Nick Mason to perform early Pink Floyd with new band

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Nick Mason to perform early Pink Floyd with new band

Post by Hadrian »

Nick Mason's concert activity is likely inspired by the freshly announced Unattended Luggage box set.
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

raisemyrent wrote:Thanks for the reply. I don’t mind the music being reinterpreted and living on through different people. And I’m certainly not being a purist in that only Gilmour should sing floyd. I’m specifically referring to the out of tune singing which is pretty constant and dare I say unprofessional. Sometimes you need a professional vocalist.
For what it's worth, I agree 100% with you about the singing. I really wanted to like the videos that have been shared online but the only one I've enjoyed is the "One of These Days". That was probably because it's an instrumental. I really like the idea of someone from Pink Floyd revisiting that early part of the band's career and playing those songs live again. I've no strong feelings one way or the other about the band Nick has assembled to play the songs. I just wish they'd taken it a step further and recruited a competent vocalist. Nick and the others in his band have decades of experience in the music business under their belts. Surely between the lot of them, they'd know someone semi-famous they could've asked to do those dates and sing in tune. I can't help but think there's a bit of the "Emperor's new clothes" going on here and that people are turning a blind eye to the deficiencies in these performances because it's Nick who's behind the project.
Vlad The Impaler
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Vlad The Impaler »

Agreed. Really wanted to enjoy the old stuff along with Nick but...felt let down.
Nicholas
Axe
Axe

Post by Nicholas »

I think what he's doing is absolutely abysmal. I'm shocked at how bad it is. Even Syd at his worst was better than this.
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

If you want a chuckle, have a listen to this interview with Nick on BBC Radio 2

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p06bsnjt
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc »

^^^
There's a slightly longer version which confirms early Pink Floyd material not Nick Mason solo material on the forthcoming tour -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0b6ph67

You'll have to navigate to 2h 13m 38s for the first part, and then skip/listen to a Simple Minds track and then there's a bit more at 2h 21m 14s ... :)
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

I think it's a cool thing to do.

The lead vocals do sound bar-band-like, but I don't think Nick is aiming for professionalism. Just a bunch of friends having fun I think.

It'd never happen of course (for complex reasons) but how would it work if Andy Partridge joined as lead vocalist focussing on Barrett songs?
RobertWilson
Embryo
Embryo

Post by RobertWilson »

hope a good one
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

Why not just ENJOY it for what it is.
Vlad The Impaler
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Vlad The Impaler »

Tried. Failed.
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

it's not like we can actually go to these shows either. they're small and it's a limited tour, though I hear that might be changing.
I'd enjoy seeing Mason live as I never have and he is the only member left that I haven't seen (I was so hoping for a guest at the last RAH Gilmour date). I personally don't really like early Floyd save for a few exceptions. I think they missed the feel of obscured by clouds, for instance, but I loved the little phatty solo (I have one of those lol). green is the colour was atrocious. one of these days without gilmour, just don't do it. Roger's version is crap too. The guitar players are good. Guy pratt enough said. a good chance to hear some floyd you'll never hear, with 1 member around. pulling his weight, as opposed to any Roger show. just the singing basically is like poop hitting a fan next to a fresh painting.