Live At Knebworth '90- April 30th 2021

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Live At Knebworth '90- April 30th 2021

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

CharlieBoy wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:02 am I accept that the 'intro' is a waste of time - but the song itself is magnificent! [-X
It's not one of my favorites, but when he played it in Toronto five years ago, it felt like an earthquake! I like the intro more than the song itself, and to see the tiny Gallien-Kruger amp he recorded it with, sitting on a shelf at the Christie's preview, was pretty comical. He came up with the same riff on the "Signs of Life" demo in '77 or '78...would've been an interesting addition to Animals or David Gilmour.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

CharlieBoy wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:02 am I accept that the 'intro' is a waste of time - but the song itself is magnificent! [-X
The whole song is garbage as far as I'm concerned. But that's just me. *shrug*

I mean...fuck...half of AMLOR is garbage. The only things worth listening to, in my view, are Signs Of Life, Learning To Fly, One Slip and On The Turning Away.

Everything else can go in the dustbin.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

mosespa wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:56 pmEverything else can go in the dustbin.
But in all fairness, Roger himself places RADIO K.A.O.S. in the dustbin, as do many other people.
PooF
Hammer
Hammer

Post by PooF »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:09 pmBut in all fairness, Roger himself places RADIO K.A.O.S. in the dustbin, as do many other people.
How the fuck is this relevant to this topic? Of course, any topic provides opportunity for the relentless (and largely selective quote based) pursuit of a childishly silly 'Yay for David, Boo to Roger' agenda. Not saying that you do that, but..*borrowed shrug*
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

PooF wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:15 pmHow the fuck is this relevant to this topic?
I'm a big fan of context. And I'm not very selective with my use of quotes - I tend to throw everything I can find about the subject in there. I actually wish that was a feature on this or some similar site: a chronological collection of pertinent quotes for each album and tour. Most of our knowledge about the band comes from books that simply paraphrased interviews from a band that famously gave very few interviews. It'd be one thing if I were copying and pasting one-liners from Dave and Roger, but that's not really the case, is it? Anyway, we'd stopped talking about Knebworth 24 hours ago.
PooF
Hammer
Hammer

Post by PooF »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:44 pmI'm a big fan of context.
So, please put this:
ZiggyZipgun wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:09 pmBut in all fairness, Roger himself places RADIO K.A.O.S. in the dustbin, as do many other people.
in context for this thread.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:09 pm
mosespa wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:56 pmEverything else can go in the dustbin.
But in all fairness, Roger himself places RADIO K.A.O.S. in the dustbin, as do many other people.
So, if Roger (and many other people) were to jump off a bridge, you'd consider it, too.

Got it!
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

PooF wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:18 pmSo, please put this...in context for this thread.
FreeFour wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:27 pmSorrow is a belter
mosespa wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:29 pmSadly, I despise Sorrow.

It might even be my LEAST favorite Pink Floyd song. It was certainly the only one I actually booed when The Pink Floyd Experience started playing it.
ZiggyZipgun wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:47 pmIt's not one of my favorites, but when he played it in Toronto five years ago, it felt like an earthquake! I like the intro more than the song itself, and to see the tiny Gallien-Kruger amp he recorded it with, sitting on a shelf at the Christie's preview, was pretty comical. He came up with the same riff on the "Signs of Life" demo in '77 or '78...would've been an interesting addition to Animals or David Gilmour.
mosespa wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:56 pmThe whole song is garbage as far as I'm concerned. But that's just me. *shrug*

I mean...fuck...half of AMLOR is garbage. The only things worth listening to, in my view, are Signs Of Life, Learning To Fly, One Slip and On The Turning Away.

