Obscured by Clouds 2016 Remix - What Was the Point?

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
theaussiefloydian
Blade
Blade

Obscured by Clouds 2016 Remix - What Was the Point?

Post by theaussiefloydian » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:52 pm

OK so the 2019 mix of A Momentary Lapse of Reason makes sense. There is an actual goal there - to de-80's it and get it closer to what it would have sounded like if all three members at the time had actually recorded it together as opposed to the manner in which it was recorded. No problem with that, totally down for it.
What I don't understand was why The Early Years came with a remix of Obscured by Clouds. To my ear there's nothing wrong with the mix that was released in 1972, and I never heard anyone ask for a new mix. It would have kind of made sense if that box came with a new stereo mix of Piper for example - I can't say I'm fond of the way that album is mixed in stereo - but why Obscured by Clouds? Did I miss something there?

Kerry King
Blade
Blade

Re: Obscured by Clouds 2016 Remix - What Was the Point?

Post by Kerry King » Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:44 am

It's your ears. We don't all hear the same.

What's the point of most remixes? It starts with an M and it's the title of the first track on side 2 of the vinyl version of dsotm.

theaussiefloydian
Blade
Blade

Post by theaussiefloydian » Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:54 am

Kerry King wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:44 am
What's the point of most remixes? It starts with an M and it's the title of the first track on side 2 of the vinyl version of dsotm.
Fair enough. But they wouldn't do something unless there was a demand for it, if I understand my economics right. And as far as I know there was no demand for a remix of ObC.
And in defence of the counterpoint of the Beatles remixes, which is admittedly a good counterpoint. It is well known that most Beatles fans dislike the stereo mixes so the remixes exist to appease said fans, I think. I know I prefer the remix of Sgt. Peppers to the original 67 stereo mix

FreeFour
Blade
Blade

Post by FreeFour » Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:19 pm

Maybe Roger thought there was still some Sibilance on the 2nd pressing..... :lol:

Kerry King
Blade
Blade

Post by Kerry King » Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:23 am

theaussiefloydian wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:54 am
And in defence of the counterpoint of the Beatles remixes, which is admittedly a good counterpoint. It is well known that most Beatles fans dislike the stereo mixes so the remixes exist to appease said fans, I think. I know I prefer the remix of Sgt. Peppers to the original 67 stereo mix
Some remixes are definitely more worthwhile than others.
FreeFour wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:19 pm
Maybe Roger thought there was still some Sibilance on the 2nd pressing..... :lol:
He does have an extremely overactive imagination.

Nooma Sheen
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Nooma Sheen » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:20 am

I dunno,when I’ve heard something hundreds of times,a
new way of hearing it isn’t a bad thing. I was very pleasantly surprised by the ObC remix. Very hi-def sounding, interestingly
so for such a “live” sounding record.
ObC to me is PF as 70’s rock band, like DSotM with no sound effects or guest musicians. The remix gives it a very fresh perspective like it was just recorded. I still love the original but I sure would like to have the remixes of this and MLOR on vinyl.