginning.

Also the rerecording of Money on the collection of great dancesongs had Gilmour on drums.
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

'Remember a Day' (1968) has drums by Norman Smith.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remember_a_Day

Maybe there are two drummers? Smith and Mason?
I guess the drums sound busy for one drummer.
AtomHeartBrother
Axe
Axe

Post by AtomHeartBrother »

raisemyrent wrote:Also, did Mason play drums on the Mother re-record for the movie? If I had time I'd check it out; there's a telling use of the ride to determine if it's Porcaro, but I thought that since they redid it, he sat down and figured it out.
I'd always thought that the movie version was mostly rerecorded by a nameless Pinewood Studios orchestra which was arranged and conducted by Michael Kamen. The mid-section with David Gilmour's guitar solo was edited in straight from The Wall master tapes. As far as I know, Mason did not play on either version.
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

They might have redone it with the original tapes and parts. Edit: drums are only on the solo part and definitely identical to the album (no Mason)

Terminal frost is definitely not Mason too.
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

David plays the drums on the studio version of Sorrow
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

Correct. I had that one. I believe I read it was a drum machine and it sounds like it too.
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

Granchester Meadows. Several Species. Goodbye Cruel World. Goodbye Blue Sky. Is there Anybody Our There? (it does contain what sounds like very soft military type snare rolls, doubt it's Mason). Seamus.
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

Stop!

(I mean the song.) :P
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

Mason said at the end of his book (2003) that rerecording drumming on A Momentary Lapse of Reason is one of the future projects he would like to see materialize (not playing much there is most likely why).

The other project was a live unplugged album with completely new take on some of the old classics, but Gilmour sort of did that on his own with his live videos (for example with "Shine On", and partial "Echoes").

The third project mentioned was "The Big Spliff", which mutated into The Endless River .
Chaim
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Chaim »

I think Nick meant See-Saw when he wrote about Norman Smith playing drums in Remember A Day in his book. Later in an interview he told the same story, but the song title he mentioned was See-Saw. Also, in the book Nick says that the song wasn't their "usual pounding style" or something like that, which fits See-Saw better than Remember A Day.
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc »

Chaim wrote:I think Nick meant See-Saw when he wrote about Norman Smith playing drums in Remember A Day in his book. Later in an interview he told the same story, but the song title he mentioned was See-Saw. Also, in the book Nick says that the song wasn't their "usual pounding style" or something like that, which fits See-Saw better than Remember A Day.
The Mortal Remains exhibition and catalogue lists associated musicians; Norman Smith obviously gets a mention. It is interesting to note that the details against Norman Smith include drums on 'Remember A Day' on Saucer, plus 'Sysyphus' on Ummagumma ... there is no mention of his involvement on See-Saw.
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc »

raisemyrent wrote:So there's a few oddities out there. Songs where Mason didn't play drums, for some reason. Thought of starting a list. To my knowledge:
- Mother - time signatures too complicated - Jeff Porcaro
- Two Suns in the Sunset - time signatures - Jeff Porcaro
- On the Turning Away - busy with production - Jim Keltner?
- Sorrow - it was the 80s - drum machine

Also, did Mason play drums on the Mother re-record for the movie? If I had time I'd check it out; there's a telling use of the ride to determine if it's Porcaro, but I thought that since they redid it, he sat down and figured it out.
I think there are some more songs from AMLOR.
The Mortal Remains tries to deal with this, here are details from the catalogue -

Carmine Appice - drums on 'Dogs of War'
Ray Cooper - percussion on 'The Final Cut'
Steve Forman - percussion on 'A Momentary Lapse of Reason'
Jim Keltner - drums on 'A Momentary Lapse of Reason'
Andy Newmark - drums on 'Two Suns in the Sunset'
Jeff Porcaro - drums on 'Mother'
Joe Porcaro - snare on 'Bring the Boys Back Home'
Norman Smith - drums on 'Remember A Day' and on 'Sysyphus'
Gary Wallis - percussion on the 'A Momentary Lapse of Reason' and 'Division Bell' tours
John 'Willie' Wilson - drums on the 'Wall' tour 1980/81

:)
Chaim
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Chaim »

twcc wrote:
Chaim wrote:I think Nick meant See-Saw when he wrote about Norman Smith playing drums in Remember A Day in his book. Later in an interview he told the same story, but the song title he mentioned was See-Saw. Also, in the book Nick says that the song wasn't their "usual pounding style" or something like that, which fits See-Saw better than Remember A Day.
The Mortal Remains exhibition and catalogue lists associated musicians; Norman Smith obviously gets a mention. It is interesting to note that the details against Norman Smith include drums on 'Remember A Day' on Saucer, plus 'Sysyphus' on Ummagumma ... there is no mention of his involvement on See-Saw.
That is interesting. I don't have the interview with Nick. It was a physical magazine, but it could be online. Anyway, I clearly remember that Nick's story was the same, but the song was now See-Saw. I remember thinking, 'Well, that makes more since with the 'not our usual pounding style' thing".
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

The drumming style of 'Remember a Day' is very different from Pink Floyd's usual style.
And I think it's a style that might be too difficult for Mason.
Also, I seem to hear two drummers. The drumming is rather busy.

I'd say that Mason might wish he could drum as good as on 'Remember a Day'.

'See-Saw' barely has drums, has it?