Everything else can go in the dustbin.
You see, a "thread" is a linear discussion, and it's not confined to a single topic. I felt the KAOS comparison was relevant since it was made at the same time as AMLOR, and:
mosespa wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:39 amMy favorite solo album by any PF member is Radio KAOS, though.
What did any of this have to do with Live at Knebworth '90? Nothing, but feel free to volunteer to move all comments on the forum to the appropriate topic, thereby removing the linear aspect of a "thread". Perhaps what I should have asked is, now that we have new and improved versions of The Delicate Sound of Thunder and Live at Knebworth '90, when will we see a 4K UHD Blu Ray of the Radio K.A.O.S. tour? And, given Roger's now very successful solo career and pious fanbase, would it be well received?
mosespa wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:31 pmSo, if Roger (and many other people) were to jump off a bridge, you'd consider it, too.
I'd be busy watching the VonTrapped family celebration online.
PooF
Hammer
Hammer

Post by PooF »

^^^ If you want to be fair, and are so hell bent on bringing random Waters quotes into this, then perhaps this gem would flow on better from the Sorrow / AMLOR posts:

"A Momentary Lapse of Reason had a couple of really nice tunes on it that, had I still been in the band, those chord sequences and melodies would have been made it onto a record that I was involved in. But conceptually and lyrically, it's just rubbish, partly because it's not true. It's like, 'Let's try and write songs that sound as if they're Pink Floyd and make records that sound like Pink Floyd records.' "
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

PooF wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:16 am ^^^ If you want to be fair, and are so hell bent on bringing random Waters quotes into this, then...
What's funny is that I never once quoted Roger Waters in this thread, I merely referred to his general opinion over the years of one of his own albums. In threads specific said album? Sure - I've read everything I could find about it, and shared interviews that I found surprising. I've circled back to it many times, trying to appreciate it in the same terms as his earlier work, much of which I love dearly. So, to discover his own appraisal was that, as an album, it was seriously flawed in terms of storytelling, sound, and production - all of the elements that he is known for - it was more of a disappointment that he didn't make the album that he wanted, than the album was a disappointment for me to listen to. I have a lot of respect for his creative ideas, so I wanted to grasp it and hopefully like it, but it is incomplete. It was a bad time for many artists, but unlike AMLOR and Never Let Me Down, Roger hasn't revisited it to address its shortcomings.

The quote you provided is very fitting, but I did not have that on the top of my head when I replied. That whole interview is particularly interesting, for several reasons. Firstly, that he enjoyed some of the music on AMLOR, which is more than a lot of people will say about it. It also makes Division Bell the most recent album by anyone that he's claimed to have heard, having stated numerous times that he does not listen to other artists. That, and during that interview in 1999, he abruptly went right back into his story about Eric Stewart that he told to Penthouse 11 years earlier, randomly slinging mud at then-virtually-retired Gilmour again with the same old quotes. What can I say? He's a role model. :lol:
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

I don't see anything wrong with going off-topic, but then I've also always been a somewhat anarchically-minded, quasi-troll who has been banned from forums before even trying to register there.

And yes...I just admitted that I've tried to register at other sites only to find myself already banned. I think it's funny as fuck. Some people have single-micron thin skin and that's just sad.

We're here to communicate, not goose-step.

At least, I'M not here to goose-step...and I will openly and brazenly mock any and everyone who seems TO be.

Back on topic:

Live at Knebworth...coming soon to a vinyl store near you! :D
dj865
Blade
Blade

Post by dj865 »

7 tracks, 3 of which are on the Later Years "Highlights" CD - I don't think I need to buy this for 4 songs!
Eclipse

Post by Eclipse »

One of the most emotional parts of PF music is, IMO, Rick's solo of part 3. So hauntingly emotional and beautiful.
This solo is amazing in the PULSE version, but my all time favorite part 3 of SOYCD (well, at for the live versions I've listened to) surely is from this Knebworth performance. It still sends chills to me today, even more than the studio version. I have also watched the video of this performance and still feel moved by it.
Sadly, I think they only recorded good quality videos of SYOCD and Run Like Hell from this show.
Anyway, it is good to have an official audio release of this show without needing to get all that big later-years box.
IMO there's an overall magic vibe in all PF songs from this particular Knebworth show and I can never get bored by it.
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

its only £5.99 on I tunes
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

This particular show was, believe it or not, a cause of a long lasting Pink Floyd editing war on Wikipedia, regarding A Momentary Lapse of Reason Tour. Was the Knebworth 30 June 1990 show the final performance of that Tour (show number 199), or was it a separate thing and the tour consisted of 198 shows (9 September 1987 to 18 July 1989)? There was almost a year long break between 198 and 199, but on the other hand, the (abridged) Tour show was essentially performed. It was beautiful to read the arguments 8) Personally, I am more inclined to lump it with the Tour because of the set list and arrangements, but whatever.