Made Another Fan Edit...

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Made Another Fan Edit...

Post by theaussiefloydian »

So the last fan edit I put together was my attempt at an extended version of The Wall, which I named The Last Few Bricks (talked about that on one the thread "Yet Another Fan Edit"), but now I've turned my sights to The Division Bell and The Endless River. The goal of this fan edit was to make a best guess at what the album would have looked like if they had gone with their original concept - a double album where one disc was all instrumental and the other disc was all songs. I did attempt this before, but I wasn't particularly pleased with it. Now, having access to the Later Years content as well, I think I've arrived at a track list that I like:

INSTRUMENTAL - SIDE A
1. Cluster One
2. Sum
3. Skins
4. It's What We Do
5. An Endless River (Slippery Guitar)

INSTRUMENTAL - SIDE B
1. Astoria (Blues 1)
2. Marooned
3. Things Left Unsaid
4. Ebb and Flow
5. Dawn Chorus (TBS9)
6. Surfacing
7. Down to Earth (an edit of the intro from Louder than Words and Rick's Theme)

SONGS - SIDE C
1. Take It Back
2. Coming Back to Life
3. Poles Apart
4. Wearing the Inside Out

SONGS - SIDE D
1. Keep Talking
2. A Great Day for Freedom
3. Lost for Words
4. High Hopes

If anyone wants to give it a listen shoot me a PM and I'll see what I can do about getting it to you (off forum of course). Also any additional notes would be neat - I'm pretty happy with this tracklist, but feedback is always useful!
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Made Another Fan Edit...

And... made yet another one.
This one is based on the alternate universe idea where Wish You Were Here had just been "Shine On You Crazy Diamond", "Raving and Drooling" and "You've Got to Be Crazy". This was fairly easy of course, except for getting Side 1 under half an hour - had to cut some phrases out of "Raving and Drooling" and "You've Got to Be Crazy". The final edit is still nearly 28 minutes long, but given that the second side of Atom Heart Mother is 28:22 I decided that's good enough. I also got "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" to be under 24 minutes by placing the opening bassline of "Part VI" under the fade out saxophone from "Part V" (inspired by The Extraction Tapes).

RAVING AND DROOLING (51:31)

SIDE A (27:48):
1. Raving and Drooling (12:03)
2. You've Got to Be Crazy (15:45)

SIDE B (23:43):
3. Shine On You Crazy Diamond (23:43)
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

theaussiefloydian wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 3:04 amThis one is based on the alternate universe idea where Wish You Were Here had just been "Shine On You Crazy Diamond", "Raving and Drooling" and "You've Got to Be Crazy".
This is what Gilmour wanted, but he was outvoted by the rest of the bamd. And, according to Gilmour, it was also start of the famous schism between him and Waters.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

space triangle wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 3:50 pm This is what Gilmour wanted, but he was outvoted by the rest of the bamd. And, according to Gilmour, it was also start of the famous schism between him and Waters.
However I have seen Gilmour put on recording in an interview that he was wrong there and that Roger was right "not for the first time", so he might be embellishing a little bit there.