Listen to Early Morning Henry featuring Pink Floyd

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Listen to Early Morning Henry featuring Pink Floyd

Post by Annoying Twit »

I listened to it once. I don't think I'll be missing out if I never hear it again.
Shakesomeaction
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Shakesomeaction »

The Auction room had to take the name of Pink Floyd down, after a threatening phone call from the manager.
Although there was no denying this was Pink Floyd backing.
Sad that people with so much money care about some minor demo they have done as a favour back in the day....
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

Keith Jordan wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:47 pmI think all the evidence stacks up from the story on the news page. It would be nice if Nick Mason or one of the others could remember recording it and say something about it. :D
I don't see any evidence that connects the paperwork with this anonymous acetate.
And the backing doesn't sound like Pink Floyd at all to me. Are those drums by Nick Mason? I've never heard him drum like that.
Shakesomeaction wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:00 pm100% Pink Floyd backing as the reference number on this Acetate D 375 complied with the reference number of the Publishing data base (D 375) which stated William “Billy” Butler (Composer, Vocals), Pink Floyd (Backing band), Norman Smith (Producer), Recording Date ( 23rd October 1967), Recorded at Abbey Road Studios, Jamarnie Music (publishing copyright), Not released, it also mentionS “No Tape Available” (meaning there was no master tape in the archive) there is no mistaking what this is....even if people’s memories are a bit hazy after 53 years and a lot of mind expanding substances.
I don't see any reference number on the acetate itself.

There's been a fake acetate before ('Scream Thy Last Scream'). So, this can be another one.
At best, it might be real acetate of another group performing 'Early Morning Henry'.

Even if the seller is convinced it's Pink Floyd, it doesn't mean it's Pink Floyd.
Until there's an official authentification, real evidence, I'm very sceptical.
Shakesomeaction
Embryo
Embryo

The reference number was on the library sleeve.
You can believe what you want, but I know what this is....

Pink Floyd management contacted the auction house and because of copy right, they had to remove the Pink Floyd name from it, but there was no denying this is Pink Floyd backing.
Last edited by Shakesomeaction on Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

Nick will remember it if he hears the sample. He already stated long time ago that he does not remember the session.
hallucalation
Embryo
Embryo

Post by hallucalation »

Hadrian wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:50 pm Nick will remember it if he hears the sample. He already stated long time ago that he does not remember the session.
The same Nick also had told in 2010 to Wire Magazine that he does not remember John Latham session and it isn't leaked on bootlegs so it wasn't happened.

He also said that it's Pink Floyd audio playing in the sequence of Dope movie when in fact it is a Soft Machine.

Thanks God we have documents such as this so no need to relay to such statements.

Jim, thank you very much for the great detective work and i wish you great success with auction!
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

Shakesomeaction wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:56 pmPink Floyd management contacted the auction house and because of copy right, they had to remove the Pink Floyd name from it, but there was no denying this is Pink Floyd backing.
The fact that the Pink Floyd management doesn't want Pink Floyd's name being used is a judgement on its own.

My guess is that it's really a recording of 'Early Morning Henry', but... not performed by Pink Floyd.
Nothing in the instrumentation sounds like Pink Floyd to me.

Drums could have been done by Smith, who did some uncredited drumming on the first two albums.
Which would mean that at least Mason isn't on this recording.

Maybe Smith made more than one demo of 'Early Morning Henry'? Of which you're owning a version by another group?
Or maybe the recording was done during studio time attributed, but not fully used by Pink Floyd? The remainder of a session, after the members left?

BTW. Wasn't this thought to be an early David Bowie demo?
hallucalation
Embryo
Embryo

Post by hallucalation »

Wolfpack wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:14 pm
The fact that the Pink Floyd management doesn't want Pink Floyd's name being used is a judgement on its own.

My guess is that it's really a recording of 'Early Morning Henry', but... not performed by Pink Floyd.
Nothing in the instrumentation sounds like Pink Floyd to me.

Drums could have been done by Smith, who did some uncredited drumming on the first two albums.
Which would mean that at least Mason isn't on this recording.

Maybe Smith made more than one demo of 'Early Morning Henry'? Of which you're owning a version by another group?
Or maybe the recording was done during studio time attributed, but not fully used by Pink Floyd? The remainder of a session, after the members left?

BTW. Wasn't this thought to be an early David Bowie demo?

Bass sounds to me like Rickenbacker.. so it's Roger. I have no idea if Syd is on it.

I wonder why is there is still a speculations since Jim provided copyright catalogue info. And there is info in both Random Precision and Complete Pink Floyd books that completely match everything together. There was only one single take. By Pink Floyd. Not by anyone else.

The rest it's all just speculation and guessing which is completely pointless at this point.

As for Pink Floyd management, i seem to remember their fight with Easy Action records over not to use Syd Barrett's name in promotion of their Last Minute Put Together Boogie Band CD which featured Syd on three cuts. They also made countless efforts to stop this release so it was in limbo for close to 10 years. Good job, Paul Loasby
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

There could be more recordings of 'Early Morning Henry', by artists other than Pink Floyd.

