Delicate Sound of Thunder Standalone Release (November 2020)

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
User avatar
azza200
Judge!
Judge!
Posts: 2231
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 2:18 pm

Re: Delicate Sound of Thunder Standalone Release (November 2020)

Post by azza200 »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:28 pm
theaussiefloydian wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:24 pmTo this day if it's a really good live Comfortably Numb I want I'll go listen to PULSE instead.
DarkSideFreak wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 9:43 pmWhat about 2006 tour versions? I remember the one on the bonus DVD of "Remember That Night" having a very surprising and unusual solo. :shock:
Both of the DSOT and Pulse versions are too slow (right around 56 BPM), while Gilmour's later live versions matched the tempo from the album and the original tour (64 BPM). On the About Face tour, he split the difference (60 BPM). I do think that Rick's vocals on the 2006 tour are the best version, and he should've done it all along. Gdańsk is my favorite because it has Rick's vocals and the orchestra, though Wrocław also had an orchestra and was a live broadcast. Gilmour's appearance on Roger's tour featured the most mistakes of his career, but I imagine he could see Rog's interpretive dance over the edge of the wall was distracted and/or confused.


That solo is amazing :D :shock:
battra
Blade
Blade
Posts: 131
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:13 pm

Re: Delicate Sound of Thunder Standalone Release (November 2020)

Post by battra »

theaussiefloydian wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:43 pm
battra wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:28 pm Was there a live album released that I didn't know about?
From 2006 there was the Remember That Night concert film, and then in 2008 Live in Gdansk was from the same tour I believe.
I'm only talking about him in Pink Floyd tho.

Just DSOT and Pulse.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer
Posts: 967
Joined: Mon May 05, 2008 3:04 pm

Re: Delicate Sound of Thunder Standalone Release (November 2020)

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

battra wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 11:09 pmI'm only talking about him in Pink Floyd tho.
Some people enjoy self-deprivation, but it's not healthy.
User avatar
theaussiefloydian
Knife
Knife
Posts: 403
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:57 pm
Gender: Male

Re: Delicate Sound of Thunder Standalone Release (November 2020)

Post by theaussiefloydian »

battra wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 11:09 pm I'm only talking about him in Pink Floyd tho.
Yeah in that case no. The only official live albums from Pink Floyd that I'm aware of are Delicate Sound of Thunder, PULSE, Is There Anybody Out There?, the live LP on Ummagumma and Knebworth 1990 now that that's a standalone release.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer
Posts: 967
Joined: Mon May 05, 2008 3:04 pm

Re: Delicate Sound of Thunder Standalone Release (November 2020)

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

battra wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 10:38 pm sorry Pink Floyds Is There Anybody Out There as it's not on vinyl...so it's not real
:roll:
User avatar
theaussiefloydian
Knife
Knife
Posts: 403
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:57 pm
Gender: Male

Re: Delicate Sound of Thunder Standalone Release (November 2020)

Post by theaussiefloydian »

battra wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 10:38 pm and sorry Pink Floyds Is There Anybody Out There as it's not on vinyl...so it's not real.
With the greatest respect that's a somewhat odd definition. Do not get me wrong I love me some vinyl (finally got all 15 Pink Floyd studio albums on vinyl, never been happier!) but all of the music I've personally released is all just on digital streaming services. I'd love to have some cut to vinyl but the buggers are expensive to have cut and released. So my albums aren't any less real because they're on vinyl (though their quality is still something of question, let's be honest), and that applies to all albums.
battra
Blade
Blade
Posts: 131
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:13 pm

Re: Delicate Sound of Thunder Standalone Release (November 2020)

Post by battra »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 11:20 pm
battra wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 11:09 pmI'm only talking about him in Pink Floyd tho.
Some people enjoy self-deprivation, but it's not healthy.
I've watched half of That One Night and listened to Gdansk once or twice....

Nothing really stuck on those.

But the real point was I was comparing three live albums I'm familiar with is all
battra
Blade
Blade
Posts: 131
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:13 pm

Re: Delicate Sound of Thunder Standalone Release (November 2020)

Post by battra »

theaussiefloydian wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 11:51 pm
battra wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 11:09 pm I'm only talking about him in Pink Floyd tho.
Yeah in that case no. The only official live albums from Pink Floyd that I'm aware of are Delicate Sound of Thunder, PULSE, Is There Anybody Out There?, the live LP on Ummagumma and Knebworth 1990 now that that's a standalone release.
I do my best to only speak to what I know...and I Just don't know those Dave releases that's all.
battra
Blade
Blade
Posts: 131
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:13 pm

Re: Delicate Sound of Thunder Standalone Release (November 2020)

Post by battra »

theaussiefloydian wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:02 am
battra wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 10:38 pm and sorry Pink Floyds Is There Anybody Out There as it's not on vinyl...so it's not real.
With the greatest respect that's a somewhat odd definition. Do not get me wrong I love me some vinyl (finally got all 15 Pink Floyd studio albums on vinyl, never been happier!) but all of the music I've personally released is all just on digital streaming services. I'd love to have some cut to vinyl but the buggers are expensive to have cut and released. So my albums aren't any less real because they're on vinyl (though their quality is still something of question, let's be honest), and that applies to all albums.
It's a bit of silliness.

