Roger Waters - Gilmour prevented any promotion of my film

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Roger Waters - Gilmour prevented any promotion of my film

Post by space triangle »

”Roger Waters touched on some interesting Pink Floyd topics while promoting the concert film, Roger Waters: Us + Them, particularly when it comes to his relationship with David Gilmour and Nick Mason.Waters said that Gilmour prevented any promotion of his film to appear on Pink Floyd’s website saying, “It’s not allowed. He censored it, and I’m not allowed to announce anything on it.”

************ EDITED BY ADMIN - No links for new members sorry

Well, there will certainly be no new Pink Floyd album 2021. [-X
Niebla de Fuego
Axe
Axe

Re: Roger Waters - Gilmour prevented any promotion of my film

Post by Niebla de Fuego »

That's old news from last year.

But now that you bring this to discussion, let's go to the point and consider this:

- Roger left Pink Floyd many years ago. He worked very hard to be away from the band. And now he wishes to be advertised in the band's website?

- The Pink Floyd website http://www.pinkfloyd.com/home.php does not advertise any solo product from any Floyd member (Gilmour, Mason, Wright, and of course Waters). If the Floyd site does not promote any individual project, why should it showcase a Waters solo product if none of the others have the same privilege?

- Even in social media (the Floyd official Facebook, Instagram, Twitter accounts) the focus of the last few months was (has been) the promotion of a Pink Floyd product (the new Later Years boxset). Is true that those same outlets have been used in the past to promote solo projects, and even the start of the Us+Them tour was announced there as well, same as they announced the Gilmour tours and Mason's LP boxset and tour.

But, again, a Floyd product has priority over any individual project. And it happens that Waters' film and the Later Years boxset reached the public at almost the same time (separated only by a couple of weeks or so). Which one would get more hype and priority in an official Floyd site/account?

Doesn't Waters has his own official website and social media accounts as well where he can advertise his own things? (Or maybe he doesn't have as many followers there, and that's why he wanted the Floyd official help to reach a much wider population to increase the sales of his solo product.)

My personal opinion is that it's just Waters crying and victimizing himself. Everybody is against him, as usual, as it has always been. And he throws yet another 4-year-old tantrum and tries to manipulate the media with words because he can't get what he wants.

But that's just my opinion. I may be wrong. Or not.
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

Niebla de Fuego wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:53 pm That's old news from last year.
Yes, I know it's a little older news. But I didn't find it anywhere here on the forum.
Yucateco
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Yucateco »

Niebla de Fuego wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:53 pm
Doesn't Waters has his own official website and social media accounts as well where he can advertise his own things? (Or maybe he doesn't have as many followers there, and that's why he wanted the Floyd official help to reach a much wider population to increase the sales of his solo product.)
Well it´s just a minor difference of 23 million followers :lol:

It´s at least a bit questionable not to promote the Us & Them film (full of Floyd tunes) but instead the guitarists wifes book on the official Pink Floyd account :-; It´s not that Waters isn´t prominently featured on Floyds Facebook, he is on every other foto posted... to add to the sillyness the folder of Floyds fotostream on Facebook features a picture of Roger Waters Berlin 1990 Wall concert as cover... :roll: Those boys will never grow up
Niebla de Fuego
Axe
Axe

Post by Niebla de Fuego »

That interview where Waters says he was "censored" was on September 2019.
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... ew-889933/

But the Later Years boxset was being planned and produced long before that. So there was an obvious conflict on dates and priorities.

Us + Them was scheduled to reach theaters within just weeks of the original planned release of Later Years. There's no question which one was to have a place in the official accounts.

Bad luck for Waters the Floyd decided to release a new box the same year he released his film. Maybe if the releases had happened in different years (or maybe separated by several months) the Waters product may have had a place in the PF account (but definitely not on the *official website*).

Yucateco wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:22 pm ...It´s at least a bit questionable not to promote the Us & Them film (full of Floyd tunes) but instead the guitarists wifes book on the official Pink Floyd account ...
At first I was also surprised to see Polly's book announced in the official PF Facebook account. But then I realized that:

On the one hand you have the woman you sleep with and who supports you in every little thing personally and professionally.

On the other hand you have a person who takes any opportunity in every interview to spit resentfulness to you because he hasn't been able to overcome his own past.

The decision is rather obvious, and the message is quite clear: You support the ones who support you. If someone talks s#!t about you, why are you forced to advertise their product?
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

my view is who ever thought it was a good idea to put Polly's book on PF's social media page made a mistake as even DG fans found it a big error on PFM's marketing department. As i doubt David has any say in any off it.
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

Good to know David didn't put book by his ex-wife Gimger Gilmour on PF's social media page. as well! :lol: