Post a Pink Floyd or Related Video

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Post a Pink Floyd or Related Video

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Pino Palladino discusses the bassline that got him hired to play on About Face, after which he went with Gilmour to play on Pete Townsend's White City, and so on and so on, playing on an endless list of things including Rick Wright's Broken China. He's also performed with Gilmour a number of times, including television appearances with Pete Townsend and Mica Paris, as well as the Stratocaster 50th anniversary concert.

[EDIT: Worth mentioning that Fender first offered a fretless version of the Precision Bass in 1970, the same year that "Fat Old Sun" was recorded - Ampeg offered one earlier than that, but I've never seen any mention or photos of Gilmour with either, though he may have just had multiple necks for the same P-bass, like he did for his Strats.]

ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

These guys all played on Broken China (and Pino's wife even sang backup):

ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Peter Gabriel's album Us was a big influence on Rick Wright's Broken China, and Rick saw him on tour while Pink Floyd were gearing up for the Division Bell tour. "I admire just about everything Peter Gabriel's ever done, from progressive to world music to pop. He's a great man with great ideas - oh, and he's a great musician...I think in many ways Peter hears music the way that I hear it, so I'd have to say he's a kindred spirit."

"I saw Peter Gabriel's world tour early in 1994. Manu Katché was playing drums and I had already formulated the idea of doing an album. As soon as I heard him, I knew that I wanted him to play on Broken China, so I sent him the music and, although is schedule was very tight, he called to say that he would like to play, on the understanding that Pino Palladino would play bass, as they work together very much as a team. Pino was already my main choice anyway and it was a joy to see them playing together and to experience how quickly they laid down the tracks. Eight tracks in six days - amazing! Tim Renwick was naturally my first choice, because of our association with the Floyd tours and also, besides being a close friend, he gives you whatever sound and feel you suggest. Afterwards, when I was looking for someone to play some atmospheric guitars, Laurie Latham, who engineered the overdubs, suggested Dominic Miller, who, although working with Sting at the time, took time off to work with me."

"You probably won't know this, but when Syd left Pink Floyd we actually asked Jeff Beck to join, he was our first choice. He was doing OK at the time so he turned us down. There's one track on Guitar Shop called 'Where Were You?' that's just this beautiful, melodic guitar sequence. I loved it so much that I took that feel for an instrumental called 'Sweet July' on my new solo album. I wanted Beck to play on it but he turned me down. Again."

Dominic Miller had played with Pino on Manu's first solo album, It's About Time, in 1992. Broken China also features guitarist Steve Bolton, who had played on Paul Young's No Parlez - the same album where Gilmour had first heard Pino and asked him to play on About Face.

Sinéad O'Connor also sang on Us, though Paula Cole was the female vocalist on Gabriel's tour.
K2+
Axe
Axe

Post by K2+ »

^^
Cool info, thanks.

I was never able to get into BC, but I'm going to listen to it again soon, and see if time has changed my feelings towards it.
FreeFour
Knife
Knife

Post by FreeFour »

FreeFour
Knife
Knife

Post by FreeFour »

ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

They asked Pink Floyd to play, but Roger said he wanted to bring his Pros and Cons tour band instead. If Dave would've pulled that for Live 8, people would still be crying about it.
FreeFour
Knife
Knife

Post by FreeFour »

Last edited by twcc on Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Comment by TWCC ... love it, not seen this report before :-)
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

The theme for The Dead Zone, composed by Michael Kamen and released halfway between The Final Cut and About Face, both of which feature Kamen's arrangements. The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking would soon follow, on which he also arranged, played piano, and co-produced (and was then part of the touring band).

I watched this for the first time last night just due to it being a Stephen King movie starring Christopher Walken, but it turned out to be eerily appropriate for this past week.

Eclipse
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by Eclipse »

Jimi Dean Barrett
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

The Gunner's Dream! Recently uploaded! WHAT THE HELL ARE THE BACKING SINGE-
Good to watch

space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

¨¨
Simple but powerfull.
scarecrow
Axe
Axe

Post by scarecrow »

FreeFour
Knife
Knife

Post by FreeFour »

On last weeks Guy Pratt Rockonteurs podcast (excellent btw) they had Mark King from Level 42 on.

During this podcast Guy mentioned that a video had recently surfaced on YouTube of Mark King being shown around backstage at the Toronto 87 hangar rehearsals

I have seen the hangar rehearsals footage but never seen Mark King being shown around

Anyone out there seen this?
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Roger Waters and Shakira purchased a private island in the Bahamas in 2011, and are developing it into a resort for millionaires.