'Random Precision' only shows that a recording titled "Early Morning Henry" was made during a Pink Floyd session.
Maybe the recording was made during studio time booked for Pink Floyd, but without the group's actual involvement. Which would mean that a Pink Floyd version never has existed...
Shakesomeaction
Embryo
Embryo

Jarmanie Music library files clearly state the following information with regards to this acetate:
The library reference number was D 375 (on the Acetate sleeve), which complied with the library files of D 375 and they stated:
COMPOSER / VOCALS - William Butler,
BACKING BAND - PINK FLOYD,
RECORDING DATE 23/10/67,
PRODUCER : NORMAN SMITH,
COPYRIGHT - JARMANIE MUSIC,
UNRELEASED and
“DO NOT REMOVE - NO TAPE AVAILABLE” (which means there was no master tape in the library).

No disrespect Wolfpack, but if there is a wall near you go and argue with it instead.
Instead of celebrating the fact that this was found after 53 years, you are just trying to find a non existing reason why the might not be PF, oh well each to his own.
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

Shakesomeaction wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:14 pmJarmanie Music library files clearly state the following information with regards to this acetate:
The library reference number was D 375 (on the Acetate sleeve), which complied with the library files of D 375 and they stated:
RECORDING DATE 23/10/67,
UNRELEASED and
“DO NOT REMOVE - NO TAPE AVAILABLE” (which means there was no master tape in the library).
Where can these Jarmanie Music library files be checked?
So far I've only seen pictures of the acetate, accompanied by a studio sheet taken from 'Random Precision'.
Shakesomeaction wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:14 pmNo disrespect Wolfpack, but if there is a wall near you go and argue with it instead.
Instead of celebrating the fact that this was found after 53 years, you are just trying to find a non existing reason why the might not be PF, oh well each to his own.
To me, the drums don't sound like being by Mason at all.
And Smith has done uncredited drumming for Pink Floyd, so it could be him instead.

You've released a snippet which doesn't sound anything like Pink Floyd, except maybe using a Rickenbacker.
Where's Wright on this recording? What instrument is he playing?
Where's Barrett? Does the guitar sound anything like his?

I'd love to celebrate the discovery of a lost Barrett Pink Floyd recording, but so far I can't rule out it's a recording wrongly attributed to Pink Floyd.
At least, that snippet doesn't convince me. Release some excerpts which do sound like Pink Floyd being actually involved in this actual recording.

And mind you, I've watched a lot of Pawn Stars!
Maybe I should ask for a buddy! :)
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

Shakesomeaction wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:56 pm there was no denying this is Pink Floyd backing.
Of course there is denying.
Shakesomeaction wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:43 pm Sad that people with so much money care about some minor demo they have done as a favour back in the day
If they had less money I guess you'd find it less sad?
Wolfpack wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:44 pm I've watched a lot of Pawn Stars!
Revealing. I've watched 3 minutes of Pawn Stars.

There's no room on that shitty sounding demo for pf to sound like pf. That could be Barrett on guitar just as easily as it could not. Is there a piano? Maybe.
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

Kerry King wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:59 am Is there a piano? Maybe.
'I've got a grand piano to prop up my mortal remains.' Just kidding. :lol:
hallucalation
Embryo
Embryo

Post by hallucalation »

Wolfpack wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:44 pm

I'd love to celebrate the discovery of a lost Barrett Pink Floyd recording, but so far I can't rule out it's a recording wrongly attributed to Pink Floyd.
At least, that snippet doesn't convince me. Release some excerpts which do sound like Pink Floyd being actually involved in this actual recording.
Can anyone not hear Mrs. Mills grand piano on the track? Wow, seriously? Even with my tinnitus i could clearly hear that.

No one is forcing there anyone to buy it. I find a whole attitude to seller insulting, frankly. He provided sample and backstory, backstory fits with all documents. David Parker, who wrote Random Precision also 100% sure it's PF. I can clearly hear Roger & Rick playing on it as well. Anyone who had expected another Interstellar Overdrive is clearly wrong. This is just very basic demo with members of PF clearly playing not in their style.
Shakesomeaction
Embryo
Embryo

Wolfpack wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:44 pm
Shakesomeaction wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:14 pmJarmanie Music library files clearly state the following information with regards to this acetate:
RECORDING DATE 23/10/67,
UNRELEASED and
Where can these Jarmanie Music library files be checked?
So far I've only seen pictures of the acetate, accompanied by a studio sheet taken from 'Random Precision'.
Shakesomeaction wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:14 pmNo disrespect Wolfpack, but if there is a wall near you go and argue with it instead.
To me, the drums don't sound like being by Mason at all.
And Smith has done uncredited drumming for Pink Floyd, so it could be him instead.

You've released a snippet which doesn't sound anything like Pink Floyd, except maybe using a Rickenbacker.
Where's Barrett? Does the guitar sound anything like his?

And mind you, I've watched a lot of Pawn Stars!
Maybe I should ask for a buddy! :)
No one here is claiming this is a lost Barrett, or even a Pink Floyd written song, get your facts right first.
This is just a demo Pink Floyd helped a friend with and that is it, the fact and the history.

I don’t really care what you think, because you will probably won’t be able to afford it, get over it and move on.....