Roy Harper - Have A Cigar

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Roy Harper - Have A Cigar

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:40 pm Here's Peter Gabriel and Kate Bush weirdly covering a Roy Harper song.
And just to round out that Venn diagram, here's Joanna Newsom, who has been heavily influenced by both Roy Harper and Kate Bush.
Her husband is Andy Samberg of SNL/Brooklyn Nine-Nine/"Dick in a Box" fame. I've seen her live, and she's phenomenal.

https://youtu.be/UGoNCvoZuYA
https://youtu.be/DbdAVoIJzIk
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:39 pm Check out Stormcock - that's my favorite. A full album with notable session guitarist Jimmy Page on acoustic.
Will do.
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPqiVr179KY

I didn't know Pink Floyd boys know Roy Harper already in 1974. I thought they come across him in the next door studio when they recorded WYWH album. :)
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

They played Hyde Park with him in 1968, and many gigs after that. As I said, they were both on the Harvest label.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:14 pm They played Hyde Park with him in 1968, and many gigs after that.
From Wikipedia: "At the time, he spoke of co-writing a rock opera with Pink Floyd. No opera resulted, but it was the beginning of a musical relationship."

Haven't found any details about this anywhere, but it's somewhat surprising that they didn't do something while Roger was just starting to write songs.
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:56 pmFrom Wikipedia: "At the time, he spoke of co-writing a rock opera with Pink Floyd. No opera resulted, but it was the beginning of a musical relationship."

Haven't found any details about this anywhere, but it's somewhat surprising that they didn't do something while Roger was just starting to write songs.
Now when you mention it, I remember a text from a couple of years ago. The story went like this: When the last of the their singles after a departure of Syd Barrett - Point Me At The Sky - failed, the band found themselves in a situation where they were not sure how to continue on. Then Roger suggested that they should stop releasing a singles and try Opera or some similar conceptual work. It was even stated in the article that they asked for some financial help for that project, if I remember correctly. The result of all this was not Opera, but it was their first conceptual work ‘The Man and The Journey'. But I now can't find that text anywhere. Maybe I run into something about it on the net later.