A Momentary Lapse of Reason - 2019 Mix

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

A Momentary Lapse of Reason - 2019 Mix

Post by theaussiefloydian »

I wanted to put up a place to talk about this on its own.
I listened to this on a bus so I don't think I quite have the full picture of how good it is, but even on my earbuds I use in transit it sounded leagues better than the original 1987 mix.

Signs of Life - the new melody line is very nice. Makes it more ethereal somehow.
Learning to Fly - It sounds... bigger? Also the sound effects in the second half seem to have been updated. A little arbitrary, but I don't mind.
Dogs of War - This one is actually kind of imposing now. Vast improvement. Doesn't help the lyrics of course.
One Slip - This went from being my least favourite on this album to one of my favourites on the album on the strength of the remix.
On the Turning Away - the live vocal sure is a choice, but the guitar solo is so much better sounding here.
Yet Another Movie - this is like night and day from the original. It's far more atmospheric, far darker, way better.
Round and Around - this is the only place where I was in any way underwhelmed, but it's a glorified transition piece so I don't mind.
A New Machine, Pt. 1 - from a crap, to a polished crap. Nothing could really save this track from its own choices honestly. Don't mind it though.
Terminal Frost - again, like night and day. The real piano sound makes it soooo much better.
A New Machine, Pt. 2 - See Pt. 1
Sorrow - more atmospheric, and the solo has more of a punch. I love it honestly.

What do you all think about the whole thing, now that we have access to it all?
mabewa
Axe
Axe

Re: A Momentary Lapse of Reason - 2019 Mix

Post by mabewa »

I'm loving it, myself. It's a pretty dramatic improvement. It's a rich, varied listening experience, the playing is much more interesting and lively than before, and I totally agree that One Slip, Yet Another Movie and Terminal Frost are transformed in an especially dramatic way. Not sure if I agree with every single production decision, and there are some things that are kind of hard to really make good, but I even like Dogs of War now--not that the lyrics have improved, but the playing (especially Rick going NUTS on the organ) is so engaging that I find myself just enjoying the overall song and not noticing the lyrics much.

I'll write in more detail later, but for now--it's one of the biggest improvements I've ever heard in a remixed album. And the more I listen, the more I like it.