When did you discover Pink Floyd and what are some of your favourite memories of the band?

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
space triangle
Knife
Knife

Re: When did you discover Pink Floyd and what are some of your favourite memories of the band?

Post by space triangle »

I discovered Pink Floyd when I was 16-17 years old. I never forget that night(or early morning). :)

At the time, as a teenager I was a heavy into Ramones, Sex Pistols and New Wave - Talking Heads, The Cure, The Smiths....and such bands.

One night it was a party at my friend's house. A lot of beer and cigarettes. And of course, the music of the above-mentioned groups was constantly spinning on the turntable. Well. about 3-4 o'clock in the morning, some other friends came to the party too. One of them carried an LP under his armpit. Without saying much, he removed the record from the cover and put it on the turntable.

Well, the music that began to come out of from the speakers was totally different from the Ramones, Sex Pistols. Talking Heads or any other band we used to like at the time. We all sat pretty sleepy and listened to the LP in silence. We were all like hypnotized all of a sudden.

And, it was the beginning of Shine On Crazy Diamond vi all heard for the very first time., and the LP was off course 'Wish You Were Here'

We were many who were musically speaking saved that night. Suffice ito say, from the next day i went on a feverish quest to collect all of the Pink Floyd albums.

Calva
Embryo
Embryo

Re: When did you discover Pink Floyd and what are some of your favourite memories of the band?

Post by Calva »

I had heard the big hits like Wish You Were Here and Another Brick In The Wall but didn't really listen to them. I've just turned 19 and started listening to them a few months ago. The first of their lesser-known songs I heard was Let There Be More Light and it intrigued me a lot so I decided to listen to Piper and it blew me away.

NickTheHat
Embryo
Embryo

Post by NickTheHat »

First discovered PF at secondary school with Another Brick as a hit single. Then me and my friend slowly worked our way backward through the albums both settling on the the Syd and very early Rog years as our favourites.

In the 1983 general election the school ran a kids equivalent with speeches etc and voting. We created an Apathy Anarchy party that one could vote for and put posters up around the school, Called it Terrapin as Syd felt very underground at that point.

My dad had been into racing old cars and took the two of us to Silverstone for a day out with classic car racing in the eighties. We got to see Nick Mason race and then we were briefly introduced to him by my dads mutual friend. That felt very cool and he signed my Floyd book.