Top 10 Pink Floyd Albums

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Top 10 Pink Floyd Albums

Post by Annoying Twit »

space triangle wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:21 pm I forgot to mention the one thing here when we talked about AHM versus WYWH. I never liked much Roy Harper's singig on the HAC. Never liked the fact he wasn't a member of the band, but sings the Pink Floyd song.. I would have preferred any of Floyd guys to sing that song on the album. Even if it was Rick Wright. 8)
Then of course, Clare Torry wasn't a member of the band either :D
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

Annoying Twit wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:25 pmThen of course, Clare Torry wasn't a member of the band either :D
Welll.....it's not the same thing. 8)

When Pink Floyd tested DSOTM a year before recording the album, they tried several ways to arrange some kind of vocals to Rick's music (future TGGITS). But, nothing worked. Then someone suggested that they should try with female vocals..... and as they say the rest is a history.

But, we all know Roger and Dave both they could sing the HAC. See Wish You Were Here Immersion Box Set. They sang it live as well.
No wonder Roy Harper didn’t get any credit on the album cover. 8) Roger later regretted he didn't sang the HAC.
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

space triangle wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:48 pm Welll.....it's not the same thing. 8)

When Pink Floyd tested DSOTM a year before recording the album, they tried several ways to arrange some kind of vocals to Rick's music (future TGGITS). But, nothing worked. Then someone suggested that they should try with female vocals..... and as they say the rest is a history.

But, we all know Roger and Dave both they could sing the HAC. See Wish You Were Here Immersion Box Set. They sang it live as well.
No wonder Roy Harper didn’t get any credit on the album cover. 8) Roger later regretted he didn't sang the HAC.
It's not exactly the same thing, but then two things rarely are.

Clare Torry did create the precedent of someone other than a band member taking lead vocals. That the reasons for getting Roy Harper to sing HAC were different doesn't invalidate the precedent.

I think it's interesting that Roj regretted that, and that they never had a non-band member sing a lead vocal again. At least on studio albums.
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

Annoying Twit wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:15 pmClare Torry did create the precedent of someone other than a band member taking lead vocals.
Didn’t Seamus the dog already taken the lead vocals on Meddle? 8)

Or, didn't the 'Mapuga tribe of New Guinea' taken the lead vocals on the Absolutely Curtains? :D

And what about the leading choir on the AHM suite?
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

space triangle wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:56 pm
Annoying Twit wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:15 pmClare Torry did create the precedent of someone other than a band member taking lead vocals.
Didn’t Seamus the dog already taken the lead vocals on Meddle? 8)

Or, didn't the 'Mapuga tribe of New Guinea' taken the lead vocals on the Absolutely Curtains? :D

And what about the leading choir on the AHM suite?
Let's see. Put Clare Tory, the Mapuga Tribe, Seamus, and Roy Harper in a group. Pick out the two that are most similar in terms of their involvement. I wonder what the most reasonable result could be...

But, even if they weren't, it would just provide even more precedent that vocals on PF albums are not the preserve of the band members. Which was my point.
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

^^^
I understand you. I'm only joking a little bit with that last post. 8)
Annoying Twit wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:15 pmI think it's interesting that Roj regretted that, and that they never had a non-band member sing a lead vocal again. At least on studio albums.
I think it was because of their growing conflicts about a songs credits. I believe it was getting harder for them to agree on a songs credits with each other. Not to mention that they would be forced thinking about possible song/vocal credits for someone outside the band.