Careful With That Axe Eugene - the live debut

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Careful With That Axe Eugene - the live debut

Post by space triangle »

Does anyone know when the CWTAE was first time performed live? With the Roger's scream. I know the song evolved from the 'Keep Smiling People' and 'Murderistic Women', but I do not know when it was the first time performed live in its entirety ? I checked in my Pink Floyd books, but I'm unable to find this information anywhere.

thanks/
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Careful With That Axe Eugene - the live debut

Post by twcc »

^^^
There is no definitive answer to the CWTAE question in the Pink Floyd books that I own; but you are quite right insofar KSP was the origin and was performed in Amsterdam on 23 May 1968, the re-work under the MW title was recorded at a BBC session for the show on 25 June 1968 and CWTAE was performed at Newcastle on 27 November 1968.

The track on Ummagumma was recorded at Birmingham on 27 April 1969 and Manchester on 2 May 1969.
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

twcc wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 6:08 pm...MW at a BBC session for the show on 25 June 1968 and CWTAE was performed at Newcastle on 27 November 1968.
So, it must be some time between these two dates the CWTAE was played live for the first time.

I wonder also if the song was played live or not before the band recorded a single Point Me at the Sky/Careful with That Axe, Eugene? A single was recorded 4 November 1968, but released 17 December 1968.
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

26 jul 1968 Pink Floyd played at 'The Shrine Auditorium Expo Hall' Los Angeles, CA

Setlist was:

Interstellar Overdrive
Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun
Matilda Mother
A Saucerful of Secrets

So, they didn't start playing the CWTAE live at least before August 1968.