UK Television - Sat 26 September 2020

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

UK Television - Sat 26 September 2020

Post by twcc »

Just spotted that 'Sky Arts' have a bit of an evening tomorrow -

6.30-pm Pink Floyd Live at Pompeii (1972)
7.45-pm Pink Floyd PULSE - The Dark Side of the Moon Live (1994)
9.00-pm Roger Waters Us + Them (2017/18)
11.30-pm Pink Floyd: The Story of Wish You Were Here (1975)

Sky Arts is broadcast in the UK on Freeview 11, Freesat 147, Sky 122, Virgin 123 (HD 156), BT 348 (HD 363)
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: UK Television - Sat 26 September 2020

Post by Keith Jordan »

I hadn't realised Sky Arts was on the Freeview. I cancelled Sky a long time ago! I might actually watch old Roger. 8)
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc »

Note to UK viewers -

Your TV may need to be re-tuned to pick up the Freeview channel ... do not wait until five minutes before broadcast :-;
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

Ooh! Direct clash with The Craig Charles Funk and Soul show on 6Music. (In the 90's Funk was the Red Hot Chilli Peppers and Soul was whatever the hell it was, dragged my feet and missed out on loads!)
But I do like Sky Arts being Freeview. I don't like being among the last to find out it turned to Freeview! But better late etc
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

On my TV at least, the Freeview for Sky Arts only appears to be in standard definition so that has taken a little of the joy away for me. I will just have to watch without my glasses on and still believe there is 4K to be seen! :shock:
PooF
Hammer
Hammer

Post by PooF »

Thanks for the heads up, twcc. I may be able to manage Pompeii before my bedtime!
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

Oooh! On Virgin too. I'll set up my TV to record.
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc »

Keith Jordan wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:01 pm On my TV at least, the Freeview for Sky Arts only appears to be in standard definition ...
Correct, Freeview 11 is SD ... HD only via Virgin HD 156 and BT HD 363.
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

I always wanted Sky Arts to one day end up on Freeview didn't expect it to actually happen. If it wasn't posted that U&T was to be shown this Saturday and was now available on Freeview I would of missed it and not re-tuned my TV
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

Pompeii is on and its the original version not the crappy directors cut
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

Just watching the last 15 minutes of DSotM live as per Pulse. I know that everyone knows this already, but DSotM is a really great piece of music, done full justice by this band.
FreeFour
Knife
Knife

Post by FreeFour »

Thank you twcc for the heads up

Enjoying the Pulse DSoTM with Sorrow and Keep Talking as the encore which was unexpected, but very enjoyable

Really looking forward to the new Roger Waters gig next!
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc »

For those that missed it, there's a partial repeat next Friday 2 October (early Saturday morning on 3 October) -

12.15-am Pink Floyd PULSE - The Dark Side of the Moon Live (1994)
01.30-am Roger Waters Us + Them (2017/18)
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

I missed the end of Us + Them, due to need for sleep.

Comparing Us + Them to DSotM Pulse version, I think this shows how live shows have come on in the intervening time. The sound is definitely better for Us + Them. But, I think that the performances for Us + Them are very professional, but not as soulful. E.g. I think the Pulse GGitS is much better than the U+T version, as it sounds more soulful. The U+T version sounds bit too modified in the vocal melody compared to the original, and I don't think it's an improvement.

But, both of them are fantastic. Just that one is a bit more fantastic in terms of live sound (U+T) and the other is a bit more fantastic in terms of the naturalness of the performance (Pulse). Both of them, and Nick's Live at the Roundhouse are all brilliant, in my opinion.

EDIT: On the Steve Hoffman forums, people are discussing the Sky Arts broadcast. They are generally quite negative about some aspects of U+T, claiming that it is not just a simple document of the live concert, but has been manipulated a lot. E.g. that the young photogenic people in the front row who know all the words may be 'plants', and brought in from another concert. I don't mind that, as I feel that U+T is a product. With some miming by Roger (both vocal + instrumental), and it's a very good product. Pulse appeared to be more natural. I was pleased to read of how natural + original Live at the Roundhouse is. It's claimed that some mistakes are replaced using performances from other nights - and at one time you can see Lee Harris's hands make a mistake while the soundtrack has the correct notes. But, it was claimed that nothing was re-done in the studio.
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc »

Annoying Twit wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:39 am ... I was pleased to read of how natural + original Live at the Roundhouse is. It's claimed that some mistakes are replaced using performances from other nights - and at one time you can see Lee Harris's hands make a mistake while the soundtrack has the correct notes. But, it was claimed that nothing was re-done in the studio.
Live at the Roundhouse was recorded on 3rd July and 4th July 2019 (small print on the Blu-ray insert) so I can quite understand that the audio may be, at times, from one night and the the video from the other night. Getting all the camera angles perfect would be difficult and with two recordings the final result is 10/10.

As for the need for sleep, you'll have a challenge when U+T is rebroadcast next Friday night ... :lol: