instrumental and mixing differences in the 2019 AMLOR mix

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
mabewa
Axe
Axe

instrumental and mixing differences in the 2019 AMLOR mix

Post by mabewa »

I've been listening to the new version of Momentary Lapse of Reason a lot, and have started to go back and compare it to the original one to figure out exactly what was changed. Obviously, there is a pretty major change in terms of overall sound--both warmer and drier, with a lot of the excess reverb and general 80's bells and whistles removed. But as for instrumentation and mixing differences, here is what I hear:

1). Signs of Life: This is one of the more subtly changed tracks. The intro sounds clearer and less murky than before, but the big difference is obviously the new synth counter-melody. You can hear this, albeit more quietly, on live versions, so it's obviously something that Rick added later. It's a nice addition because it makes the section before Dave's guitar comes in more engaging.

2). Learning to Fly: Again, relatively subtle change. Of course, the drums sound more natural, but this song retains some 80's percussive stuff. The bigger changes are with the keys: it sounds like same Rhodes piano part that Rick originally played, but it's a lot louder in the mix, and they've removed the buzzy powerchords that the Rhodes part used to reinforce. That plus the new drum parts really gives it a more 70's sound to my ears. An odd addition is a sort of droning sound on the verses that sounds like a harmonium. There also seem to be some extra textural synth parts towards the end and an organ part on the outro that I assume were flown in from Rick's live performances. The other synth parts sound like the same as before (albeit a bit quieter), and I assume that those are Jon's original parts. The female backing singers are also featured more prominently, especially on the verses, and I think some of them were added from live performances.

3). Dogs of War: This is one of the more dramatically changed songs. Jon's low synth part sounds like the same take as in the original, but some of the effects have been removed, making it sound less robotic and more gothic to me. The drums, of course, are a lot more organic and less overbearing. The biggest change is the organ parts. On the original, Bill Payne played some pretty good Hammond, but Rick's 'new' divebombing powerchords are some of the most unhinged playing that's been featured on a PF record, and really make the song more intense and dramatic to my ears.

4). One Slip: Another dramatic change. The intro instrumental parts just sound like a sharper mix of the original parts, but during the vocal sections, it becomes a very different song: the bass is considerably louder (this album not only features a lot more Nick and Rick, but also a lot more Tony!), and then you have a quieter, more subtly driving drum, and Rick's very nice, percolating organ going on in the right channel. It changes the entire feel of the song: while the original sounded like synthpop with a progressive influence, it now sounds like a driving New Wave track.

5). On the Turning Away: This is back to more subtle changes. This time, the biggest change to my ears is that Nicks' drumming--both the playing and lack of effects, really remove the power-ballad feel that the original has. Rick's organ playing is mostly just a lot louder than on the original. I had originally thought it was the original part, but after repeated listenings, I'm hearing more and more subtle differences, and now think it's another things they took from a live performance. And then there is a different vocal track, at least on the first few verses, and the final verse has a more dramatic vocal mix that also seems to take some elements from the live versions. I don't actually notice the difference too much on the verses, though, but the instrumental sections sound much more Floydian now.

6). Yet Another Movie/Round and Round. Yet Another Movie is arguably the most dramatically changed song on the entire album. The biggest change is in the rhythm section--minus a lot of the percussive bells and whistles and with Tony Levin's really weird and creepy bass being MUCH higher in the mix, it's now carried by the drums and bass. The keyboard differences are more subtle. I think that the deep intro stuff and a lot of the textural stuff is Patrick Leonard's original parts, but they've removed the kind of tinkly 80's sounding keyboard fills and replaced them with an acoustic piano (very clear in parts of the intro) and later what sound like a more treated piano. There are also some flashes of Hammond. I'm assuming that these new piano and organ parts are more Rick stuff lifted from live performances.

7). New Machine/Terminal Frost: New Machine is barely changed, but it does sound like the vocoder effect has been reduced or turned down or something, which makes it more organic and a little easier to hear Dave's voice, at least to my ears. Terminal Frost really has a different feel with the acoustic drums replacing the drum machine, and the piano lines no longer treated and/or doubled with some kind of cheesy synth effect. Rick is credited with having played the piano on the original, and I think it may well just be his original part here, just cleaned up with no effects doubling it. The organ on the bridge sounds like a different and louder take, and the female backing vocals are also louder in the mix,

8). Sorrow: This is more in the subtle area. Instead of just the drum machine, you now have Nick playing with the drum machine, and also there seem to have removed or mixed down some bass synth effects, which makes the rhythm section more natural-sounding, while still keeping a bit of the robotic effect of the original. As someone else noted on this forum, it gives the first couple of verses a more desolate feel. Rick also has yet another new Hammond part that's fairly subtle in the first few verses, but which becomes a lot louder and more dramatic after the bridge and stays loud for the rest of the song. This and Nick's drumming give the instrumental sections a noticeably more Floydian sound, similar to the instrumental sections of the new mix of 'On the Turning Away.' I assume that the other keyboard parts are mostly Jon's original parts.

So, that's what I hear. Anyone else?
Luca
Axe
Axe

Re: instrumental and mixing differences in the 2019 AMLOR mix

Post by Luca »

Nice recap! There's also a minor addition to the lyrics of Learning to fly ("as" my senses reeled).
Yet another movie: much clearer saxophone (?) before David starts singing. While playing live Rick didn't play hammond on YAM (I have to watch the dvd again).
mabewa
Axe
Axe

Re: instrumental and mixing differences in the 2019 AMLOR mix

Post by mabewa »

Luca wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:36 pm Nice recap! There's also a minor addition to the lyrics of Learning to fly ("as" my senses reeled).
Yet another movie: much clearer saxophone (?) before David starts singing. While playing live Rick didn't play hammond on YAM (I have to watch the dvd again).
The new Hammond parts on YAM are really brief snatches, so I think it was something that Rick just switched to a couple of times when performing the song live.

It's clear from the live clips of the song that Carin was playing the main deep/textural synth parts (basically playing Leonard's main parts), while Rick mostly sticks to the higher, tinkley stuff that was originally more Leonard synth parts on the record, but which Rick chose to play on piano instead. I'm thinking that he added a few stabs of Hammond here and there, and those ended up getting added to the new version, along with the piano lines.