:)

No more no less. I love the release and I long for the vinyl release which will never arrive.
User avatar
theaussiefloydian
Knife
Knife
Posts: 403
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:57 pm
Gender: Male

Re: Delicate Sound of Thunder Standalone Release (November 2020)

Post by theaussiefloydian »

battra wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:05 am It's a bit of silliness.
:)
No more no less. I love the release and I long for the vinyl release which will never arrive.
Ah, then no worries. I too would like a vinyl release of that album.
battra wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:04 am I do my best to only speak to what I know...and I Just don't know those Dave releases that's all.
Solid attitude, totally respect it.
battra wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:03 am I've watched half of That One Night and listened to Gdansk once or twice... Nothing really stuck on those.
Fair enough, but I do quite enjoy some of the performances on those. Seeing David and Rick play "Echoes" together is always bound to bring a smile to my face at any rate.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer
Posts: 967
Joined: Mon May 05, 2008 3:04 pm

Re: Delicate Sound of Thunder Standalone Release (November 2020)

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

theaussiefloydian wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:07 am Fair enough, but I do quite enjoy some of the performances on those. Seeing David and Rick play "Echoes" together is always bound to bring a smile to my face at any rate.
Agreed. Gdańsk was a particularly damn good show - he wasn't planning to release the entire show, but when he reviewed the recordings from that tour to assemble a live album, almost every version he picked was from that day. Most live albums are planned in advance, and taken from a string of nights at the same venue, with a lot of cherry-picking and editing. This one just turned out perfectly.
battra
Blade
Blade
Posts: 131
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:13 pm

Re: Delicate Sound of Thunder Standalone Release (November 2020)

Post by battra »

theaussiefloydian wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:07 am Fair enough, but I do quite enjoy some of the performances on those. Seeing David and Rick play "Echoes" together is always bound to bring a smile to my face at any rate.
They're probably great.

I mean, why wouldn't they be?

But, when I listened to Gdansk for the first time, I hadn't grown a love for Echoes yet...and that colored it for me...

As for watching, I don't watch concerts. I watch once and that's about all the joy I get.
User avatar
theaussiefloydian
Knife
Knife
Posts: 403
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:57 pm
Gender: Male

Re: Delicate Sound of Thunder Standalone Release (November 2020)

Post by theaussiefloydian »

battra wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:34 pm As for watching, I don't watch concerts. I watch once and that's about all the joy I get.
That's fair. Not sure I could watch the new Delicate Sound of Thunder more than once, though I did make a personal edit of the show where I re-inserted "Yet Another Movie" through to "A New Machine 2" from the extras so I'd probably watch my edit of it again. I also love watching PULSE.
User avatar
DarkSideFreak
Blade
Blade
Posts: 249
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:22 pm
Gender: Male

Re: Delicate Sound of Thunder Standalone Release (November 2020)

Post by DarkSideFreak »

battra wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 11:09 pm I'm only talking about him in Pink Floyd tho.

Just DSOT and Pulse.
Dude, see your earlier post.
battra wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 10:38 pm I think my fave is from The Wall 2015 [Roger Waters solo, actually it was 2013]....sorry Dave's Pompeii, the guy doing Roger is closer to Kenny Rogers... and sorry Pink Floyds Is There Anybody Out There as it's not on vinyl...so it's not real.

;)
battra
Blade
Blade
Posts: 131
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:13 pm

Re: Delicate Sound of Thunder Standalone Release (November 2020)

Post by battra »

DarkSideFreak wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:36 pm
battra wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 11:09 pm I'm only talking about him in Pink Floyd tho.

Just DSOT and Pulse.
Dude, see your earlier post.
battra wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 10:38 pm I think my fave is from The Wall 2015 [Roger Waters solo, actually it was 2013]....sorry Dave's Pompeii, the guy doing Roger is closer to Kenny Rogers... and sorry Pink Floyds Is There Anybody Out There as it's not on vinyl...so it's not real.

;)
Oh man.

I forgot I made mention of Pompeii like a week or two earlier.

The response of mine, which you quoted, was answering what about Dave's 05-06 tour.

This isn't so serious, my friend.