The Wall 1982 Film- HDNet Version?

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Sakura4anime25
Embryo
Embryo

The Wall 1982 Film- HDNet Version?

Post by Sakura4anime25 »

I have the old DVD of the 1982 The Wall movie, and IMO the transfer looks quite outdated and bad by today's standards. I have heard that a little while ago, there was an HD broadcast of the film on something called HDNet that apparently looked at least somewhat better. I have looked online, but I have not been able to find this HDNet version of the movie. I wanted to take a look and see how it compares to the DVD.
Last edited by twcc on Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: EDIT in line with the forum rules
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The Wall 1982 Film- HDNet Version?

Post by twcc »

My 1999 Sony 'Tin Blue' DVD (it's a Region 1 version) with 5.1 sound is a pretty good hi-def transfer from the widescreen interpositive and is packed with extras including commentaries, unused stuff, promo videos etc and I'm happy with the transfer.

If you have the technology and can find a copy the Laser Disc has a Parker commentary, whereas the 1999 DVD has a commentary with Waters and Scarfe.
Sakura4anime25
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Sakura4anime25 »

I was hoping for something better than DVD quality visuals (I'm a huge film buff and I guess maybe I've been spoiled by all these stunningly gorgeous 4K transfers coming out and my standards are fairly high now lol) so that's why I wanted to check out this HDNet version.
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc »

Many would like UHD versions of all their favourite films, but Sony (and I suspect Roger) have looked at this and made a decision. Nothing to stop you responding to the UHD questionnaires from Sony or just dropping them an e-mail asking. Given the scan was made for the 1999 hi-def deluxe version on DVD then logically a 2K (Blu-ray) could be put out quickly but I'm sure they would prefer to push the later ie RW versions of The Wall.

Slightly OFF TOPIC, the film 'Us + Them' was made available on-line in 4K but no commercial 'physical media' has been issued in 4K, maybe for the same reasons ... RW and Co have probably reviewed and made a decision to not issue. I find the decision odd as the work has been done to create a master but the next step not taken. The same is true of many films, music and otherwise, and not everything can be re-re-re-issued despite many thinking the studios just want to keep repackaging to make punters buy duplicate copies.
RemembranceCCF
Embryo
Embryo

Post by RemembranceCCF »

It's probably worth noting that the color grading is also substantially different on each release, getting darker and darker from the original VHS in the 80's. The animated segments, especially The Trial, are exceptionally close to the tour versions in the first VHS release, so it's very sad to see the highest resolution version out there has such poor grading as well compared to even the VHS's.