Are El Morabba3 the arabic Pink Floyd?

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Are El Morabba3 the arabic Pink Floyd?

Post by Annoying Twit »

Well, some of their songs at least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0I2Prf3RQ6E or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uClFFtS_0wo

However: least Gilmour like guitar ever. But, this sort of reminds me of Rog a bit.

I may be imagining it a bit, but the cover of their first album even looks a bit 'Hipgnosis' to me.

Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Are El Morabba3 the arabic Pink Floyd?

Post by Annoying Twit »

I'll admit that this is not the most sensible thread in the world. I did a bit of a google. It seems that for some reason the band Hayajan is the 'arabic Pink Floyd', though it seems to me that their album sounds utterly nothing like PF to my ears. More dream pop like Porcupine Tree's Lazarus, but then the album ends with a copy of Comfortably Numb translated into arabic, but otherwise extremely close to the original.

https://youtu.be/1j1MBSwg44A

EDIT: Probably no-one will ever see this, but I see that the Arabic lyrics are different in meaning from the original, and here they are translated to English.

When you wake up floating on clouds
You say strange and incomprehensible things
You are so weak when you are illusioned
They deceived you and took you away
To a place where you can’t see daylight no more
When you feel the clock is playing tunes
Your head sways back and forth
You feel the sun covered by a sieve
You drink water but you are not thirsty
Oh my, you are not thirsty

Oh my, how much my mind is entangled, crying but can’t untangle from fog
Oh my, they say it’s just a period (of life) that will be gone
You have a key, hand it over
The solution is in your hands today

When you wake up floating on clouds
You say strange and incomprehensible things
You are so weak when you are illusioned
They deceived you and took you away
To a place where you can’t see daylight no more
I walked alone for years to reach boundaries
A place, I’ve never thought, to exist
I’ve seen, in my eyes, a look of lost hope
Gone days, I hope they’d come back again
Oh my, hope they’d come back again
Last edited by Annoying Twit on Tue Oct 31, 2023 4:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc »

Thanks for sharing, in common to many on this forum, I know the lyrics very well but in this version, it is clear that it is not just the regular 'English' lyrics that make this track what it is.
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

twcc wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:16 pm Thanks for sharing, in common to many on this forum, I know the lyrics very well but in this version, it is clear that it is not just the regular 'English' lyrics that make this track what it is.
I do think this version, since I can't understand arabic, focusses in on certain parts of the original song. And it shows me how PF, up to and including The Wall, was a sum of very impressive parts. While I like albums such as TFC and TDB, neither have all the ingredients of classic era PF.

While he's better known for semi-novelty songs such as 'No Woman No Drive', I get the impression that Hayajan singer Alaa Wardi has some talent. An interest in Pink Floyd may be what pushes him in a more interesting direction.
ClaudioB
Embryo
Embryo

Post by ClaudioB »

Annoying Twit wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:21 pm
twcc wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:16 pm Thanks for sharing, in common to many on this forum, I know the lyrics very well but in this version, it is clear that it is not just the regular 'English' lyrics that make this track what it is.
I test link do think this version, since I can't understand arabic, focusses in on certain parts of the original song. And it shows me how PF, up to and including The Wall, was a sum of very impressive parts. While I like albums such as TFC and TDB, neither have all the ingredients of classic era PF.

While he's better known for semi-novelty songs such as 'No Woman No Drive', I get the impression that Hayajan singer Alaa Wardi has some talent. An interest in Pink Floyd may be what pushes him in a more interesting direction.
Never heard of these guys, but they certainly captured the essence of the song since I enjoyed it very much even though I don't speak a word of Arabic and never listened to any music on Arabic before. More power to them!
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

ClaudioB wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:13 am Never heard of these guys, but they certainly captured the essence of the song since I enjoyed it very much even though I don't speak a word of Arabic and never listened to any music on Arabic before. More power to them!
Alaa Wardi is seriously talented, I believe. I have one of his albums which has nothing to do with this song and isn't by Hayajan.

If you haven't listened to arabic music before, can I suggest a song by the Lebanese band Mashrou' Leila. Lead singer Hamed Sinno (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamed_Sinno) is a very talented and interesting artist (in my opinion), and the song 'Roman' by his previous band Mashrou' Leila really demonstrates this. There isn't much of any connection to PF, but I think the song and visuals are in the same "better and more sophisticated than the mainstream but still accessible" bucket that I would put artists like PF, Brian Eno, Peter Gabriel etc in. And, I think the visuals of this video clip may appeal to those who appreciate Hipgnosis visuals. Maybe. Mostly I'm just thinking this might be an opportunity to spread the world music message to you given your post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF__cpsDmZk&t=74s