What would a tour supporting The Final Cut have been like?

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Re: What would a tour supporting The Final Cut have been like?

Post by space triangle »

:-;

DarkSideFreak
Knife
Knife

Post by DarkSideFreak »

Nice mock-up but "dessert" :lol:
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

David Gilmour - Musical Director :lol:

Your second set is not very imaginative. Songs from the radio. And what's the point of Pigs On The Wing?
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

Kerry King wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:48 am Your second set is not very imaginative. Songs from the radio.

Well, I'm not sure everyone would have wanted to hear "Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict" live in the year of 1983. :lol:

Kerry King wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:48 am And what's the point of Pigs On The Wing?
"Dogs","Pigs (Three Different Ones)" or "Sheep" would be far too long for the post-punk new wave radio-friendly standard of a songs which was common in the 1983. :D
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

space triangle wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:35 am And what's the point of Pigs On The Wing?

"Dogs","Pigs (Three Different Ones)" or "Sheep" would be far too long for the post-punk new wave radio-friendly standard of a songs which was common in the 1983
Okay, but the final cut album is not in tune with those standards either.
space triangle wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:35 am I'm not sure everyone would have wanted to hear "Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict" live in the year of 1983
Or the year 1969 for that matter.
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

Kerry King wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:37 pmOkay, but the final cut album is not in tune with those standards either.
You're right for the Final Cut album. That's why I balanced 'the show' with the second half of the radio-friendly Pink Floyd songs. I could also put in Summer '68 and San Tropez, but the guys never played those songs live.

Imagine if the second set of the songs were instead:

Goodbye Blue Sky
Careful With That Axe, Eugene
Crying Song
Goodbye Cruel World
Sysyphus I-IV
Nobody Home
Quicksilver
Don't Leave Me Now

It wouldn't be very healthy, imo. :)
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

Roger would have wanted to play the album in full if they had toured it i expect

1st set
Final Cut Album

2nd set

In The Flesh
Brick 1
Happiest Day of Lifes
Brick P2
Mother
One Of These Days
Shine On
Money
Us and Them
Time
Wish You Were Here
Welcome To The Machine
Run Like Hell
Brain Damage
Eclipse

encore
Set the Controls For The Heart Of The Sun
Comfortably Numb
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

I would like to see Rog going on the tour playing:

1st set
Final Cut Album

2st set
Amused to Death Album

None of these two albums have ever been played in its entirety.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

space triangle wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:54 pm I would like to see Rog going on the tour playing:

1st set
Final Cut Album

2st set
Amused to Death Album

None of these two albums have ever been played in its entirety.
I second that motion! It's really the only thing he could do at this point that I would pay to see, but I'd expect his usual mime routine on "Fletcher Memorial Home" and "Perfect Sense, Part 2".
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by theaussiefloydian »

space triangle wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:23 pm :-;

This feels right. It has the Final Cut album, and a lot of the Floyd songs Waters is prone to playing on his solo tours.
space triangle wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:44 am I could also put in Summer '68 and San Tropez, but the guys never played those songs live.
I feel like playing "Summer '68" after the circumstances under which Wright left the band would have been a direct slap in the face to Rick.
The Gunner's Dream
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by The Gunner's Dream »

That set has some of the most demanding Waters vocal lines he ever recorded. Between The Gunner's Dream, Fletcher Memorial Home, Two Suns in the Sunset, and Hey You, Waters wouldn't have made it half way through the 2nd set before his voice was shot for the night.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by theaussiefloydian »

The Gunner's Dream wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:13 pm That set has some of the most demanding Waters vocal lines he ever recorded. Between The Gunner's Dream, Fletcher Memorial Home, Two Suns in the Sunset, and Hey You, Waters wouldn't have made it half way through the 2nd set before his voice was shot for the night.
The second set is pretty Gilmour-heavy in terms of who did the vocals in studio though so I think it would be OK.
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

See also the hilarious topic 'The Final Cut Tour', reporting the discovery of a box full of 1983-1984 tour programmes...
Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:55 pm, drafsack wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:55 pmThe programme looks like the original Wall programme, with the albums lyrics over the stills from the album. There are also stills from 'The Final Cut' video E.P. together with some extra ones, which I recon are from films that were to be shown during the concert. There are also pictures of fields of poppies from Roger Waters' Pro’s and Cons tour.
What is most interesting is the rehearsal photos. These show the band playing on a stage surrounded by barbed wire fences, poppies and sandbags. In the background of some photo’s you make out inflatable models of battleships, missiles and a film can and Mark Fisher and Jonathan Park are credited with the show design.

The set list in the middle of the programme shows the first half of the show was to be The Final Cut in its entirety and the second half was to consist of
Another Brick pt 2, Mother, Hey you, Wish You Were Here, Have a Cigar, Time, Us and Them, Money, One of these days, Set the controls, Careful with that axe Eugene and Astronomy Domine'

The musicians listed as playing were Roger, David and Nick with Andy Bown and Bob Ezrin on keyboards, Snowy White on guitar Andy Newark on drums and Mel Collins on sax. On backing vocals there were Doris Troy,
Leslie Duncan, Liza Strike and Barry St. John with Clare Torry listed as 'Special guest vocalist'.

The tour dates were also quite extensive. It started with 5 nights at Earls Court between the 5th and 9th of November, followed by 5 nights at Birmingham NEC from the 12th, 5 nights at the SECC in Glasgow from the 20th and then 5 nights at the Edinburgh Playhouse from the 27th of November. After a break for Christmas the tour kicks off again on January 4th with 5 nights at the Manchester Apollo, 2 more nights at Birmingham on the 13th and 14th of January and 5 nights in St. Austell Coliseum from the 20th. The tour finished with another 5 nights at Earls Court from the 30th of January.
Barbed wire fences and inflatable models of battleships... :lol:
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

If any of you are following Jon Carin on Facebook, there was a discussion about The Final Cut last year. Someone suggested that a special one-off performance of the whole album by Roger Waters, for an audio and video release, aimed for 2023 (the 40th anniversary of the affair) would be marvellous. The response was "I will whisper in his ear". Why not? \:D/ Fingers crossed.
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

Here are my thoughts what the tour would have been like:
  • It would be a short tour, probably confined within 1983 itself, certainly with less than 50 shows in total
  • Three-men Pink Floyd would perform it (no Richard Wright hiring), with the usual amount of stage help
  • First set would be The Final Cut album, second set and encore, Old Pink (i.e. The Best Of)
  • Second set and encore would see heavy bias towards Roger Waters' stuff, The Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking Tour set lists are here the best indicators (return of "If" and "Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun")
  • Backdrop projections for the album set would see Falklands War ships and plains, and some original stuff as per The Final Cut Video EP
  • Backdrop projections for the second set and encore would see more traditional things, old films made for stage included
  • The tour would have been filmed, with a video release either at that time or later