Why was there so little Pink Floyd after 1994?

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Re: Why was there so little Pink Floyd after 1994?

Post by azza200 »

Master_Chief wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:17 pm
space triangle wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:52 pm What you exactly mean?
When Money came out most fans at their North American concerts in particular wanted to hear Money, and Pink Floyd usually played a work in progress version of the forthcoming album on tours.

I'd have to delve into my various Pink Floyd books to find the exact quote, but I've read numerous sources that once Money became successful on air the fans would screech at concerts "play Money", to which the band (most prominently Roger) would get antsy about and understandably so. This either led to, or made worse his feelings of resentment to the audience and led to his spitting in the fan and eventual wall concept.

Money definitely had it's place in the setlist during the years of late 72, 73, 74 and 75, but after that Floyd came up with Animals and I feel that when I listen to concerts from that era that Money and Us and Them just doesn't gel well with the rest of the set. Plus it's heavy use in the post-Waters Floyd jars with me slightly.
Why?? people probably expected too hear that song its a hit song along with Brick P2 and WYWH. Roger has played it too death just as much as the 87-94 tours did.
Master_Chief
Axe
Axe

Post by Master_Chief »

All very valid points, and I did say it was only my opinion. Of course when you look at songs like Comfortably Numb its very hard to comprehend Live 8 or any other concert without it.

But if Roger and Pink Floyd had never broken up in 1985 and instead stayed together and plunged straight into another concept album and supporting tour, it's not entirely unlikely Comfortably Numb would've been dropped or at least played intermittently instead.

Only the post-Waters Floyd tours truly made Comfortably Numb this nine-minute behemoth that concludes a gig. Of course each rendition is fantastic, particularly the second solo as we all know. But it's fascinating to look at how it could've been shaped without the split.

As for Money and the Live 8 crowd, yes of course people were expecting their greatest hits. But for someone who prefers their lesser known content, I'd much prefer a concert along the lines of Muse at Shepherds Bush Empire in 2017 where fans could vote on the set list. In that instance several songs that weren't played live before or in several years were played live.
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

Master_Chief wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:17 pmI'd have to delve into my various Pink Floyd books to find the exact quote, but I've read numerous sources that once Money became successful on air the fans would screech at concerts "play Money",
It's true, but I also listened Gilmour say that ‘Money’ is the most important song in the band’s history. 'Money' song allowed them to break on the American market, and enter the world's elite of Rock bands according Gilmour's words.
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

@Master_Chief I agree with what you say about Money & Us and Them on the 77 tour as encores. I like the 25 min set they played at Live 8 covers all boundaries DSOTM their biggest album everyone knows Wish, rounded off with an epic Comfortably Numb rendition. That set alone got them so many new fans
ZiggyZipgun
Knife
Knife

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

I didn’t want to hijack this thread, so here's one to cook up alternate set lists for Live 8:

viewtopic.php?t=25440
ZiggyZipgun
Knife
Knife

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Annoying Twit wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:58 pmIf Rog is singing harmony lines in tune, that implies a bit more of an ear than he is usually credited with.
On the BBC's The Record Producers special on Pink Floyd, Gilmour explained why he and Rick usually double-tracked their vocals, rather than singing harmonies together:
"We of course only had two people who could really effectively sing harmony, which was me and Rick. Rick's timing and my timing were very different, you know - where I would put a syllable or a bent note in the middle of a syllable or a word, Rick's was always completely different. And that, probably, is part of why it's great, but it was also really difficult to get these things right."