'On This Day' in the Pink Floyd history...

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

'On This Day' in the Pink Floyd history...

Post by space triangle »

I thought this can be interesting and useful thread:

1. Interesting - Well, it's always nice to remember some of the most important dates of the rich Pink Floyd's history.

2. Useful - Just two weeks ago I stumbled upon a brand new article about infamous Pink Floyd show in the Crystal Palace Gardens on May 15, 1971, when Pink Floyd music killed thousands of poor fish in the pond near the stage. 8)

Anyway, on this day May 29, 1967 Pink Floyd played together with Cream and The Jimi Hendrix Experience at the Tulip Bulb Auction Hall, Spalding. - The spalding festival: barbeque 67

space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Re: 'On This Day' in the Pink Floyd history...

Post by space triangle »

This is interesting. I never know that they were sometimes announced as PINK (PSYCHEDELIC) FLOYD in the early days. :o

drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

What a bargain £1.00 entry. That equates to around £15.00 now
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

space triangle wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 6:44 am
2. Useful - Just two weeks ago I stumbled upon a brand new article about infamous Pink Floyd show in the Crystal Palace Gardens on May 15, 1971, when Pink Floyd music killed thousands of poor fish in the pond near the stage. 8)

It also poured with rain throughout the atom heart mother set and it was the third outing for return of the son to nothing - an early version of Echoes. There is a boot available of this show but the sound quality is terrible
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

A poor fish in that pond. :( First they threw a huge inflatable octopus at them and scared them to death, Then they killed them with their loud music! :lol:

Was the inflatable octopus their first inflatable stage prop?
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

On this day May 29, 1970 The soundtrack to Zabriskie Point was released in the UK, and failed to chart
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

space triangle wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 3:41 pm On this day May 29, 1970 The soundtrack to Zabriskie Point was released in the UK, and failed to chart
They (PF) made up for that!!!
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

space triangle wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 11:17 amWas the inflatable octopus their first inflatable stage prop?
I remebered today, I have seen once a picture of Pink Floyd playing live on the stage surronded by a huge inflatable bottle of ketchup, a big inflatable box of Corn Flakes and big inflatable radio-wireless set.
I believe it was a picture from Sheffield gig 22,12. 1970 when they played Allen's Psychedelic Breakfast live. But I have no memory of where I saw that picture. Probably in a some book about Pink Floyd many years ago.

So to answer my own question, no the inflatable octopus wasn't their first inflatable stage prop. 8)
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

On this day May 31 1969 the film More complete with Pink Floyd's soundtrack, premiered at the Cannes Film Festival. The film was never released in the UK.
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc »

Bit of a tangent, on this day 01 June 1936 Gerald Scarfe was born in London. Known principally for his cartoons and illustrations in Private Eye, The Sunday Times, The New Yorker etc ... however, on this forum it is the video for 'Welcome To The Machine', the short films for the 'In The Flesh' tour, plus the text, the inflatables and the animation associated with 'The Wall' (album, tour and film).

Happy Birthday Gerald \:D/
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

twcc wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 11:23 pm... however, on this forum it is the video for 'Welcome To The Machine', the short films for the 'In The Flesh' tour, plus the text, the inflatables and the animation associated with 'The Wall' (album, tour and film).
Don't forget Gerard's work on the The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking too. He created all the graphics and animation for the Pros and Cons album as well.

Happy birthday, Gerard!
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

space triangle wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 1:55 pm
space triangle wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 11:17 amWas the inflatable octopus their first inflatable stage prop?
I remebered today, I have seen once a picture of Pink Floyd playing live on the stage surronded by a huge inflatable bottle of ketchup, a big inflatable box of Corn Flakes and big inflatable radio-wireless set.
I believe it was a picture from Sheffield gig 22,12. 1970 when they played Allen's Psychedelic Breakfast live. But I have no memory of where I saw that picture. Probably in a some book about Pink Floyd many years ago.

So to answer my own question, no the inflatable octopus wasn't their first inflatable stage prop. 8)
You may have to provide photographic evidence for that one as I have never heard of those inflatables - also Vernon Finch who is a Guro on Matters concerning PF sugests thar the octopus was the first inflatable
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

He was also responsible for the inn keeper

twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc »

On this day 02 June 1972 the album Obscured By Clouds was released in the UK ... some sources state 03 June.
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

drafsack wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:01 pmYou may have to provide photographic evidence for that one as I have never heard of those inflatables - also Vernon Finch who is a Guro on Matters concerning PF sugests thar the octopus was the first inflatable
First this short text is taken from the book 'Pink Floyd the visual documentary by Miles and Andy Mabbett'. It's from the Rick Wright's interview 1972. He is talking about difficulties of reproducing some of the Pink Floyd album tracks on stage. Especially, Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast:

'We have had difficulties for example 'Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast', we tried it on our English tour and it didn't worked at all so we had to give it up completely. We only played it four times live.

So, I could have sworn yesterday that I saw that picture somewhere, but now I’m not sure what to think. A memory is tricky. I especially remember that big bottle of ketchup and big box of cornflakes. But, maybe they weren't inflatables? Maybe it was all made of say cardboard? Those were the early days for the band. But, as we can see from Rick's words they quickly abandoned everything that was related to APB live, so maybe things failed to be recorded? But I’ll try to see if I can find that picture anywhere. Or maybe a memory is left somewhere from the fans who were lucky enough to attend one of these four shows when the band played APB live.

EDIT:

Here is it 'drafsack'. I just found this: PINK FLOYD ALAN'S PSYCHEDELIC MEMORIES by Simon Phillips

Free Trade Hall Manchester 21 12 1970

'I only have hazy memories of the performance of Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast. Part of the stage was set up as a kitchen. There was definitely a huge box of Kellogg's cornflakes and I seem to think everything else might have been oversized too - a bottle of ketchup, a radio, a bowle and spoon and maybe the table and chairs too?
That's my abiding memory of this show loking down on to this 'large braekfast' scene. I know that the box of cornflakes was enormous and the other things was there so they must have been large too'.

It is described exactly as I saw it in that picture. 8)