Your favourite Wish You Were Here LIVE

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Your favourite Wish You Were Here LIVE

Post by theaussiefloydian »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:57 pm Based on Nick's comments regarding the lack of available material for the Animals Immersion set, they either don't feel the recording quality is up to snuff, or the process of restoring the audio is what's holding up its release.
I just assumed that meant there wasn't enough to justify a big box set. If they had a soundboard of the In the Flesh Tour I'd assume that would be an Experience Edition set at the most.
And yeah, maybe the cleaning up is what is taking a long time. Assuming a Middle Years set ever happens, I suspect we'll see something from the In the Flesh Tour then.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

theaussiefloydian wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 3:21 am I just assumed that meant there wasn't enough to justify a big box set. If they had a soundboard of the In the Flesh Tour I'd assume that would be an Experience Edition set at the most.
And yeah, maybe the cleaning up is what is taking a long time. Assuming a Middle Years set ever happens, I suspect we'll see something from the In the Flesh Tour then.
The Wembley '74 recording took some trickery to fix it up, but it was already a decent multi-track recording. If all that exists of the '75 and '77 tours are raw stereo soundboard recordings, there's no way to remix or remaster them without resorting to the great lengths that were used to reconstruct The Beatles' Live at the Hollywood Bowl - creating spectral models to extract each instrument and vocal to start from scratch. I'm sure it could be done, and I would imagine that Gilmour and Mason would support that effort. I still don't think a Middle Years set will happen.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 3:49 am I still don't think a Middle Years set will happen.
It might not (probably won't), but I can hold out hope because I would like to have things like In the Flesh Tour, the soundtrack version of The Wall (probably trivial, but I would like that without the movie sounds over it if for no other reason "What Shall We Do Now?") and that film of The Wall Live that Roger swears he has but won't release.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

I don't know why those weren't included in The Wall Immersion set, but since they weren't I don't think they'll see the light of day, at least until all three are dead and that material is in someone else's hands. Roger has been pushing to get the 5.1 mix of Animals released; Nick says the Immersion set will definitely happen, so Dave must be holding off for a good reason.
penguinzzz
Axe
Axe

Post by penguinzzz »

The Animals 5.1 has been in limbo since Waters / Gilmour had their (latest) falling out a few years ago. There's no sign of either backing down any time soon, unfortunately.

The In the Flesh tour recordings - some apparently open air mike - appear to have been deemed unworthy of restoration / release. In all honesty I suspect both Waters & Gilmour feel they have performed / released better versions from their own tours which we should be happy with.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

penguinzzz wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 9:42 am The Animals 5.1 has been in limbo since Waters / Gilmour had their (latest) falling out a few years ago. There's no sign of either backing down any time soon, unfortunately.
The mix was created for the Immersion set, but Roger was asking Dave to release it separately in the meantime; Dave said no, so they're waiting on something. New artwork was also created by Hipgnosis and is ready to go.
penguinzzz
Axe
Axe

Post by penguinzzz »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:18 am
penguinzzz wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 9:42 am The Animals 5.1 has been in limbo since Waters / Gilmour had their (latest) falling out a few years ago. There's no sign of either backing down any time soon, unfortunately.
The mix was created for the Immersion set, but Roger was asking Dave to release it separately in the meantime; Dave said no, so they're waiting on something. New artwork was also created by Hipgnosis and is ready to go.
There was never an 'Immersion set' planned for Animals - if there was presumably the early Wembley versions would have been saved for it.

The current impasse appears to date from the pulling of the Meddle 5.1 on The Early Years / Guthrie vs Jackson / general Waters - Gilmour stuff. There's enough about it all out there already.

Maybe we'll see the Guthrie 5.1 at some point. As for live / studio extras? It's looking unlikely.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

penguinzzz wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 5:45 pm There was never an 'Immersion set' planned for Animals
This is what I thought too. I know they were planning A box set with the 5.1 mix, but the Experience / Immersion editions were made specifically for the "Why Pink Floyd" reissue campaign, which was specifically structured in three phases - each phase for one of the "big three" albums. An Animals deluxe box set would probably work along the same lines as an Immersion box set, but it would not be named as such.
penguinzzz wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 5:45 pm As for live / studio extras? It's looking unlikely.
Oh very unlikely, but I can dream :lol:
penguinzzz
Axe
Axe

Post by penguinzzz »

theaussiefloydian wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 6:50 pm
penguinzzz wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 5:45 pm As for live / studio extras? It's looking unlikely.
Oh very unlikely, but I can dream :lol:
Absolutely - I wish I could be more optimistic. I'd take a King Crimson-style box of every recording session plus the whole tour!

I never would have believed they would release half the Early Years box stuff before it happened so maybe there's hope. Unfortunately the process of getting that together appears to have contributed to the current situation.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

penguinzzz wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 5:45 pm There was never an 'Immersion set' planned for Animals
Well Nick was the most vocal about it, and has been suggesting for the past ten years that Animals would be next, but he also said he wanted an Immersion set of A Saucerful of Secrets. He did point out that the whole "Why Pink Floyd?" project was the record company's idea:

"When things go right, it's of course your idea. But this was EMI's idea...A lot of people worked very hard. None of them were myself."

So we can assume that anything that can be restored will be restored and released, just in later boxed set campaigns.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 11:26 am Well Nick was the most vocal about it, and has been suggesting for the past ten years that Animals would be next, but he also said he wanted an Immersion set of A Saucerful of Secrets.
I daresay now though anything that would have been covered on a Saucerful of Secrets deluxe set is on Cambridge St/ation and Germin/ation now so that probably won't happen now.
And hopefully Nick is right about a deluxe set of Animals. If nothing else the studio recording of "Raving and Drooling" would be nice to have in better condition than The Extraction Tapes.
MrMan2000
Embryo
Embryo

Post by MrMan2000 »

Shine On - Wembley 74 show. Water's version on In The Flesh is 2nd place.
Welcome to the Machine - In The Flesh version
Wish You Were Here - Tie between Pulse and Delicate Sound of Thunder versions