RIAA best selling albums of all time

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

RIAA best selling albums of all time

Post by twcc »

The Eagles dislodge Michael Jackson and Pink Floyd are at No.6 with The Wall ... ](*,)

https://www.riaa.com/gold-platinum/?tab ... ch_section

I find it staggering that the best selling album by The Beatles, in the USA, is 'The Beatles' ie the white album !
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Re: RIAA best selling albums of all time

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

And thanks to the shenanigans done to disrupt the chart history of DSOTM ("Ah, those were on Harvest! Now it's just come out on Rhino!") that album comes runner up. But we know the truth dammit!!
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

RIAA counts a single sale of a double album as two sales (The Beatles, The Wall) because there are two records in the package
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by theaussiefloydian »

Hadrian wrote:RIAA counts a single sale of a double album as two sales (The Beatles, The Wall) because there are two records in the package
That seems like a stupid rule to me. Shouldn't they count by sale instead so that even a double album is only counted once?
And if we're rolling with that logic, wouldn't that mean that George Harrison's All Things Must Pass would be counted three times?
moodyblue
Hammer
Hammer

Post by moodyblue »

And those basterd Eagles are charging over £230 a ticket for their European shows in the UK for the best seats let alone the corporate nonsense. The rich do indeed continue to get richer, fabulously richer whilst those of us mere mortals struggle get fleeced for our entertainment.
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

I believe that triple albums are counted as three sales each time, yes
nonesuch
Embryo
Embryo

Post by nonesuch »

What a load of crap records people have bought over the past decades! Having said that, at least people showed some interest in music way back then. But I still don't get what people get out of Eagles-records. Maybe you'd have to snort cocaine to get into the thrill of enjoying the boredom that those guys distributed. Or you would have to be American. Or both. Or be a cocaine-addict and then become an American. I suspect that it will be much easier to become a permanent citizen of that great country if you are a cocaine-addict. How else could one bare a country that elects a crook as president? The lunatic may have been on the grass, but now he's in the White House. Probably listening to Eagles-records or to Celine Dion or to Michael Jackson, imitating the Moonwalk while schmoozing with Kanye West, who is certainly thinking about running for president himself. Coming back to the point of this thread: The RIAA is one thing. How about sales-statistics of certain pills, especially psychotropic drugs in the USA? Would it be surprising if sales of certain psychotropic drugs match the sales records of the Eagles's Greatest Hits? Are there gold- and platinum-awards for certain pills? Are there any paranoids reading this? I bet you know what I am talking about. I read somewhere that the bestselling album of all time in the UK is Queen's Greatest Hits. Fits the pomposity of most english minds, I guess. Or does it show a liberal point of view of those people who voted the right wing Tory-assholes into power? Queen, at least, had one gay member. But he was on the Thatcher-side as well, as they say. The big questions is thus: Can people handle freedom or can't we? Do we need to be told what to do to feel the need to live in defiance of those rules? Are The Eagles playing along those rules? I haven't got a clue. But there must be an explanation why The Wall didn't sell as many copies as The Eagles. Then again, does it really matter?
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

There are a good few albums in that list I have never heard of! Might have to give them a listen, see what I've been missing.